First Timer: Eastern Bank Halibut

Discussion in 'Washington Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by Schlegelstine, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Schlegelstine

Schlegelstine Newbie

Name:
    Joshua E Schlegel
    Boat:
    23' North River Seahawk: Relentless
    I appreciate your willingness to help - I only get over that way a couple times a year - spend most fishing time on the Columbia - so pointers are super-appreciated. I'll PM once I figure out how - LOL

2. Schlegelstine

Schlegelstine Newbie

Name:
    Joshua E Schlegel
    Boat:
    I appreciate the info guys and respect the work people did to get to where they are in terms of knowledge. It's already been a big help, as I'm very inexperienced in the salt... My only real experience is crab fishing the last few years in August out of Cornet Bay. Columbia is a different story.... Lots of time on the Big C.

FVSerenity - thanks for the weather report site information - it's about a 5.5 hour drive for me to get over there and at 8 mpg its an expensive trip to spend the day at the dock due to weather...

Seahusky - I appreciate your willingness to help - a PM in regards to what/where I should try would be great. I'll keep any info locked up for sure. As I'll only get over there for a very limited number of days a year, being pointed in the right direction is super helpful.

If any of you guys are in the South-Central Washington area and want to chase some fish and some good wine, drop me a line - I'm always looking to make new friends -

Cheers - and I really appreciate your help -

NW Dex, Odin7 and troller w like this.
  3. FVSerenity

FVSerenity Captain

Name:
    Rod
    Boat:
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    Nah nah nah, gpx file only!

4. Woodhunter

Woodhunter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Big John
    Boat:
    Classic MAKO 22
    Ummmm. Dad said about World War II that "Loose Lips Sink Ships". He worked in the shipyards then building "Liberty Ships", often there was a German Wolf waiting a few miles offshore for the new ships. (Wolf=Submarine). Spies around the shipyards told the Wolf packs when ships left our ports.

Now, in this fishing competition world, the same thing gets us in trouble.

Below photo, a half mile from the boat ramp in Port Angeles. Yep, the line goes the other way also. First day of Halibut Season. Thanks, internet.

[​IMG]

Some of you may not like our opinion of everyone from everywhere showing up to fish here, but it sure makes things crowded for us old timers that have fished this area for over 50 years. I still fish, but not on the openings. If I see a cluster of boats out on the salt, I go somewhere else.

NW Dex, troller w and Wild Bill like this.
  5. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    I have found most of my good spots while trying to avoid the crowds. Why would you anchor up where there is allready a CF of boats is beyond me, but you see it all the time. The biomass of Hali in the Eastern straits last Spring was pathetic and fishing was decidedly less than glorious from most of the reports I heard. I went one time at one of my big fish spots and got skunked. It appears it may be a bit better this year. Good luck

Schlegelstine likes this.
  6. Seahusky

Seahusky Newbie

Name:
    Seahusky
    Boat:
    Hewescraft Ocean Pro
    There's a couple of smaller ramps that I have used on days like this to get out in to the straits and even with a large Hewescraft I can launch it easily with the wife.
    I don't have the patience to wait to wait in line like that at Port Angeles or John Wayne marina. One of the ramps is less than 5 minutes from my house and it's just a ramp. But some of us locals here use it to avoid the crowds.

7. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    Vacancy
    Where’s it at? Would be awesome to know about another rarely used launch ramp.... until it’s posted on one of the most frequently read Washington fishing websites...

8. EJ Swanny

EJ Swanny I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    That's because John Martinis maps say that is where you should fish. Most people don't bother looking for the structure, habitat, halis like on NOAA charts. They just want easy, free, advice on where to fish...

It's not rocket science...find a bank, with the right substrate, and fish according to tide......

troller w and Schlegelstine like this.
  9. Schlegelstine

Schlegelstine Newbie

Name:
    Joshua E Schlegel
    Boat:
    Thanks again guys - your advice has been helpful. All I'm really concerned with is getting out, being safe, and making it home - fish on board or not... I'm a 40 year old guy with no experience in the salt (aside from the Cornet Bay area) and, fish or not, it's great to finally have a boat nice enough to get out there and give it a try - been a dream of mine for a looooong time...

My takeaways so far:
    1) Watch the weather - thank you for the weather website info
    2) Don't cork some other guy who is anchored
    3) Like my spots, your spots are sacred - I get it - and I respect it.
    4) If I get into trouble, there will be lots of guys out there who could help.
    5) Don't be an asshole (words to live by...).

I have heard that channels 68 and 69 are good to be on in terms getting general info (weather conditions and such) - is there another channel I should be paying attention to (besides CG channel...).

Anyway, thanks again - I might see a few of you out there - good fishing. And again, if you're ever in South Central Washington...

Odin7 and Wild Bill like this.
  10. Seahusky

Seahusky Newbie

Name:
    Seahusky
    Boat:
    Hewescraft Ocean Pro
    Port Townsend is a also a great place to fish out of as they boast excellent launch facilities with 2 washdown stations. I use a ramp at times right under my house which is a private beach and you need a key to access. It's community owned and the ramp looks right across at Protection island. Another ramp which belongs to the Port Of Port Townsend is Gardiner ramp. It's windswept from the south/Southeast but it's a good ramp other than that.

A great app I use is the FishWeather app on IOS. I always check it before I make a run out in to the straits. Lots of active weather stations. The new Lowrance doppler radar that's out now you can actually see the weather change https://www.lowrance.com/en-gb/news...rs-innovation-in-dome-radars-with-new-halo24/
    Well worth having if you do a lot of Ocean fishing or if you fish in open, vulnerable spots.

Schlegelstine and Odin7 like this.
  11. liltrouble

liltrouble Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Shari
    Boat:
    Mr. Buttercup
    Shrimp doesn't start until the weekend after the halibut opener.