pgangler

12Wt
Jul 25, 2012
Pacific Grove, Calif
Name
Ron
Boat
Was Cabo35, now RR3
I would load your Mak 10 with 50lb solid. It was my go to reel there in December but mine was filled with hallow. The bait and the bite was geared much more to the thinner solid spectra. I got my share of bites but I had to work a lot harder for them. It’s a great reel for that application. I just bought a Mak 8 to use a stealth set up there with 50lb solid to a 40lb top shot
Thanks. Any particular solid that you like? I only know JB Line One hollow. I've heard that the coated lines have a lower propensity to stick to the spool.

TrophyAnchovy

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 9, 2017
Orange County
Name
James
Boat
None
If you have 2 speeds with good free spool that can fish 30-60lb top shots you’ll be pretty much covered for fly lining. In my experience top shot weight and hook size mattered more than 50 vs 65 lb solid braid.

A variety of top shot and hooks will allow you to adjust to what’s working that day and bait your boat has.

Sometimes I’ve not had my knots cinch as easily when the braid has waxy coatings like max Quattro. I asked a crew member their option and they preferred without the waxy coatings as well.

norcaltunaclub

www.octunaclub.com
Mar 18, 2011
Orange County
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
Thanks. Any particular solid that you like? I only know JB Line One hollow. I've heard that the coated lines have a lower propensity to stick to the spool.
[/QUOTE]

I'm a huge fan of Daiwa J-Braid X8 solid. Excellent quality and super tough spectra.

Reactions: pgangler and Juanba

Yellowtail Dan

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
I use JB but thats just my two cents. There are a lot of good options out there

Reactions: pgangler

potuna

Unknown member
Jul 23, 2011
San Diego Ca. USA
Name
Pete
Boat
Royal Star, Excel, Royal Polaris, Red Rooster, Shogun and somebody else's.
Scott, do us a favor with the names of the guys in that pic.
I know it’s Dave (the tall one) also recognize Paul. Is that Renee, too?

Avatar pic went 39 lbs on the Five Star scale. Got it flylining a nice 12” Greenie, 2 oz slider, 60 lb fluorocarbon topshot, BX2-600N. Try that, at least you start out nearer the surface with a better shot at the fish, keeping it from going back to the bottom where it’s Sayonara!
Right to left
Conner
Joe
passenger
Davie
Capt Paul
Tyler

Reactions: Scott McPherson