_dayday

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 5, 2017
San Diego
Name
Dylan
Boat
17ft CC "Gringo Mandingo"
If all goes according to plan I should be able to get out on a trip next year late summer or early fall. Somewhere between august and October. I'd like to aim for somewhere between a 6-8 day trip. This would be my first Long Range trip. I've done a few over night trips 3/4 day trips and a lot of time on the water locally paddy hopping on my little center console. It looks like a lot of the long range guys have "their boats" that they mostly stick to but I was hoping to get some opinions on why you guys choose "that boat".

Hopefully I'll be on a boat with some of you next year!

Thanks!

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
Make it an eight day, in September or October. Any of the real long range boats would be great. They all have loyal followers. I’ve fished over half of them and wouldn’t hesitate to go on any of them again. I’d suggest the RR III for your trip. Priced well. I like the boat a lot, the way it rides, drifts, it’s speed, bait carrying capacity. Andy is still one of my favorites to fish with.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Reactions: RichG and _dayday

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Dylan,

Each boat and its crew has a personality. Some are more luxury and some would best be described as more functional than plush.

I think most would agree they are are good, just some fit them better than others, so ask yourself what is most important to you? Cost, load, comfort, boat ride, etc...

Reactions: _dayday

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
Every year is different than the year before. Under current conditions the later trips are getting better variety than the early ones. This year some fish didn't show in numbers until late Sept: I don't count juvenile or football size fish.

All long range boats are good and the advice offered above about finding a like minded group to fish with should be well taken. The group you fish with can make or break your trip to a greater degree than the boat you are riding.

Warning: once you go long, you won't want to fish any other way, it really is one of life's greatest experiences!

RockHopperNCKA

Jan 25, 2017
Santa Rosa, CA
www.norcalkayakanglers.com
Name
Dustin
Boat
Do kayaks count?
Spots fill up fast so if you're serious you better get on it soon! I got back from the AssHole Invitational 8 day trip on the Polaris Supreme two weeks ago and that trip is sold out already. I'm going on that trip again next year so I haven't checked many of the other boats' schedules, but I'm sure the 8-10 day trips are filling up fast.

Last edited:

_dayday

Mar 5, 2017
San Diego
Name
Dylan
Boat
Thanks everyone so far!

I'll start diving in a bit more to see stuff like cost/comfort things.

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
Dylan, one thing I did forget to mention is that you want to go on a charter trip, NOT open party. This may be a tad more difficult to book, as they tend to fill up faster, but talk to the boat's office and the charter master if possible. I, personally, don't do combat fishing, and will not fish with a group that finds that style to be okay.

I will not steer you to one boat over another, I do have MY preference.

Highly recommend that you attend the Fred Hall Show in
Long Beach and take advantage of the opportunity to talk with the various operations and even the boat captains......just can't beat that experience for getting a feel of things.

Reactions: RichG

_dayday

Mar 5, 2017
San Diego
Name
Dylan
Boat
Dylan, one thing I did forget to mention is that you want to go on a charter trip, NOT open party. This may be a tad more difficult to book, as they tend to fill up faster, but talk to the boat's office and the charter master if possible. I, personally, don't do combat fishing, and will not fish with a group that finds that style to be okay.

I will not steer you to one boat over another, I do have MY preference.

Highly recommend that you attend the Fred Hall Show in
Long Beach and take advantage of the opportunity to talk with the various operations and even the boat captains......just can't beat that experience for getting a feel of things.
Yeah I usually go to the Fred Hall up there each year so I'll make it a point to make sure that I talk with some people!

chamackO

Jun 12, 2003
SoCal and NorCal
Name
Alex
Boat
none
Yeah I usually go to the Fred Hall up there each year so I'll make it a point to make sure that I talk with some people!
I recall when talking to Shogun and Vagabond that they pointed out charters they recommended and even pointed out folks that my brother and I should meet.

MORGS

Sep 5, 2003
Montrose
Name
Morgan
Boat
Boatless
As mentioned before they book up fast. Called yesterday for a trip on the RS for OCT 19 and on the standby list.

Also, I would try to find a good group to go with. It's what makes the trip that much better.

Reactions: _dayday

RockHopperNCKA

Jan 25, 2017
Santa Rosa, CA
www.norcalkayakanglers.com
Name
Dustin
Boat
Do kayaks count?
As mentioned before they book up fast. Called yesterday for a trip on the RS for OCT 19 and on the standby list.

Also, I would try to find a good group to go with. It's what makes the trip that much better.
Morgs brings up another good point. If you find a trip you like and it's sold out put yourself on the wait list. Hell, put yourself on multiple wait lists. In 2017 I was on the wait list for 3 different trips on the Intrepid and it ended up being that I could have made it on all three.

Reactions: Bill W and _dayday