Trent

Almost A Member
Jul 16, 2009
Olympia WA
Name
Trent E Rickman
Boat
20' NorthWest Signature
Thursday afternoon, sitting in the office day dreaming of being out on the ocean, when Mike calls and says he has an open seat for a Tuna trip on Friday. PERFECT!!! That just happened to be my Friday off!!!
We meet at Mike's house at 2:45 am, load the gear and head for Westport. Loaded up 937 pounds of ice, filled the live well with chovies, and headed for the blue water at 6:00 am.
After a relatively flat 2 1/2 hour run, we're about 50 miles out, Laurence and Dane put out the troll gear and the hunt is on. The fish are pretty spread out, but thanks to Mike's experience?/intuition?/good luck? we find the fish...

http://www.youtube.com/v/ryPDbVRZ7RE&hl=en&fs=1

Attachments

• IMG_0721.jpg
    IMG_0721.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0719.jpg
    IMG_0719.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0720.jpg
    IMG_0720.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0725.jpg
    IMG_0725.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 38
Upvote 0

Chasin' Tail

~Jumpers!!~ <*)))><
Aug 10, 2008
Lacey WA
Name
Mike
Boat
17' Thor-Built Sled, 27' NorthRiver OS
it was good to have another cherry out to pop on the boat Trent. Glad you had a good time. We sure enjoyed watching you make quick work of that heart!!!

Trent got into the swing of things real fast. And on the second baitstop he got his first fish on a live bait too... That was a bad idea, cuz now we didnt have anyone on the boat who wanted to pull in the troll fish, and we lost 3 that we left hanging while getting out the live bait... oh well, who wants to reel in a troll caught fish anyways!!:rofl:

Most of our fish came on the bait stops. I think one stop = 5 fish , and the one before that = 4 fish. Troll fish were always singles, and were sporatic.

On one of the live stops we had a pretty good number of fish at the boat. As you can see in the video, it was like a lake, and visibility was awesome in the water. I tossed 4 chum chovies over, and saw 4 tuna come up and crush them about 20 feet straight below the boat! We sent out our bait and we were all hooked up in seconds.... Thats when the fun begins!

Chovies are of much better size too, compaired to 2 weeks ago!

Upvote 0

cesban

Jul 16, 2009
Tijuana
Name
Cesar
Boat
18' Polar/Dinasty
wow cool video, the hearth thing wow no lemon?
congrats

Upvote 0

dragonballs

I'm off probation
  • Mar 28, 2008
    Arlington WA
    Name
    Vance
    Boat
    40' ocean sport fisher
    very nice great to see a report with pics and a video

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    Yea, Trent was one of the best virgins I've popped. He was all over that heart, no hesitation. He even had one fish take him all the way around the boat. He followed that pig up to the bow and right back to the starting point.

It was really all about live bait for us. Anymore, when we get the first troll fish, engines are cut, a live bait is flylined, and chum is tossed. I'd rather add 1 to the slush tank on live bait than 3 on a troll. But, I'll gladly take 4 at once on live bait and the wonderful dance that is done on a small deck when they all come together :) WE did have 2-3 troll fish come unbuttoned. I couldn't believe it. How the heck do you lose troll fish on a double, barbed 10/0 hook? I even loosened the drag on those fish after the strike. 14 is still plenty of fish to clean and gives us a great reason to go out again and kill more.

Bait is big boys!! 5-7" chovies, so we got to throw real hooks finally...1/0 this time :) :) T

There was warm water everytwhere out there and no real good breaks. I think we only had 4, maybe 5 stops total.

Upvote 0

cohotr

Aug 13, 2008
    Federal Way, WA USA
    Name
    Terry
    Boat
    24 SeaSport Moore Fishin
    Great job Mike and company. Loved the video. It was good to see you again before we headed down to WP on Sat. Hope that we will can catch up with you and get out fishing again sometime this summer.

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    O yea, of the few troll fish we had, most strikes were on hot pink. We ran a zuchini, black/purple, rapala (2 hits, one was a driveby), and cedar plug (1 driveby).

Upvote 0

Slowleak

Jun 4, 2009
    Covington, WA USA
    Name
    Bear
    Boat
    Disposable Income
    Now THAT'S a properly done tune report! Sweet. Those 'chovies are twice the size of a couple of weeks ago and it's nice when it lays down for you like that.

Upvote 0