PENN

sjtufan

• Jan 8, 2021
    CA
    Name
    Jim Fan
    Boat
    Boat
    This is my first tuna fishing trip ever. Started doing deep sea fishing around the end of last year and had only been rockfishing and slow pitch jigging until last weekend, when my buddy and I went on a 1.5 day trip with Legend (it was his first time tuna fishing as well!).

Overall I had a fantastic trip. Caught 2 nice bluefin tuna (112 lb and 90 lb) both on sinker rigs with 60 lb leader. Used Penn Fathom 40 2 speed and Okuma PCH 701xxh. My buddy also caught his first tuna (40-50lb) on a flat fall on the first evening before sunrise.

The boat came back with 31 bluefin tuna caught by 23 anglers. Hats off to Captain Steve and the crew for providing a great experience for us.

Enjoy the video:

IMG_6013.jpg
    IMG_5943.jpg

O
    OldManNTheC
    Congratulation ! added in a little jealous as well :-) I was on charter boat like you for God know how many trips without catching a bluefin. I didn't get my first bluefin until I got my own boat and my first one I landed was a baby 30lber. The point = ENJOY YOUR SUCCESS .
    Upvote 0

Jay1

Jul 1, 2015
    Name
    Julian
    Boat
    Boat hoe
    Congrats man the young guys are getting spoiled. My sons first bluefin was 204 and as much as i loved to see him catch it i was a lil jealous because the SoCal fishery in the last 5 yrs has been on fire for the big boys.

Mark C.

Jul 20, 2005
    Murrieta
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    1802 Trophy WA
    Really cool that after you watched how the captain fought the first fish you went and actually applied what you saw and learned on the second fish. No better fishing classroom than on the water. Awesome stuff man, congrats!

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Congratulations! I really enjoyed both your report and the video. The video terrified me! Several times you were at the stern with the line going under the boat at sharp angles, and I've lost a number of really nice tuna in that situation, getting the line cut by the rudder or props. Almost all of the boats now carry a big "Y" ended gaff just for pushing the line out away from the boat. Next time that situation develops I recommend that you call for a crewman to help keep the line clear as you continue the fight.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great report and pics and CONGRATS to you and your friend for getting Bluefin to bite your first ever Tuna trip. Don't be surprised when and if you suffer "Bluefin Sufferage" on another trip some
    day like the rest of us when the Finicky bastards won't bite. LOL ENJOY eating all that Bluefin. Good job

Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    This is my first tuna fishing trip ever. Started doing deep sea fishing around the end of last year and had only been rockfishing and slow pitch jigging until last weekend, when my buddy and I went on a 1.5 day trip with Legend (it was his first time tuna fishing as well!).

Overall I had a fantastic trip. Caught 2 nice bluefin tuna (112 lb and 90 lb) both on sinker rigs with 60 lb leader. Used Penn Fathom 40 2 speed and Okuma PCH 701xxh. My buddy also caught his first tuna (40-50lb) on a flat fall on the first evening before sunrise.

The boat came back with 31 bluefin tuna caught by 23 anglers. Hats off to Captain Steve and the crew for providing a great experience for us.

Enjoy the video:

View attachment 1290471 View attachment 1290472
    👍

Upvote 0