L3757
Jun 16, 2017
Southern California
Name
Bryan
Boat
Parker 1801
Good morning guys,
Headed out on my first trip on my own boat. Need a checklist from all you experienced guys. Pre-trip and necessary equipment to make sure I have!
Thanks dudes
Bryan

SeaHawk IV

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 15, 2008
United States of America
Name
A
Boat
If you're 35 years old or younger, you need to have a Boater License. Jan 1, 2021 is for the next age group.

What do you have on your list so far?

A PLB or similar device is a must in my opinion. Besides equipment, knowledge in knowing how to navigate on the water and using your devices is equally as important and how to use your VHF if you have one on the boat.

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Personally, I think the Coronados is too much adventure for your first trip. Go somewhere that you won't be expecting to catch fish, other than perhaps a rockpile for some rock cod. You will (or at least should) have lots on your mind besides catching fish and avoiding islands, other boaters and the Mexican Navy. You need to develop some basic skills - like anchoring. (And always be prepared to drop your anchor if you lose power -- that can stop you from washing ashore, or worse.)

Unassailable

Professional Amateur
Aug 26, 2009
San Diego
Name
John B
Boat
BW
Personally, I think the Coronados is too much adventure for your first trip. Go somewhere that you won't be expecting to catch fish, other than perhaps a rockpile for some rock cod. You will (or at least should) have lots on your mind besides catching fish and avoiding islands, other boaters and the Mexican Navy. You need to develop some basic skills - like anchoring. (And always be prepared to drop your anchor if you lose power -- that can stop you from washing ashore, or worse.)

Could not say that any better!

Reactions: richardblufin

RodRage

Share the stoke!
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
EPERB and ditch bag with a hand held ship to shore radio and as much as your wallet is capable of filling it with, Id suggest taking a few trips local and learn your boat before going offshore. SAFETY FIRST!

Reel Kahuna

Mar 24, 2011
Lake Camanche, CA
Name
Seon
Boat
23.5' Navigator Duckworth F150 Yamaha
I agree with Nomad and RodRage. Familiarize yourself with the boat before venturing out too far. Vary your RPM/speed to find the sweet spot. Do Zig zags, circles, troll and even backing the boat. Turn the motor off and on several times to test the starter and batteries. List can go on and on. Best of luck.

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Get to know the handling of your boat. i usually get a test every trip. My visor flies off my head and I need to recover it before it sinks. I have about a 95% recovery rate now. :rofl:

Reactions: castone001

starbright55

Dec 4, 2011
San Diego
Name
TH
Boat
17' Avon Searider

That

I would just go for a bay cruise. There's enough interesting stuff in SD Bay and you can just focus on running the boat. Forget fishing or just bring a rod to two for some light entertainment.

I hadn't been out in 6 mos. and decided last week was a good time for a shake down cruise with the family, take inventory of what's on in and if we need to restock (i.e. check flare dates, etc.). Everything went well until the wind picked up and it took me a few tries to get back on the trailer!