writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
Jan 16, 2007
Arizona
Name
Brian
Boat
Whoever is Hot that week
Anyone know the current prices to have crew filet these 80-100lb fish?

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    A gilled and gutted Bluefin of about a hundred pounds taped-out will likely be around 85 to 90 pounds on the processor's scale. They will charge you over a hundred bucks to give you fillets in vac-seal bags, and if you have to hussle back to Arizona without waiting they can ship the fillets to you in a few days, arriving perfectly, for more bucks.

Different boats charge different amounts, be sure to get the price before agreeing to their cleaning service, but it will be much less. BUT you will still have work to do at home, because the tuna can't be broken down into dozens of fillets while at sea per DFW regulations, as I'm sure you know.

Reactions: kbray001
    Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Dec 3, 2014
    Chula Vista
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Fond Memory
    As stated you will still have a lot of work to do especially if the fish is big. This is what you will get;
    “Onboard deckhands will now only be able to offer their fillet services by cutting tuna into six pieces, and keeping skin attached: four loins (two upper and two lower), belly fillet including the pelvic fins and urogenital vent, and the collar with pectoral fins attached. Each fish must be placed in its own bag and labeled with the species’ common name”

Reactions: surfgoose
    Upvote 0

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
    Jan 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Whoever is Hot that week
    Headed out on the Top Gun 80 Wednesday night. I don’t really eat fish. I have a buddy who wants me to bring him a fish home if I get one. I don’t have time to deal with 5 Star and the extra work will be his not mine. He’s an Angler and owns a vacuum packer. So if I tell him it will definitely be less then $1 a pound on the boat that should be safe?

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Headed out on the Top Gun 80 Wednesday night. I don’t really eat fish. I have a buddy who wants me to bring him a fish home if I get one. I don’t have time to deal with 5 Star and the extra work will be his not mine. He’s an Angler and owns a vacuum packer. So if I tell him it will definitely be less then $1 a pound on the boat that should be safe?
    That would be a good estimate, But,, as other people said, Your wasting your money by having the boat filet them for you. You will get 6 pieces as stated above with out the blood line removed and more than likely the skin attached. Either have them gill and gut it make a reservation with one of the three processors and tell them it's only one fish and you need to get on the road and also tell them they don't need to vacuum pack it and you'll probably be on in/out in a few minutes. Money well spent.

Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Dec 3, 2014
    Chula Vista
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Fond Memory
    I would call the landing about this, if it’s strictly a big BFT trip cutting up the fish on board may not even be an option. I don’t recall any fish getting cut on my last couple trips, they Gill and gut before dropping them into the RSW and that’s it, next time you see them they are laid out on the dock by a cone with your number on it 😉

Upvote 0

Dozer217

Almost A Member
    Aug 12, 2010
    LBC
    if you are in a hurry make a reservation with one of the processor and they should have it done early same day otherwise maybe trade fish with someone if they land something smaller that easily fits in a 100qt cooler.

Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
    Sep 7, 2007
    la habra hts
    Name
    mike garrahan
    Boat
    23 ft. crestliner
    Most people get their big fish handled by one of the processors or take them home whole. If there are only one or two people who want them cleaned on the boat the crew won't pull all of the fish out of the RSW and throw them on the deck looking for 1 or 2 fish. Once they get back to the dock and pull all the fish they might clean a couple for you if they have time before the next trip. Small school size fish are usually $5 to $10, medium size fish like 30 to 40 lbs are usually around $10 to $20 each, bigger fish will vary a lot by size and boat. You could have fish anywhere from 40lbs to over 200lbs. The processors are charging around $1.10 a lb this year. The boat price to clean a fish will be much less but the final product will be far different than what you will get from the processors.

Upvote 0

Airbike

Jul 23, 2015
    SoCal
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    NA
    Check with your crew.
    The last trip I was on, the crew said they would not fillet the larger 100+ lb tunas as they were just too much to handle.
    Might be different if there were only a few fish but I wouldn't count on having jumbo fish filleted on board.

Upvote 0

eat'm_raw

person of interest
  • Mar 7, 2006
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    15 ' Hobie Power Skiff
    Last time I was on the TG80, they didn't even offer fish cleaning.

As others have said, you're just ruining that killer sushi-grade BFT to have it done on board, anyway.

Upvote 0