Zboy

Bendooo
Aug 17, 2016
Dana point
Name
Zach
Boat
legend
What’s up everyone, while I’m stuck at home just wanted to try and gain some extra knowledge and tips from all you BD’ers.

Please save all the politics of the COVID-19, and how that may have an effect on my trip or the fleet for another thread! 🤙 Keeping fingers crossed that our trip is far enough out not to worry.

Now for the fishing, got my first trip To the Lupe on one of my favorites the Apollo (hopefully)! I know how fast things can change, but looking for recommendations on tackle, gear, conditions, and tactics people have experienced and used for this time of year. From reading through previous threads looks like the sharks begin to migrate and the grade for yellowfin can start getting a little bigger? Also, is this the time of year people see those heavier line size used like 50, 60+? Seems like you always have to have the 30-40lb setups on standby though incase their finky bastards. Any advice on yellowtail setups would be good too, I’m praying to get a shot at a nice homeguard or two as well. Sounds like some guys on this charter got rocked last year fishing 80-80, praying for some of that lol!

Still got plenty of time to mix and match, and acquire some extra gear but for now this is that I’m planning on bringing.

Reels:
Trinidad 20 (65 spectra 30lb) incase we fish offshore
Trinidad 20 (65 spectra 30-40lb.) back up mostly.
Talica 12ii (65 spectra 40lb)
Talica 16ii (80 spectra 50-60lb)
Talica 20ii (100 spectra 60-100lb)
Speed master 12ii (80 spectra 40-50lb) 9ft. reel
Accurate Dauntless 600N (80 spectra 60-80lb)

Rods:
Seeker OSP 1x3 60-100
Seeker SSR 7650 40-60
Seeker SSR 7660 50-80
Calstar 800M
Calstar 800H
Calstar 90JMAG

Thanks In advance, Tight lines & Stay Safe Everyone!!

Last edited:
Reactions: SCHeadhunter
Aug 17, 2017
Califonia
Name
Scott
Boat
Shogun
What’s up everyone, while I’m stuck at home just wanted to try and gain some extra knowledge and tips from all you BD’ers.

Please save all the politics of the COVID-19, and how that may have an effect on my trip or the fleet for another thread! 🤙 Keeping fingers crossed that our trip is far enough out not to worry.

Now for the fishing, got my first trip To the Lupe on one of my favorites the Apollo (hopefully)! I know how fast things can change, but looking for recommendations on tackle, gear, conditions, and tactics people have experienced and used for this time of year. From reading through previous threads looks like the sharks begin to migrate and the grade for yellowfin can start getting a little bigger? Also, is this the time of year people see those heavier line size used like 50, 60+? Seems like you always have to have the 30-40lb setups on standby though incase their finky bastards. Any advice on yellowtail setups would be good too, I’m praying to get a shot at a nice homeguard or two as well. Sounds like some guys on this charter got rocked last year fishing 80-80, praying for some of that lol!

Still got plenty of time to mix and match, and acquire some extra gear but for now this is that I’m planning on bringing.

Reels:

Rods:
Seeker OSP 1x3 60-100
Seeker SSR 7650 40-60
Seeker SSR 7660 50-80
Calstar 800M
Calstar 800H
Calstar 90JMAG

Zboy
Man I’m glad to see this thread!! I’m here to talk fishing, not virus or politics. Great timing on your trip and great boat. Guadalupe is a special place. I think you’ve done as well as you can about the sharks, at Guadalupe I’ve told myself it’s just part of the game. Going in November is good. Your quiver looks solid to me. I think you’re set. Last couple of years it’s been mostly 40-60lb test for yft. There were days you needed 30 and days you needed 80. Looks like you got it pegged. Bait selection and adjusting to the conditions is critical.
The yellowtail put on a show this last fall. They dealt out some destruction. Guys were getting smoked on 130. You had to pull with buttoned drag and have a ton of luck to get one. When you did it was a brute. Don’t forget to try things no one else is. My last couple of trips that had really produced for me. It changes month to month trip to trip but it is always epic there. I’m going in October. Looking forward to it. Enjoy getting ready.
stay healthy
Scott

Reactions: RichG

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
You are in very good shape. I was there last year in Oct., Nov. and Dec. I am going back this year in late Oct. and early Dec. Your Nov. trip is right in the middle of the best time period. Hopefully the sharks will be complete gone by Nov.
You have many of the same rods and reels that I use namely Talica 12ii, Talica 16ii, Accurate 600N and OSP 1X3, SSR 6550 and Calstar 800H. You are good with your spectra and you can change the size of your fluro leaders as need.
Last year the fish were really line shy and at times you needed a stealth outfit to get bit. My brother and I used Penn Fathom 25 and 30 2 speeds and Avet MXL raptors loaded with 50lb Jerry Brown solid and a 35lb fluro leader with small hooks. It helped to have an 8' rod to cast out past the seals that often hang out right behind the boat.
When you are drooperloop fishing for the yellows you need to go really heavy. Often you are fishing for the yellows at night and the size of the line does not matter. We use Avet HX raptors filled with 135lb spectra. Sometimes I use a Talica 30 wide 2 speed but the HX raptors are lighter and easier to fish when you are at the rail for hours.
Last year we fished 130lb and 150lb fluro for our drooperloop outfits and still got rocked. The big fluro is very expensive and you can just use 130lb or 150lb mono if you want but the fluro is a little tougher if you get pulled into the rocks which is going to happen no matter how hard you pull. In the past we have fished 80lb and 100lb mono leaders for drooperloop but you break off too many fish. If you have never been to Guadalupe before you are in for a really fun trip.

Kahuna_tuna

Aug 10, 2012
Delta
Name
Marco
Boat
Singles only
I fished with Apollo at Lupe mid nov last year, great weather, great fishing... I booked for early dec this year with Apollo again.. hopefully all the bad stuff going away quickly and bring on the good fishing. Btw, last year I started with 50 and 60 FC and 1/0 and 2/0 only got a few odd bites here and there... Then I scale it down to 30 with size 2 got bite instantly but you gonna pay for it, minimum 45min on the rail and my 105 yf took almost 2 hrs.. good luck

Yellowtail Dan

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
How much drag is needed when dropperlooping for big Guadalupe yellows?
Take your biggest reel and nut that thing down. Put the rod on the rail try and keep it level and and turn the handle. If you give them anything they will make you pay. You alrady have great advice above I'll just add to make sure you bring plenty of 40lb Flc and small circle hooks 1 and 2's.

We were there in December last year and everyone on the trip (24 people) had at least one over 100lb's. Some were caught on 60lb but most on 40lb and 50lb flc topshots with small hooks

Have fun, it's a great place to go and the time you're going and the boat you're riding are a great match

Aug 17, 2017
Califonia
Name
Scott
Boat
Shogun
How much drag is needed when dropperlooping for big Guadalupe yellows?
I’ll put it this way. On the shogun last year I had the crew set it for me to make sure. Dave set it so we couldn’t pull any off the reel both of us trying to pull on it!!! The yt still pulled line! We called it getting corn holed. Of course everyone cheering for you to pull. Got some, lost some. I switched to yo-yo and got my pb using 80lb on a tady 4/0.
I love that place
Scott

Attachments

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Scott, do us a favor with the names of the guys in that pic.
I know it’s Dave (the tall one) also recognize Paul. Is that Renee, too?

Avatar pic went 39 lbs on the Five Star scale. Got it flylining a nice 12” Greenie, 2 oz slider, 60 lb fluorocarbon topshot, BX2-600N. Try that, at least you start out nearer the surface with a better shot at the fish, keeping it from going back to the bottom where it’s Sayonara!

Aug 17, 2017
Califonia
Name
Scott
Boat
Shogun
Scott, do us a favor with the names of the guys in that pic.
I know it’s Dave (the tall one) also recognize Paul. Is that Renee, too?

Avatar pic went 39 lbs on the Five Star scale. Got it flylining a nice 12” Greenie, 2 oz slider, 60 lb fluorocarbon topshot, BX2-600N. Try that, at least you start out nearer the surface with a better shot at the fish, keeping it from going back to the bottom where it’s Sayonara!
Tyler, Paul, Dave, Joe, and Curtis I think.
Great boat and fabulous crew!!! Can’t wait to see those guys again. They busted their butts to get us on fish and made sure we all had a good time. My fellow passengers were all great folks too.
That fish was a hair under 50. I got it on a torque 40nld 2 calstar 800xxh 80 prospec 80 blk water tady 4/0 scramble egg prism. Casting it as far as I could and swimming the jig not burning it. (Kind of like a surface iron speed.) Try something different. Same technique got a 40 the day before near tuna alley
Scott

red_teppin

Aug 8, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Boat
no
Last September, we had smallish sardines and it was a compromise between getting bit vs getting sharked vs pulling hooks /breaking off.

I scaled down the leader on a couple of rigs, but kept the drags the same. 50lb to 40lb, Fathom 40, Predator, #1 Mutu, 15lbs @ strike. I also switched from a 10ft leader to about 25ft.

Dont know if the Apollo chunks but we did in December. I always bring a few swiveled 6/0 Mutus. Caught my PB calico on a fist sized mackeral donut and 80lb ha!

Never seen too many surface iron yellows at the Lupe, but most people fish them with other methods. 50-60, 2oz slider is a good setup if your running and gunning sonar YT.

Dropper looping, 100lb+, 5 cranks off the bottom, full drag, low gear, rail. If you survive the first minute or so you have a good chance of landing it!

YMMV. Have fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott McPherson

cutcamp

Nueve Dedos
Aug 10, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
Eric Dahlkamp
Boat
215 Triumph "Nail Em Again"
Zboy,
Not sure about November, but the chunk has been pretty good at Guad the last 2 Augusts. I keep a combo ready to drop a chunk down at all times. Either the 600N or the Tac 20 would work well for this.
Eric

malanx

Royal Star 200# Club
Sep 28, 2011
Mountain View
Name
Jonny
Boat
SD landings
Seconding what Mike said about needing a stealth outfit, or two...

Specifically you're going to want to put 50# solid spectra on either your Trinidad 20 or Talica 12 (or both). In a pick bite, or as that island often is, a reaction pick bite, your bait will swim much better with the 50# spectra vs 65#.

If you don't want to take all the spectra off ($$$) you can put ~ 100 yards of 50 on top of the 65.

Reaction pick --- get a good butt hooked bait, that you get out from the boat, and then takes off straight down. Need light line and great free spool and some luck.

Aug 17, 2017
Califonia
Name
Scott
Boat
Shogun
On the soak. I like a good size primo bait with stamina. Pronounced freckles for contrast

But, When the boat is established and on the anchor. When that short magical window happens on the chummed (spot) corner for maybe 1 hour. From hours and hours of chumming and the current becomes right and the fish are on the (spot) while breezing through the stern to make a pass through the (spot). Small fire cracker for the (spot) or short stern soak

If a Fisher can not cast to the spot no problem. Fish short stern during that window

Its common for the crew on the tank to be chumimg the smaller baits all day. The (spot) is a reaction insto bite. Have noticed deploying a small fire bait into the (spot) gets bit better then a medium-large primo bait after recieving some advice

Match the hatch

After the crew confirming what was happening to me after asking, why my big stud sardine was not getting bit landing on the (spot). Was gifted a fire cracker, game on. Allot of fishers changed to small primo baits for a short time window

Small sardines do not cast good. So I nose hook them and wing em trying for a bite in under 10 seconds. If they land bad and injured no biggy. Not a soaking bait. Maybe wounded is good

Takes self control to pass up a big stud sardine. But there are little studs also
There is some really good stuff on that one!!
Thanks
Scott

Aug 17, 2017
Califonia
Name
Scott
Boat
Shogun
Seconding what Mike said about needing a stealth outfit, or two...

Specifically you're going to want to put 50# solid spectra on either your Trinidad 20 or Talica 12 (or both). In a pick bite, or as that island often is, a reaction pick bite, your bait will swim much better with the 50# spectra vs 65#.

If you don't want to take all the spectra off ($$$) you can put ~ 100 yards of 50 on top of the 65.

Reaction pick --- get a good butt hooked bait, that you get out from the boat, and then takes off straight down. Need light line and great free spool and some luck.
Spot on right here. I’d like to add a few ideas. Try the thinner spectre prospec or maxcuatro. You can fish 65 with a diameter of 50. Bait swims easier with stronger rated line. Makes it a more adjustable set up.
Have your reels blueprinted by Cal to maximize freespool. I don’t care what reel you’re talking about it’ll work better after they trick it out.
Shoulder hook on second dot just under skin. When that tuna looks up at that bait it won’t see the hook. Don’t be afraid of j hooks in stealth mode. Less likely to mangle your bait. Scott

Reactions: ZZZZZ

Fishingangler

Jan 18, 2007
La Verne, CA
Name
Refugio Garcia
Boat
None
You've gotten great advise. I've fished the island about 5 times and will be there again in October. It can be a challenging and humbling place to fish. Best advise I can give you is to listen to the crew and ask those that are catching what they are doing. The only difference maybe something subtle like you are using hollow spectra and they are using solid. Be mindful that every year is different and things can change from one day to another. So it helps to be open minded and flexible. What worked last year or yesterday may not work today, i.e., yesterday they bit on a 6' fluorocarbon, today they prefer a boat length of mono with a 3' fluro topshot. On the week prior to your trip, talk to the landing/boat to get a better idea of what to expect and gear you want to make sure you have, e.g., most YFT are about 60 lbs and are biting best on 40# fluorocarbon on small size #4 or #2 circle hooks. I fish the Apollo once a year and they have a great crew and operate out of Seaforth Landing. On calling the landing, suggest you talk to Fisherman's Landing (they will have the latest and best information and advise). The Fish Taco Chronicles' 2019 winter edition has a good article "Guadalupe Island Fishing Tips" by Doug Inouye that I recommend you read.

Last edited:

norcaltunaclub

www.octunaclub.com
Mar 18, 2011
Orange County
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris

Reels:

Rods:
Seeker OSP 1x3 60-100
Seeker SSR 7650 40-60
Seeker SSR 7660 50-80
Calstar 800M
Calstar 800H
Calstar 90JMAG

Here's an article from the latest issue of Fish Taco Chronicles....it was from my November Guadalupe trip. Enjoy.

Below is a BD Report and video if you're interested. PM me if you have any questions....we've been dialed in over there for the past 4 years. Take care and be safe. Cheers - Doug

Last edited:

pgangler

12Wt
Jul 25, 2012
Pacific Grove, Calif
Name
Ron
Boat
Was Cabo35, now RR3
Last Nov/Dec, I found my Tac 12ii and 16ii had a little too much inertia to cast a medium-sized sardine quite far enough at the Lupe. The guys with small 2-speeds and really hot baits were getting bit much more consistently. So I'm dropping down to a Mak10 with 50lb spectra and 40lb mono - if I need it. The caveat is that we didn't see any sharks - no doubt I couldn't horse a fish back to the boat with this outfit, if that was necessary.
Good luck, and I'm glad to be talking about fishing!! Will be headed back to the Lupe on the Star on the same trip this year. This is my new favorite LR experience.

Aug 17, 2017
Califonia
Name
Scott
Boat
Shogun
Last Nov/Dec, I found my Tac 12ii and 16ii had a little too much inertia to cast a medium-sized sardine quite far enough at the Lupe. The guys with small 2-speeds and really hot baits were getting bit much more consistently. So I'm dropping down to a Mak10 with 50lb spectra and 40lb mono - if I need it. The caveat is that we didn't see any sharks - no doubt I couldn't horse a fish back to the boat with this outfit, if that was necessary.
Good luck, and I'm glad to be talking about fishing!! Will be headed back to the Lupe on the Star on the same trip this year. This is my new favorite LR experience.
Send them both to Cal to get blue printed. Use 65 prospec in the 12 and 80 on the 16 tied directly to 12-20ft of flouo. Magic combos with plenty of horsepower. The 65 is the diameter of 50 regular spectre. Less weight for tiny ‘dine to pull through water. Works like a charm.
regards
Scott

Yellowtail Dan

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
I would load your Mak 10 with 50lb solid. It was my go to reel there in December but mine was filled with hallow. The bait and the bite was geared much more to the thinner solid spectra. I got my share of bites but I had to work a lot harder for them. It’s a great reel for that application. I just bought a Mak 8 to use a stealth set up there with 50lb solid to a 40lb top shot