Drew Stephens

Almost A Member
Dec 6, 2017
Ventura, CA
Name
Drew Stephens
Boat
Sunbird Neptune 230
Whatsup guys. First let me start off I’m still getting used to this “fathometer” as some people call it. Anyways I went after some sea bass recently at Santa Cruz and I want some other peoples opinion. I forget I changed all my settings for rockfishing and never changed it back so I can tell my gains a little high. Anyways 1st photo. Further inspection of the side scanning picture looks like kelp to me. Maybe some fish suspended along it? Second photo looks to me like I ran over a school of seabass. People always told me seabass show up as “worms” due to their swim bladder. The clearvü on the right side clears up all the clutter. Third photo I can tell it’s a school of fish only due to the clearvü on the right side. Had I been using strictly the traditional on the left I’d have no clue. Last photo stumps me, I screenshotted it from a sport boats Instagram feed. They got limits of seabass and added that in the post. They were fishing less than a mile of me all day. Looks nothing like what I saw. Can anyone walk me through what YOU see in my photos? Or post up some pictures of larger and smaller fish you took on your finder while fishing? And no didn’t catch anything over any of these marks in the pictures.
1DB6F020-AB88-436B-BE06-376487F53718.jpeg
A77B5DF5-457A-464F-A61E-A72858712FEA.jpeg
ED4C8AFC-8B79-4C3F-8BBF-ECAC62C464E0.jpeg

A626ED93-40BA-4728-9E53-6E9098315CBC.jpeg

7795C93E-CAF3-4E53-840E-07BB5BC8517E.jpeg

Upvote 0

BluefinCurly

Skipper
Aug 15, 2004
Central Texas
Name
Carl
Boat
Vagabond, The Last Minute
agree with Dozer.

pic 1 looks like kelp with some bass or kelp fish suspending.

pic 2 IF you were stationary, then yes seabass do tend to look like worms when suspended in the current

3. looks like baitfish

4. Dunno. He is running white line. If it wasn't so dark red I would say he could have been over a squid nest, so not sure.

Reactions: Blackfish and esgeo
Upvote 0

Crowman

Almost A Member
Mar 3, 2017
Northern California
Name
Crowman
Boat
YES
Your seabass are Rockfish. The worms are fish that are swimming under your boat when your dead in the water or slow drifting. There's a ton of YouTube video's that will educate you on how to use your unit. The echo is from a fishes air bladder that have them but fish like lingcod don't have air bladders so they won't show on your screen unless they have a fish that has an air bladder in their stomach.

Upvote 0