Fish handling for each LR boat?

Bud B

Fear the Kraken
Dec 5, 2004
Name
Bud
Boat
Spotfin
Anywhere to find how each boat handles there catch in one easy place instead of calling each landing/boat?

Do they have the rubber mats, bleed, gut/gill, brain/pith, etc. When do they brine and when do they start using the RSW. How long can they RSW. This type of thing. For each of the LR boats.

Any help appreciated.

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Bud,

I do not have all the information you desire, but hopefully will clarify the fish handling situation.

If I am not mistaken, all of the following boats have RSW and will usually use it for up to 7-8 days depending on the fish size and type. Sometimes they will have both RSW & brine available.

From what I understand, only the Royal Star does the full Taniguchi method; bleed, gut/gill, brain/pith prior to storage in the RSW slammers. Most of the others perform most steps except the wire down the spine (pithing) depending on the fish size.

The boats listed in bold font also use rubber matts or have a rubberized deck.

If someone knows otherwise, please let us know!

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 99pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=132 border=0><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 99pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4827" width=132><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes" height=20><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 99pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=132 height=20>American Angler</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 3" height=20><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=20>Excel</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 4" height=20><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=20><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
</st1:place><st1:City w_x003a_st="on">Independence</st1:City> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=20>Intrepid</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 7; mso-height-source: userset" height=20><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=20>Polaris Supreme</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 8; mso-height-source: userset" height=20><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=20>Qualifier 105</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 9; mso-height-source: userset" height=21><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=21>Red Rooster 3</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.25pt; mso-yfti-irow: 10; mso-height-source: userset" height=19><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 14.25pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=19>Royal Polaris</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 11; mso-height-source: userset" height=20><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=20>Royal Star</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 12; mso-height-source: userset" height=20><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=20>Searcher</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 13" height=20><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=20>Shogun</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 14" height=20><TD class=xl64 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=20>Spirit of Adventure</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 16; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes" height=20><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=20>Vagabond</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Regards,

- Jeff

vu308

Dec 27, 2010
Folsom, CA
Name
Vu
Guys,

Could you explain RSW? Also, does the deck hand perform all the above mentioned items like bleed, gut, and gill as a SOP, or do you have to ask?

Ready4TheYellow

The Fishing Guru
Mar 15, 2006
Lomita
Name
Steve
Boat
The Fishing SHO
Guys,

Could you explain RSW? Also, does the deck hand perform all the above mentioned items like bleed, gut, and gill as a SOP, or do you have to ask?
Refrigerated Salt Water hold. Keeps your catch fresh as the day you caught it. The Royal Star is the only boat I believe that uses this as their SOP. Other boats will do it on request.

All fish are Bled as a SOP.

CHUBACA6

Jul 29, 2007
LA
Name
Oscar
Boat
none yet
After getting off an 8 day last year the the catch was not in the best of shape.After picking it up from the processer I asked who consistently handles the catch better of all the LR boats and the response was Royal Star and American Angler in that order.

JonesyPHD

Dec 1, 2009
O'side
Name
John
Boat
12ft Yak
I did a 7 day in Sept/Oct on the Star with Jeff/Screamingreel...I came home with close to 200lbs of "perfect" fish. I have made everything from sashimi, to seared, to poke, to BBQ'd. I was very impressed at the way the crew "specifically" makes an effort to enhance the quality of the fish going into the hold.

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
Royal Polaris - sold the boat
The RP typically goes to the RSW after the first couple of days on a long trip.. I do believe they told me that they can RSW for 7 or 8 days ???

They will gill/gut the fish.. and quickly get it into the tank...

It is a night and day difference in the quality of the product as compared to the brine..

Tight lines,

Jeff

Bud B

Fear the Kraken
Dec 5, 2004
Name
Bud
Boat
Spotfin
Really appreciate the replies guys. Great info Screamingreel and a excellent starting point for me to do a little more research.

I'll post the outcome.

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
The Intrepid bleeds, guts and gills then RSW pretty standard from my last two trips.

That being said, most all boats like to keep the big ones whole for glamor shots at the docks especially if it might be jackpot fish.... I have not been on the Star, but both the American Angler, and the Intrepid like to keep the big ones whole... they will bleed, but will only gill and gut if you ask.....

Also four years ago when I was on the American Angler in a in a wide open bite of fish from about 70 to 180 and they said they did not have time to gill and gut, so they were bleeding them and then putting them in the RSW....

I think there is some flexibility depending on how busy it is.... Trying to gaff fish, tend to the catch and get it cooling in the RSW is more important than gill and gut every fish....

old salt

master baiter
Feb 4, 2009
laguna beach ca
Name
mark
Boat
salty woodward 18. anderson 26 "Kiwi Magic"
i just thawed some yellowtail from a 8 day last may on the royal star.I ate some as hamachi and it was as good as the sushi bar.the quality is in the care and time the RS puts into the fish handling.

May 21, 2006
Santa Barbara, Ca
Name
John Wightman
Boat
T2
The Apollo does a fantastic job of taking care of your catch.
How do I know--The Processors told me.
You may want to check out Fishermans Processing, they give you an option of 3mm or 5mm bags, plus smoking services and jerky.

Deep Water Sailor

Mike G ...

Mar 11, 2010
Lafayette/CA/USA
Name
Mike
Boat
none
Was on same May 28 trip and ditto Mark (Old Salt) re Royal Star. Defrosted and served some BFT seered and sashimi two weeks ago two extended family and was in excellent shape. Also gave a package of smoked Alabacore to my Dad to take home which he munched on for a week with superlative grades.

All the RS deckhands are pros, and can recall on on troll stop with more than 20-30 BFT on the deck in what seemed like a few minutes and more coming over the rail, there was what appeared to be a very organized and concerted effort to care for the fish during mass pandemoneum and excitement (to me). With the other crew mostly attending to the anglers and gaffing along with Drew out of the galley and Tim off the bridge, deckhand Sean in particular appeared to work like a machine to quickly bleed, gill, gut, wire down the spine and promptly tag correctly each fish before into the RSW. All done on the back deck as they come aboard with none put in the box to deal with later when things calmed down. Amazing crew hustle.

Mike

Rodman 28

Jan 11, 2011
Millbrae Ca
Name
Mark Stephen
Just returned from a 10 day trip aboard the Independence. I cannot say enough how pleased I was with the fish handeling aboard this vessel. The Yellow Fin Tuna were instantly "spiked" in the brain....plithed, stomachs flushed empty with pressured salt water & instantly placed into the R.S.W...fish were not gutted nor gilled. Upon arriving back at San Diego, I utilized "5 Star" fish processing company. Very pleased with their facilities (New & Very Clean, can view the entire cleaning process). I live with a Japanese woman. Her company is entirely Japanese employees....I gave her the processed tuna for her co-workers to try...& every one stated the tuna was the "Best" they ever had....including the Sushi restaurants in Japan...The product was truely "Sashimi Grade Tuna"....I was also able to catch numerous Groupers...10 lb average...& a 40 lb Amberjack....just had the Amberjack for dinner tonight.............EXCELLENT!!!.....for you that have never fished Clarion Island...I would strongly suggest you go.....The quality of fishing is like going back in time 100 years......makes me SAD!!! to come home to San Francisco & think about .....How things have collasped!!!!.....Mark

etwizard

Mar 29, 2004
No California
Name
solomon
Boat
Free 4 All
I can not speak for what happened on the AA four years ago, but... the crew on the AA for the last two trips (11 day) took GREAT care of all our fish. They were very quick dispatching the tuna, bleeding the fish, gutting and gilling. All the fish that were jackpot contenders were weighed before they were gutted and gilled. After all that they were lickety split into the RSW.
I've never eaten better tuna.
Just my experience.

The Intrepid bleeds, guts and gills then RSW pretty standard from my last two trips.

That being said, most all boats like to keep the big ones whole for glamor shots at the docks especially if it might be jackpot fish.... I have not been on the Star, but both the American Angler, and the Intrepid like to keep the big ones whole... they will bleed, but will only gill and gut if you ask.....

Also four years ago when I was on the American Angler in a in a wide open bite of fish from about 70 to 180 and they said they did not have time to gill and gut, so they were bleeding them and then putting them in the RSW....

I think there is some flexibility depending on how busy it is.... Trying to gaff fish, tend to the catch and get it cooling in the RSW is more important than gill and gut every fish....

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
I can not speak for what happened on the AA four years ago, but... the crew on the AA for the last two trips (11 day) took GREAT care of all our fish. They were very quick dispatching the tuna, bleeding the fish, gutting and gilling. All the fish that were jackpot contenders were weighed before they were gutted and gilled. After all that they were lickety split into the RSW.
Just my experience.

I have heard from a couple of processors the American Angler has the best quality. There are times when the fish is raining on, and perhaps you cannot gut and gill them.
Most times they do.

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
Just my experience.
As stated above it was wide open and they didn't have time. Brian even explained to us that he was more concerned with getting them in the RSW and not having them sit on deck, some had not been gilled and gutted. As stated I think flexibility is key if they are too busy..... some of mine were, some weren't... I could not tell the difference in taste.

Definitely not saying they didn't take great care of the fish... the quality was awesome.... The gut and gill thing has not always been done, and maybe it has become even more mainstream.

We did plug the boat in three days and only had enough room for some yellows as we head up the line....