PENN

tdmorrison03

May 9, 2018
San Diego
Name
Trevor Morrison
Boat
Searay 400
I’m going out in a 12’ boat this weekend to Catalina. (The skiff is in catalina right now) I have experience fishing the Coronados and I’ve fished La Jolla and Point Loma countless times. It’s my first time going out to catalina and I’m looking for some advice for the trip. My main goal is to get on some yellowtail. If anyone could point me in the right direction concerning spots, bait/lures etc. that would be great.

Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Stick to the Lee side. Troll rapalas or slow troll live bait. Look for current, structure and clean water. Maybe see if the Carnage at Avalon will sell you a "kayak scoop". Put squid in a 10 gallon cooler. Keep oxygenated with a bailing scoop made from a cutoff bleach bottle. Put harbor patrol on speed-dial. Stay outta MLPA's. Advise a rational relative of your trip plans, post a report when you return.

And, last but not least, multiple PFD's,
    and only if a boat comes too close to you, not vice versa, may you prevail upon them for a pass of bait, a beer, to use the head, borrow a Tady 45, or buy a cheeseburger.

Last edited:
    Reactions: tdmorrison03
    Upvote 0

war child

Psalms 144-1-1
    Oct 12, 2020
    los angeles
    Name
    michael
    Boat
    zodiac pro 5.5
    @tdmorrison03 hey let me know when you plan on heading out that way again. i got a 18ft zodiac and been looking for someone to follow and make the trek with. just got the boat so im eager to venture out that way.

Upvote 0

war child

Psalms 144-1-1
    Oct 12, 2020
    los angeles
    Name
    michael
    Boat
    zodiac pro 5.5
    Went to catalina past weekend, ran into some huge boils of bonito. Just trolled around for a bit before heading back.

Attachments

• VID_53041201_021620_529.mp4
      2 MB · Views: 28
    • 20201102_180102.jpg
      20201102_180102.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 33
    Reactions: JFurst
    Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    The local cat small skiff community always knows the hot ticket. If you can’t get that intel, trolling is great, rapala type divers, macs, or dines. Look for the cleanest warmest current you can find.

Be safe. Extra safe.

Upvote 0