First Timer Offshore Yellowtail Fishing SoCal - Buy Reel or Rent?

leeroythecat

Jul 3, 2021
USA
Name
Kai
Boat
Saltiga
Thinking of booking a first yellowtail fishing trip out of Newport Beach, CA.

This would be my first 3/4 day/full day trip. I only have mainly freshwater tackle myself.

My only reasonable setup right now is a Tranx 300 + 1-5oz Phenix Swimbait rod which may be even a little too light for YT.

I'd love to purchase some additional saltwater tackle just for this trip but I'm sure if it may be better to rent. My thoughts are to maybe just purchase a better reel (Daiwa Saltiga) and then just rent the boat's rods so I don't have to spend 200-300 dollars on a saltwater rod myself.

Is this a reasonable assumption or should I just use the boat's rental gear for now?

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Like a wife, its cheaper to rent than to buy. You can return it wet, slimy and stinky and you don't need to pay for maintenance or repairs. If you dropped it, you will need to pay a small fee instead of half your wallet. It doesn't get old on you and you can pick up a different model on your next trip. The only problem is that it will be heavily used and abused. You may need to add a little lube to loosen up the gears.

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    sent you a DM LEEROY

Upvote 0

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none

This would be my first 3/4 day/full day trip. I only have mainly freshwater tackle myself.

My only reasonable setup right now is a Tranx 300 + 1-5oz Phenix Swimbait rod which may be even a little too light for YT.

I'd love to purchase some additional saltwater tackle just for this trip but I'm sure if it may be better to rent. My thoughts are to maybe just purchase a better reel (Daiwa Saltiga) and then just rent the boat's rods so I don't have to spend 200-300 dollars on a saltwater rod myself.

Is this a reasonable assumption or should I just use the boat's rental gear for now?

Lee Roy. First off you need to figure out how often you'll be going deep sea fishing.

Second, since I have no idea what type of equipment is for rent in Newport, I would give them a call, especially the boat you are thinking about. Some of the boats have older single speed reels, that are workable. And I would think they would be capable for landing a yellowtail.

Your idea of buying a reel and renting a rod, isn't a bad idea. But I would not buy one that is too inexpensive, since you might want to use it for many years. Some of the manufactures (Avet) has a no questions asked return policy. I would check this out as well. Then if you didn't like the reel, you could get your money back.

Have fun. Deep sea fishing is very additive.

Upvote 0

Amadeus

• Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    Guessing you may be in SoCal...this will work:

Initially, use the factory grip for the first few trips and then decide if you want to do this:
    ...either 3/0 or 5/0 depending on your hand size.

Follow this tutorial (the 300H/350H/400H/450H have the same schematic pattern but with different sized parts...i.e., small bro vs big bro) and upgrade the drag stack (Smooth Drag will have the 50H drag kit) if it doesn't already have the Carbontex washers):

At some point in the future you can source a 4.2:1 50H gear set (main gear and pinion) and swap out the 3.7:1 300H gear set; the two are interchangeable.

The result will be this (the 300H came in dark anodized or silver frame depending on the vintage):
    300H.jpeg

Pair it with a 30-50 or 30-60 rated rod (Daiwa, Okuma, or Penn will work), spool up with 50lb or 60lb braid, and use short top shots of 30 or 40 lb mono/fluoro.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Considering that you have a decent Tranx 300 on a Phenix swimbait rod, I honestly think that you are good to go already. That is an excellent combo for 99% of the fish that you are ever going to encounter on a day trip out of Newport Beach. Yes, it is possible to run into a really big yellowtail, but really very unlikely. The overwhelming majority of yellows that you will ever fight will be under twenty-five pounds, and you can pull really hard on your outfit, you have just never had to learn to do that yet.

Spend some potential new-outfit money on a dozen really good jigs like JRI 2 and 3 and 7, and several spools of fluorocarbon, and some good ringed hooks, and a good deckhand tool set to wear on your belt. Yes, you will get into conventional reels but trying different boats and landings will be a better way to advance your skill level at this point in your fishing.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Almost A Member
    Jul 30, 2020
    Yucca Valley
    Name
    Shane Reil
    Boat
    Next year hopefully
    Really people
    He dont need to go spend $300 plus to try out ocean fishing. Rent a rod and reel or better yet barrow something nice from a friend if possible. If it turns out to be something you like research what you want and go from there. Don't jump into something tell you know what you want.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Almost A Member
    Jul 30, 2020
    Yucca Valley
    Name
    Shane Reil
    Boat
    Next year hopefully
    Lee Roy. First off you need to figure out how often you'll be going deep sea fishing.

Second, since I have no idea what type of equipment is for rent in Newport, I would give them a call, especially the boat you are thinking about. Some of the boats have older single speed reels, that are workable. And I would think they would be capable for landing a yellowtail.

Your idea of buying a reel and renting a rod, isn't a bad idea. But I would not buy one that is too inexpensive, since you might want to use it for many years. Some of the manufactures (Avet) has a no questions asked return policy. I would check this out as well. Then if you didn't like the reel, you could get your money back.

Have fun. Deep sea fishing is very additive.
    Great idea

Upvote 0

leeroythecat

Jul 3, 2021
    USA
    Name
    Kai
    Boat
    Saltiga
    Considering that you have a decent Tranx 300 on a Phenix swimbait rod, I honestly think that you are good to go already. That is an excellent combo for 99% of the fish that you are ever going to encounter on a day trip out of Newport Beach. Yes, it is possible to run into a really big yellowtail, but really very unlikely. The overwhelming majority of yellows that you will ever fight will be under twenty-five pounds, and you can pull really hard on your outfit, you have just never had to learn to do that yet.

Spend some potential new-outfit money on a dozen really good jigs like JRI 2 and 3 and 7, and several spools of fluorocarbon, and some good ringed hooks, and a good deckhand tool set to wear on your belt. Yes, you will get into conventional reels but trying different boats and landings will be a better way to advance your skill level at this point in your fishing.
    Yeah this makes sense. I just remember using it once last time for Sculpin bottom fishing and that 8oz weight really felt terrible also no power handle on the Tranx felt really bad too

Upvote 0

dctalk523

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 28, 2007
    OC
    Name
    ChoeMan
    Boat
    Never
    you dont need a saltiga for fishing yellows. take a look at the classifieds section. lots of deals on reels and rods. you can get a decent set up for under $400.

Upvote 0

leeroythecat

Jul 3, 2021
    USA
    Name
    Kai
    Boat
    Saltiga
    you dont need a saltiga for fishing yellows. take a look at the classifieds section. lots of deals on reels and rods. you can get a decent set up for under $400.
    I would also love to be a buy for life kind of thing in case I wanted to go for BFT in San Diego. Wouldn't want too many reels at my house :S

Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

Dec 3, 2014
    Chula Vista
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Fond Memory
    I would also love to be a buy for life kind of thing in case I wanted to go for BFT in San Diego. Wouldn't want too many reels at my house :S
    No such thing as too many reels 🙄
    Your YT set up is not gonna be a big BFT rig so put that thought to rest. Diawa x-sha and a proteus or turner’s california rod is all you need, you can spend more if you want to but it isn’t necessary. First trip just rent and see what others are using, then decide.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    Really people
    He dont need to go spend $300 plus to try out ocean fishing. Rent a rod and reel or better yet barrow something nice from a friend if possible. If it turns out to be something you like research what you want and go from there. Don't jump into something tell you know what you want.
    I would check out,the Torium 20HG,
    And look for a decent rod rated 20 to 40,
    Because if you hook up to a yellow,
    And there is seals around,
    You might need to try horsing it in some.
    The landing will rent you a rod and
    Reel, I never seen them just rent a rod.

Upvote 0

MikeC.

Jun 22, 2019
    Torrance, Ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    none

newport doesnt really have yt trips, book put of san diego if thats what you want to catch and wait until boats are catching them

Upvote 0

Fathomx

Old Guy
    Jan 27, 2012
    OC
    Name
    Wrapper
    Boat
    It's gone
    The set up you have with the Tranx 300 and a swim bait rod is sufficient for a 3/4 out of Newport, this will easily handle 30lb line. The real question if you decide to continue ocean fishing and buy new gear do you/will get sea sick?...this may end you ocean fishing career if it is bad. Also, are you prepared for the parking melee at Newport Beach?

Upvote 0

leeroythecat

Jul 3, 2021
    USA
    Name
    Kai
    Boat
    Saltiga
    The set up you have with the Tranx 300 and a swim bait rod is sufficient for a 3/4 out of Newport, this will easily handle 30lb line. The real question if you decide to continue ocean fishing and buy new gear do you/will get sea sick?...this may end you ocean fishing career if it is bad. Also, are you prepared for the parking melee at Newport Beach?
    Haha I don’t really get seasick have done multiple whale watching trips

Upvote 0

scbassmaster

twin22s
    Sep 8, 2006
    san clemente
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    "I'm in the market, as it were" - Jack Sparrow
    budget route for live bait: buy a power handle for your Tranx 300, spool 90% with 40-50lb braid and fish 20-30lb top-shot, flouro is a must as the whole boat up there catches single digit YT on a good day, I've seen big counts but that's not the norm.

I would recommend renting a 40lb rig for fishing dropper loop or yo-yo iron. if you want to buy I'd look for a used setup like mentioned above, I have a daiwa sealine-XSHA30 on a generic 7' 20-40lb rod. I don't use it anymore since I bought an AVET/Phenix combo. If you do want to buy something I'll give you a good deal on it. PM me if interested.

Upvote 0

Paulo Grandez

• Sep 28, 2014
    Name
    Paulo
    Boat
    N/A
    First of all I suggest not going out of Newport Beach, if you can swing it take trip to the Coronado's out of one of the SD landings.

I suggest you rent a setup and also take that setup you have with you, once you catch a yellowtail you'll be addicted and you'll become a tacklewhore

Upvote 0

Cheese Burt

Jun 8, 2021
    San Diego
    Name
    Charlie Cohen
    Boat
    Who ever will take me out
    A lexa 400 on a 15 to 40 rated rod would work fine for everything at the islands and the smaller grade tuna. (under 30 lbs.)

Upvote 0