PENN

cioppino

Dec 16, 2005
San Diego
Name
Dave
Boat
FORTUNA -- Parker 2510 XLD
Short story. Took my 6 and 9 year old sons fishing. Caught 2 YFT & Limits of YT.

The Tale

They each landed their first yellowfin and yellowtail today. Got 2 YFT on the troll. One in US waters on Dolphin and the other in Mexican waters west of the lower 9. One on a cedar plug the other on a Xrap greenback. We also limited on YT on dines off of one kelp.
This morning they had no idea I had planned to take them fishing. I woke them at 630 and told them today we are going catching so lets roll. Amazingly there were both takers and we were out the door by 715. We made a pit stop to pick up a new plug for my boat since the last jackhole I took fishing decided to take it home with him. Good help is hard to find. Anyway we stopped and loaded up some decent looking sardines and left the bay at 8am. The radio was buzzing with great reports of jig strikes and bait fish so when I saw a small pod of dolphin north of the islands in US waters I slowed and put the trollers out. Five minutes later.....HOOK UP! They had to take turns fighting the fish and worked great together getting it in. One would steady the rod and the other would guide the line on the reel. I only helped clear the prop and gaff the fish.
With the skunk off and the stoke on we headed southwest towards a small fleet that amassed around the San Diego. I really hate crowds, especially with kids on board, so we passed right by that area continuing into open uncrowded waters. Around 10am I spotted a nice little kelp and trolleed by...zzzzzzzzzz hook up! The cedar plug gets inhaled by a nice 15lb yellow and when we slid up on the kelp the kids could see Yellows swimming everywhere. For the next 1.5 hours every bait that hit the water was immediately inhaled. I would cast the bait out, put the clicker on, and they would do the rest. As soon as the clicker started screaming they put the reel in gear, set the hook, and started hooting! It truly was chaos for a while. Semi organized chaos that the two of them will be dreaming about all night.
Fortunately the yellows were the smaller grade. Just big enough to give my boys all they could handle. So by noon we had 17 fish on board and were heading for home. We had to leave them biting. My oldest didn't like that, so I explained that limits meant we could only catch 15 yellows. We then heard a boater call out he reached his limit of 20 yft west of us. My son wanted to know why they could keep 20, but we could only catch 15. 5 per person is how the limit is established I explained. His reply, we need to bring more people next time!!!
Turned out to be an incredible day out there.
Go get some!

20140714_144743 (2).jpg

20140714_162320.jpg

Upvote 0

robert0769

Almost A Member
Sep 29, 2007
vista, ca
Name
Robert
Boat
20' Grady White, name Dryfish
Awesome awesome awesome!! Great to hear they had fun and you got fish! Did you try any while it was wiggling?? I'm taking two of my kids in 3 hours!! Heading out of mission bay same direction as you. Hopefully we have the same luck! I can't wait to take a slice.

Reactions: Tdubbzskis
Upvote 0

cioppino

Dec 16, 2005
San Diego
Name
Dave
Boat
No wiggling or twitching treats today. Breaded, seared, and chilled some loins when we got home. Delicious! My kids LOVE eating fish, especially after today.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Johnlgarrison

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 27, 2009
Temecula CA USA!
www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
Name
Johnny Garrison
Boat
Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
Great memories right there, way to go dad. I spent Sunday fishing with my son (He's 25 now). He's my favorite person to fish with.

Reactions: GOFAST88
Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Sounds awesome! going out friday morning, and hoping for some action like that. my boy has to sit this one out though, he's got a baseball game on saturday, and he usually gets the lazies after a day of fishing.

Upvote 0

MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
May 21, 2006
Frazier Park
Name
Mikee
Boat
12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
What a fantastic trip, it don't get no better than that!!

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

NATIVE

Deeper and Faster
Apr 2, 2008
Earth
Name
'Smitty'
Boat
BaseCamp Parker 2520
Short story. Took my 6 and 9 year old sons fishing. Caught 2 YFT & Limits of YT.

The Tale

They each landed their first yellowfin and yellowtail today. Got 2 YFT on the troll. One in US waters on Dolphin and the other in Mexican waters west of the lower 9. One on a cedar plug the other on a Xrap greenback. We also limited on YT on dines off of one kelp.
This morning they had no idea I had planned to take them fishing. I woke them at 630 and told them today we are going catching so lets roll. Amazingly there were both takers and we were out the door by 715. We made a pit stop to pick up a new plug for my boat since the last jackhole I took fishing decided to take it home with him. Good help is hard to find. Anyway we stopped and loaded up some decent looking sardines and left the bay at 8am. The radio was buzzing with great reports of jig strikes and bait fish so when I saw a small pod of dolphin north of the islands in US waters I slowed and put the trollers out. Five minutes later.....HOOK UP! They had to take turns fighting the fish and worked great together getting it in. One would steady the rod and the other would guide the line on the reel. I only helped clear the prop and gaff the fish.
With the skunk off and the stoke on we headed southwest towards a small fleet that amassed around the San Diego. I really hate crowds, especially with kids on board, so we passed right by that area continuing into open uncrowded waters. Around 10am I spotted a nice little kelp and trolleed by...zzzzzzzzzz hook up! The cedar plug gets inhaled by a nice 15lb yellow and when we slid up on the kelp the kids could see Yellows swimming everywhere. For the next 1.5 hours every bait that hit the water was immediately inhaled. I would cast the bait out, put the clicker on, and they would do the rest. As soon as the clicker started screaming they put the reel in gear, set the hook, and started hooting! It truly was chaos for a while. Semi organized chaos that the two of them will be dreaming about all night.
Fortunately the yellows were the smaller grade. Just big enough to give my boys all they could handle. So by noon we had 17 fish on board and were heading for home. We had to leave them biting. My oldest didn't like that, so I explained that limits meant we could only catch 15 yellows. We then heard a boater call out he reached his limit of 20 yft west of us. My son wanted to know why they could keep 20, but we could only catch 15. 5 per person is how the limit is established I explained. His reply, we need to bring more people next time!!!
Go get some!

View attachment 527969

View attachment 527972

FANTASTIC! So cool -

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    :appl:

Upvote 0

cioppino

Dec 16, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Great report and excellent bleeding and icing of your catch!

I cut the neck and gills immediately, letting them bleed out in the extra bait tank with the water running. Once the water is clear they get placed into the ice slushy. So far the quality of the meat has been fantastic.

A few more pics from the day. Have a great little video too, just have to edit it first.

Screenshot_2014-07-15-13-30-57.png

Screenshot_2014-07-15-13-37-05.png

Screenshot_2014-07-15-13-37-53.png

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Troy

Under the Radar
    Sep 12, 2005
    Bird Rock
    Name
    Troy
    Boat
    Pez Loco
    Awesome. I love the full length fish storage on the boat. That's a nice set up. Easy to access.

Perfect size YT for the boys too.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    Awesome job!!!

All these reports are killing me! I've got another 2 weeks minimum before I even have a chance to get out! I'm completely landlocked right now and not digging it!! :(

I have a dad and his young son who I have promised to take out, and this is exactly what I have been waiting to get them on!

Congrats to you guys!!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

mattsfishn

Nov 27, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    Someday

The Tale

Go get some!

View attachment 527969

View attachment 527972
    That is so flipping rad. Nice job!

Upvote 0