Rambo33

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 25, 2018
California
Name
Richard
Boat
Deep sea
First time using a two speed reel the other day. I usually use a Komodo 463p but that reel failed on me so out with the 25NLD2 I got to use with my new okuma pch 7’6H rod. It was my first time using a two speed and also lever drag.

When do you guys usually put it in low gear ? I feel like when you put it in low gear you don’t need to pump the rod, just grind it out( am I right?). Trying to get pointers for technique for the two speed.

after using the 25NLD2 I’m definitely getting the 15XNLD2 Fathom coming out this fall! I wish it didn’t come outso late when fishing season about to end.

YouTube video of me using the two speed for the first time.

Rambo33

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 25, 2018
California
Name
Richard
Boat
Deep sea
On schoolie YT? Never. But I also wouldn't use a two speed reel while fishing for them either.
Ya I my other 30lbs reel broke , so I had no choice but to use my 25N, was curious when to switch it to low gear

Scott McPherson

Throw a couple of Wilson’s here
Aug 17, 2017
Califonia
Name
Scott
Boat
Shogun
Ya I my other 30lbs reel broke , so I had no choice but to use my 25N, was curious when to switch it to low gear
Toward the end usually. When it’s in circles straight up and down. A nice trick is to use the low gear slighty engaged when winding in a sinker rig. Worked well for me on my last trip.
Great reel.
Regards
Scott

Mark Bingham

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 5, 2016
California
Name
StormFishing
Boat
Wet Dream
Every time I drop into low my drag drops but about a third so I don't like using 2nd for tuna at all. Only use it for bottom stuff to haul up.

JamesTaylor

Question Everything
Jan 7, 2019
Cypress, Ca
Name
James Taylor
Boat
Not yet
Every time I drop into low my drag drops but about a third so I don't like using 2nd for tuna at all. Only use it for bottom stuff to haul up.
Unless your reel is faulty, I think the drag is staying the same but the handle becomes easier to turn because of the lower gear ratio so it starts to slip easier

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
When do you guys usually put it in low gear ? I feel like when you put it in low gear you don’t need to pump the rod, just grind it out( am I right?). Trying to get pointers for technique for the two speed.
As HighWideFree stated. At the end game when the fish is straight up and down and circling. Straight grind on the rail. No pumping required. I use this method on 25# and up. 40# BF on 25# line come in much easier with this method. Perhaps not as fast, but easier.

I've seen Macho Guys pump like crazy in high gear. That's OK. They have the energy. I don't.

Mark Bingham

Sep 5, 2016
California
Name
StormFishing
Boat
Wet Dream
Unless your reel is faulty, I think the drag is staying the same but the handle becomes easier to turn because of the lower gear ratio so it starts to slip easier
I was on a 100# BF on my 30 at the end game and the DH told me ot was fine to put it in second, as soon as I did I started losing line so I went back to first for the rest of the fight. I also notice it on my 15 this week on some smaller models. My 15 was just recently serviced. I will try it out on a scale to see if it is measurable and post the results.

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
I was on a 100# BF on my 30 at the end game and the DH told me ot was fine to put it in second, as soon as I did I started losing line so I went back to first for the rest of the fight. I also notice it on my 15 this week on some smaller models. My 15 was just recently serviced. I will try it out on a scale to see if it is measurable and post the results.
Assuming the reel is working normally. You probably were losing line because it wasn't coming in as fast as it was before. If you are gaining line at all leave it in high. Only need the lower gear when you aren't able to turn the handle in high vs constant pressure.

Scott McPherson

Throw a couple of Wilson’s here
Aug 17, 2017
Califonia
Name
Scott
Boat
Shogun
That sounds weird. Please let us know your results. What did the dh say? Did he think it was faulty?
Scott

Mark Bingham

Sep 5, 2016
California
Name
StormFishing
Boat
Wet Dream
The deck hand immediately said "wow did you just lose power??? Go back to first"

Mark Bingham

Sep 5, 2016
California
Name
StormFishing
Boat
Wet Dream
Assuming the reel is working normally. You probably were losing line because it wasn't coming in as fast as it was before. If you are gaining line at all leave it in high. Only need the lower gear when you aren't able to turn the handle in high vs constant pressure.
I'm a pretty strong guy, i can crank threw the drag even on 40#. I was in a stalemate for over 30 mins at deep deep color and every inch I could get was taken back, that was a mean ass fish! Puked after the gaff went in and had to rest for a cool minute.

Last edited:

JK47

May 19, 2019
HB
Name
Alek
Boat
SS Minnow
I have torque LD's in 15, 15XN,and 40, the drag only varies by a pound or so when in hi and low on mine...

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
for tuna, you want to make sure that the fish has done all the powerful major runs before even thinking of putting it in low gear.

This could be it does the runs and then finally you start to get it near the boat and into the up and down circle fight at the end

But.........So if the fish, medium to larger, maybe even smaller, at first starts to come in easier( maybe because one is not jerking the pole around but instead just smoothly reeling in the line with smooth pressure), you may get it near the boat but it still has much energy stored. As in it has not done 2 or 3 major runs yet. You may find that the minute it sees the boat, it peels off major line.

The problem with being in low gear when a tuna runs is that you are not able to reel in the slack at a fast enough rate. Give it slack, hook falls out. In low gear you, one turn only gets you 19 inches of line. When in regular( high) gear, you get 39 inches of line in one turn. So high gear allows you to pick up the slack when they run. Especially when they run right at you and the boat.

So after the runs are done, and you are up and down, you get some line, fish takes some line. stalemate situation. go to low gear and it is easier for you to do a COMPLETE rotation of the handle FORCE wise - meaning easier for youto turn the handle and get line. you only get 19 inches, but it is better than none and no being able to turn the handle at all.

Also, youa re able to do half handle turns, quarter handle turns more easily and get some line back. This forces the fish to use enegy and pull that line back, if they are able to. You can wear them down easier,

Ther way, in high gear, you can not take line, fish is just doing circles, snd it kicks your ass cause you can not gain line. All you do is keep puling on the pole, going up to the rail, down to the deck on a knee( you are praying), etc. Fish is winning.

So get in a comfortable position, where you feel relaxed, stay that way, breathe deep, and slowly crank it up in low gear.

P.S. watch out when t decides to do one crazy last run where you need to go to high gear without giveing hiom slack by moving pole around.

Love the 2 speeds Really like the Fathom 15 2 speed as it is small, weighs little, but can handle much ( Tuna at Guadalupe ). 65 lb braid. 30 lb mono top shot. 40 lb floro for abrasion = FUN !

NextMikeSays

Oct 23, 2017
SoCal
Name
Mike
Boat
No boat
First time using a two speed reel the other day. I usually use a Komodo 463p but that reel failed on me so out with the 25NLD2 I got to use with my new okuma pch 7’6H rod. It was my first time using a two speed and also lever drag.

after using the 25NLD2 I’m definitely getting the 15XNLD2 Fathom coming out this fall! I wish it didn’t come outso late when fishing season about to end.

YouTube video of me using the two speed for the first time.
send the reel back to Okuma and for like $30 it will be like new again.

the 25NLD2 is great. I use it for yo-yo and live bait.

Reactions: Rambo33
Mar 10, 2020
San Diego
Name
John
Boat
Not Yet
Did you measure the 1/3 drag decrease with a scale?

Just for fun, I decided to try this as I've never experienced a drag decrease while dropping to low gear.

On my 25NLD2, I tied it to a scale and measured 10lbs at strike. Reset the scale, and did it 3 times, and all measured 10lbs. Dropped it into low, and measured 3 times, all 10 lbs. Put it back to high, and measured. 10lbs.

Set strike at 15lbs. Reset the scale and measured. 15lbs. Three times. All 15lbs. Put it into low, measured 15 lbs.

Mine works perfectly fine.

Rambo33

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 25, 2018
California
Name
Richard
Boat
Deep sea
Thinking of getting the fathom 15xnld2 but will it be too similar to my 25NLD2 ?

Shimano Penn

Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
Thinking of getting the fathom 15xnld2 but will it be too similar to my 25NLD2 ?
I don't think so. I have (2) 25NLD2's and in my view they are waaaay too much reel for 30, better fished at 40 and 50. At 50 I feel the 30LD2 is a better choice (same reel, wider spool = more line capacity) so really I see the 25 as a 40# reel. I went with a different brand single speed star drag reels for 20-25 and 30 but since this is the Penn forum, YES, get a 15 ;)

Reactions: Rambo33

Rambo33

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 25, 2018
California
Name
Richard
Boat
Deep sea
Yes I’ve been using the 25NLD2 as a 40 and maybe a 50 and it’s doing well. The 15xn would be for 30 but what about 20-25 setup?