Pupule

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
Dex and I shoved off at about 6:15 this morning and headed straight for the pinnacle. There were a few scattered aku birds searching for breakfast as we made our way out. By the time we got to the pinnacle the birds were nowhere to be seen. We turned left and headed south for about 30 minutes, then headed in to the 1000 fa line. Turned left again and headed straight up the 1000. Once outside FAD-R we did a 180 and headed back down the 1000. At 9:30, when we were at 64 degrees, the rear center pole went off with a ripping strike, taking nearly ½ a spool of line. We fought the fish with the boat in gear, so the line stayed near the surface. “Ahhh, wrong species”, I thought to myself. After a grueling hour (I should say at least an hour) we had the fish at the boat. Stuck the harpoon through the head, and gaffed it in the mouth using the winch gaff. It took a few cycles of “Heave Ho!”, but we finally managed to huli the fish over the gunwale. Wow, landing fish was a whole lot easier when we were in our 20s and 30s! We have yet to weight it, but I’m guessing it might be as much as 230 lbs. (But I tend to overestimate, haha.) We’ll see when we cut it up tomorrow afternoon.

Good luck to everyone fishing in the tournament this weekend!

Last edited:

Hij

Aug 1, 2011
Mililani HI
Name
Jason Hijirida
Boat
25 Force, PAIGE H
Right in Todd! Congrats on a toad!!

pfont

no mo boat
Jul 6, 2010
mililani
Name
peter fontanilla
Boat
17' Arima Sea Chaser-"kiana" - SOLD on 9/16/2016
wtg capt todd & crew ... congratulations on your nice yf ...

jkvshooter

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 14, 2009
Oahu
Name
justin
Boat
Fiber Form
Stoked ya got a nice one!

Kinaiahi61

Jan 17, 2012
Lihue, Hi
Name
Kalani
Boat
Kai Kea
Right on Jimmy, good to see some blood on the boat. Theres been some big ones around this year. Aloha

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Todd and Dex,
Way to go on the ahi, good one for sure. That would have been a money winner on Saturday.

Cheers
Pat

kagami

Wish I was fishing right now...
Nov 28, 2010
Oahu
Name
Shane
Boat
In the market for one
Awesome Ahi Todd and crew!!! Congratulations!!!

shfish

Apr 14, 2012
Palolo
Name
Spencer
Boat
Ohana H, 30' Knife
Dex and I shoved off at about 6:15 this morning and headed straight for the pinnacle. There were a few scattered aku birds searching for breakfast as we made our way out. By the time we got to the pinnacle the birds were nowhere to be seen. We turned left and headed south for about 30 minutes, then headed in to the 1000 fa line. Turned left again and headed straight up the 1000. Once outside FAD-R we did a 180 and headed back down the 1000. At 9:30, when we were at 64 degrees, the rear center pole went off with a ripping strike, taking nearly ½ a spool of line. We fought the fish with the boat in gear, so the line stayed near the surface. “Ahhh, wrong species”, I thought to myself. After a grueling hour (I should say at least an hour) we had the fish at the boat. Stuck the harpoon through the head, and gaffed it in the mouth using the winch gaff. It took a few cycles of “Heave Ho!”, but we finally managed to huli the fish over the gunwale. Wow, landing fish was a whole lot easier when we were in our 20s and 30s! We have yet to weight it, but I’m guessing it might be as much as 230 lbs. (But I tend to overestimate, haha.) We’ll see when we cut it up tomorrow afternoon.

Good luck to everyone fishing in the tournament this weekend!

Awesome Captain Todd, way to go Love to see the 200s nailing your lures great job captain keep on loading em up!!

Aloha Spens

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
Nice. Sashimi sounds good.
Wasabi, shoyu, and Thai sweet chili sauce made for some tasty sashimi. Thanks, Mike.

Right in Todd! Congrats on a toad!!
It's been a while. I took a 20 month timeout from fishing when work started eating into my free time. After retiring and tending to my financial affairs, then bringing the boat out of extended layup, I finally got back onto the water this past April. Feeling very lucky to have pulled a good sized fish into the boat after all this time. Thanks, Jason

Looks good to me!

Thank you, Tony. Any day we can drop a tuna in the fish box is definitely a good day!

wtg capt todd & crew ... congratulations on your nice yf ...
Mahalo, Peter. I remember seeing your boat out there often in years past. Haven't seen you lately. Wishing you good fishing, and hope to see you out there soon!

Stoked ya got a nice one!
Thanks, Justin. Until we saw the yellow sickles break the surface after an hour, we were sure we'd hooked a marlin. We were stoked!

Good going Todd and crew! Nice fish.
Jimmy, your stainless meat hook did its job flawlessly at the end of our winch setup. That winch makes things a lot easier when it's time to haul the fish over the gunwale. Thanks!

Sweet.... solid Ahi! Congrats!
Thanks, Donald. That was the biggest fish we'd caught in 4 years. The luck was surely with us on Friday.

Todd, Congratulations on your fat tuna! This year seems to be the year for some toad Ahi!
Hey, thanks Russell! We originally planned to fish on Tuesday, but we experienced some engine trouble while in the harbor parking lot. The engine's ignition resistor failed, so we ended up cancelling the trip. I think I saw you entering the harbor that morning as we were packing up. I guess the engine trouble was a blessing of sorts, as Friday turned out to be a pretty good day for us to be out there. ;)

Todd and Dex, Way to go on the ahi, good one for sure. That would have been a money winner on Saturday.
Thanks, Pat. Sorry to hear that you didn't get on the board on Saturday. I thought the tournament ran for two days. Congrats on your Sunday catch, and thanks for all the fishing reports. I enjoy reading them all.

Awesome Ahi Todd and crew!!! Congratulations!!!
Mahalo, Shane. Lots of people have been enjoying fresh fish dinners these past two days.

Awesome Captain Todd, way to go Love to see the 200s nailing your lures great job captain keep on loading em up!
It's always a blessing to have anything hit the lures. It doesn't happen often enough. :) An occasional 200+ fish on the line? Well, that’s a real bonus! Thanks, Spencer.

Last edited:

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Todd, that wasn't me you saw that morning. I haven't seen water since late May! I will make a run for it tomorrow(Wed). Will let you know how we do.

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
Go get 'em, Russ!

We're planning on a Thursday trip. During the past couple of years, the ahi bite in Waianae has been running pretty much on the same schedule as the east Oahu ulua bite -- 3 to 7 days after a full moon. Maybe that's how it's always been? I don't know. I'll let you know how we do.

Last edited:

pfont

no mo boat
Jul 6, 2010
mililani
Name
peter fontanilla
Boat
17' Arima Sea Chaser-"kiana" - SOLD on 9/16/2016
Todd, that wasn't me you saw that morning. I haven't seen water since late May! I will make a run for it tomorrow(Wed). Will let you know how we do.
russ, good luck on wednesday ... went out today but nadas ... i think todd has the theory on the full moon phase ... mahalo pete