First Yellow Tail!

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by sdbrewer, May 17, 2010.

1. sdbrewer

sdbrewer Newbie

Name:
    Whit
    Boat:
    One Day
    Yesterday I took my 10 year old son on the Mission Belle ¾ day boat. For those that don’t already know, kids fish for free with a paid adult out of the San Diego bay landings until the end of May: http://www.sportfishing.org/DAD00/maypromo.html A big thank you for all who make that possible!

We had a great time on the boat. My son met another youngster named Nick whose grandfather, Will, was taking him out and the two kept each other entertained most of the day.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]I’m still relatively new to saltwater fishing and have never caught a yellowtail. On one of the early stops, I hooked one. Scott, the cook hooked another at the same time and passed his rod to my son. That fish came off so I passed mine off to my son. He fought the fish for a while and eventually got it into the boat with the help of some coaching by the captain and some expert gaff work. It made our day! Right around 16 lbs on the digital scale on the boat.

[FONT=border=][FONT=border=]I highly recommend the Mission Belle for those looking for a ¾ day boat. Top notch service and a very pleasant crew. Captain worked hard and burned what seemed to me a lot of fuel to chase down the yellows. We saw quite a few groups of fish throughout the day but they seemed skittish and reluctant to bite. Several times we would move up on a group and they would disappear. Sometimes, we would get lucky and hook a couple but never got into a solid bite. I believe the most we had hooked at one time was four. For the most part, it was one or two at a time. If I remember correctly, there were 26 anglers on the boat and we caught 11 or 12 yellows along with one sand bass and a couple of rock fish. The majority of the yellows came on fly lined bait with little or no weight. One or two on the dropper loop and one or two on a surface iron (mint if I recall correctly). I watched the cleaning to see what they had been eating. All the fish seemed to be feeding on small fish and squid, both about 1.5 to 2 inches long.

<o:p></o:p>
    Didn’t have the camera with me so cell phone pix will have to do:
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Attached Files:

• FY1.jpg
      FY1.jpg
      File size:
      28.4 KB
      Views:
    • FY4.jpg
      FY4.jpg
      File size:
      19.3 KB
      Views:
    • FY6.jpg
      FY6.jpg
      File size:
      26.9 KB
      Views:
  2. jeffr1269

jeffr1269 The Cooler

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    20' Neptune C/C, "no name yet"
    Nice report. Thanks. That's priceless taking the boy out there. After a few more, he'll stop holding them like a kitty cat...:-) Love the AC/DC shirt. He'll be talking about this trip for a while.

3. Reel hip

Reel hip Meet my "Well known Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Good job Dad!. I know you were just as happy that he got the first one before you.Here's to the beginning of a long lasting tradition!

Attached Files:

4. BigJack

BigJack Newbie

Name:
    jack
    Boat:
    24' fiber form
    I bet they will kill the micro bait spreaderbars

5. winningman

winningman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    MYOUNG
    Boat:
    none.
    Very~NiCe~~

AC / DC shirt.

p/s Yellow too.

6. dkd711

dkd711 Skunk Master...

Name:
    Duke
    Boat:
    "WFO SKUNK"
    Way to get the boy hooked up!!!!

Karen the deckhand is awesome she takes care of us like a mommy. We feel spoiled at times fishing with her and the rest of the Mission bellse crew! AAA+++

7. joshc1024

joshc1024 Member

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    none
    X2! Karen is the best!!

8. FisherMon

FisherMon Rasta FisherMon

Name:
    Kayton
    Boat:
    :-(

Agreed, Karen is the best!

9. millerlowlife

millerlowlife Captain Tony

Longitude: 117° 41' 53" West Latitude: 33° 28' 1"
    Name:
    Captain Tony
    Boat:
    Grady White
  10. william ortiz

william ortiz Newbie

Name:
    willie ortiz
    Boat:
    none
    HEY WITT THIS IS WILL HAD fUn on the mission bell also .Capt.steve&crew are great

11. sdbrewer

sdbrewer Newbie

Name:
    Whit
    Boat:
    One Day
    Downloaded 5-17-10 146.JPG

Downloaded 5-17-10 147.JPG

Downloaded 5-17-10 148.JPG

It was good! And there is more for tomorrow :food-smiley-014:

Thanks for the kind words. It was tough to give up the pole as I've yet to boat my first yellow; but what is a Dad to do?

I agree, Karen was great. She put up with my son's constant stream of questions and general non-stop chatter with a smile. Scott passed a hooked yellow off to my boy and Capt. Steve stood by as he reeled his/mine in ("my arms are getting really tired") offering encouragement and advice ("think of yourself on a ten mile run, you're eight miles in and only have two miles left to go"). Great captain and crew!

Will -- nice to meet you and your grandson! He is a great kid!

As for the micro bait spreaderbars, I have no idea what that is but it sounds great and I think you should try it. After seeing what they'd been munching on, I was thinking about small swimbaits on a light leadhead. Or maybe anchovies. Am I crazy?

12. fishincrave

fishincrave Newbie

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    none
    Great job Dad wtg go on putting the little man on his first yellow . I bet his hooked now :rockin:.
    Love that shirt AC/DC.

Sean

13. Fishingguy

Fishingguy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    AWESOME story and pics.

Theres nothing like pulling on a yellowtail. I still have not forgotten my first yellowtail.

May many more come to you in the future.

14. fishpelagic

fishpelagic dan the fisherman

Name:
    dan
    Boat:
    wihich ever one i'm fishing on
    great to get your son hooked up. Soon he'll be asking for long range (like me)