PENN

g's toy

Apr 21, 2005
sd
Name
Mike
Boat
2301,swirl--sold
We planned on launching from S.I.--no way the City had some event going on. Over to M.B. and picked up some great bait. Off to the 302/230 areas. Found some rat YT's-let them go and a lot of empty kelp. About noon we were slow trolling dines around a group of paddys. Then my son-in-laws reel started to scream. It was a 30# mono with 30# FC leader. He was getting spooled so I told him to wind and keep the rod tip up so I could see what direction the line was going.

Well 20 minutes into the fight we did not know what was hooked yet. Then we got a flash of color off about 50 yards. Another almost 20 minutes go by and we gaff a nice marlin. That was his first trip ocean fishing--not too bad. Beats the trout and bass he is used to catching

We did not have a camera on board, did weigh the marlin on Dana Landing's scale. That took a few minutes to get it on the scale--a fishing tourney was going on at the same location. We Joked about entering the tourney with a late registration. Another son-in-law did take a few photos of the marlin laying on my front wall. Not too exciting seeing a 9'+ fish on a red bull nosed wall. :p:

Upvote 0

Raimond

Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine...
Mar 9, 2014
SoCal
Name
Ray
Boat
23' IMP Hardtop - "4 Reel"
Wait for it...

Congrats!

Upvote 0

g's toy

Apr 21, 2005
sd
Name
Mike
Boat
2301,swirl--sold
and you killed it for what reason? To weigh it? I hope you at least eat it.
Most of the meat has been smoked and vac packed. A few loin steaks were processed. Marlins that are hooked and fought for a long time will almost always die soon after being released. The 30# line made for a long fight. We did not know what was hooked until the last few minutes of the fight. Many kill rat YT's--less than 10+ lbs or YFT's about the same size? Take a sport boat and see what they keep! We don't, I net them and release them. Bottom line, you were not there to see the condition of the marlin when we got it along side of my boat. Pass the popcorn, end of my response!

Upvote 0

OmanGT

Apr 11, 2010
Muscat
Name
Brian Richardson
Boat
Cape North 43 Sailboat
No reason to make excuses as long as you eat the fish IMHO. Congratulations

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
That is cool as shit!!! The ocean is a crazy place and you never know what you'll come across.

Upvote 0

Marlinloco

Gyro Guy
Aug 24, 2004
San Diego
Name
Warren
Boat
Jewel Lure
Marlins that are hooked and fought for a long time will almost always die soon after being released.

This is not accurate. We've fought fish for 2+ hours before that have come to the boat green as can be and released unharmed. If you release properly, don't take them out of the water and revive them if needed they are fine. More recent satellite tagging studies have shown this.

Although I've killed marlin in the past I don't do it anymore and I don't believe in it. But what you do is up to you, I just wanted to correct your assumption. Nice going on the fish, sounds like it was pretty exciting.

Reactions: Larmo
Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
His son in law caught it ... they ate it....Not against the law......Nice catch!
Your son in law will never forget it. I bet next time trout fishing that marlin weighs 250 lbs

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
His son in law caught it ... they ate it....Not against the law......Nice catch!
Your son in law will never forget it. I bet next time trout fishing that marlin weighs 250 lbs
All my fish weigh 250lbs! So!

Upvote 0

leadslinger

Ship of Fools
Dec 24, 2011
Cajon 619
Name
Adam
Boat
Mako 232 cc - Lead Slinger
Always someone on here w/ some NEG shit ,,,Hope you ate it, I wouldn't of kept it Did you release it ,,, so on so on I'll bet these ass wipes just watch fishing on TV w/ Dan Hernandez on Saturday morning They think a great catch is a Sand Dab on a B-52 Special Get a Fucking life.If it ain't positive shut your face.

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Great job congrats !!!! Yes they can be released!! But if you have caught one. Enjoy it they taste great. Don't let anyone make you feel bad about it. I have seen marlin in other places caught long lined. By the hundreds. And the sad thing is many of those are fish we let go. Only to meet their demise. So eat up. Enjoy!! Great report!!

Reactions: blubby07
Upvote 0

radman

Jun 10, 2006
escondido
Name
Darrin
Boat
Stringari
Always someone on here w/ some NEG shit ,,,Hope you ate it, I wouldn't of kept it Did you release it ,,, so on so on I'll bet these ass wipes just watch fishing on TV w/ Dan Hernandez on Saturday morning They think a great catch is a Sand Dab on a B-52 Special Get a Fucking life.If it ain't positive shut your face.

That is exactly why most people I know don`t even post here anymore....Too bad that most post from sharks,to marlin,to sandbass have some dumbass comment attached to them anymore.Why can`t they just say "nice catch?"Probably because of some kind of jealousy?

Upvote 0

JRua

Jul 15, 2014
Name
Jeff
Boat
Hobie Mirage
Congrats to your son-in-law catching a legal fish intended for consumption. Those that are talking shit to you are probably young, professional deckhand for a living, and have very few clues in the game that is life.

Upvote 0

Larmo

Strip it. Mend it. Hit it!
Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
What should be clear by now is the captain thought it would have died. It was his first marlin. They fight to the near death. Often they're barely alive when you can leader them and he had no leader to work with. He thought about what to do and made the call. That's cool.

If he was with someone who had seen it before and knew how to revive it, he may have made a different decision. Bottom line, he made the best call he could and he took the fish responsibly.

No need to disparage people who advocate releasing marlin or who try to educate people who want to release how to revive a marlin and when to decide its hopeless. There are some important things we could all learn, myself included.

Reactions: Marlinloco
Upvote 0

JRua

Jul 15, 2014
Name
Jeff
Boat
Hobie Mirage
No need to disparage people who advocate releasing marlin or who try to educate people who want to release how to revive a marlin and when to decide its hopeless.

You are right. Edit - The rest of my post was not pertinent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FISHINPOC

Jul 5, 2007
Austin
Name
Rob
Boat
Grady White Gulfstream
some believe if there's bill on then end of it, it must not be food.
I don't happen to like Marlin - have only had it smoked. It was OK.
If you like it and will eat it, good for you.

Upvote 0

Delta Mike

You like soup?
Feb 18, 2013
Cleveland/Steubenville/Yuma
www.semperfidelis.com
Name
Darren
Boat
"I wish"
You are right. We should instead teach those whom are wayward, lacking education, and lack the simple common sense to exercise proper personal hygiene whom engage in such activities as serving food and cutting fish. If you are a cook and you smoke cigarettes, at least have the decency to wash your hands before you "burn one' and then finger someone's lunch. Equally, ashing in the the overflow tank that the cutters are using for rinsing fish fillets is equally pretty gross. Point Loma brodies whom make their living "cash" off of the angler industry are some pretty interesting people. It is no wonder that the professional 3-10 day charters warrrant a much higher buy-in than the chud ovenight to day and a half.
.... response from out in left field.

Reactions: blubby07
Upvote 0