jsl

Oct 8, 2005
Ontario
Name
Scott
Boat
none
Hi guys,

I'll be on holiday in Australia for the first time and am in need of some help/recommendations. I'll be there from 12/24-1/6 and will be visiting Sydney, Cairns, and possibly two other cities. I'm currently thinking of Darwin and or Brisbane.

I would love to fish there along with the usual touristy stuff so I would really appreciate it if any of you gents can point me in the right direction with regard to fishing. I'd like to catch something I wouldn't be able to catch out here on the west coast, especially the baramundi and saratoga. In addition to those two, what are some other fresh water species you guys target out there?

I'd like to also fish salt water so I will be in Cairns for that. Does Sydney offer fishing trips? If so, where and what can I expect to catch during that time of year? Any other cities, places I should check out for a uniquely Australian angling experience? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

Upvote 0

tassie73

Apr 27, 2011
Australia
Name
Chris Ypelaan
Boat
None
Hi Scott

Try the Aussie forums for more information mate. Alternatively, once in a city just head into a local tackleshop and have a chat to the guys & girls in there and they will point you in the right direction.

Plenty of saltwater fishing to be had in all those locations, freshwater might be a little more of an effort, but still plenty of trout and bass to chase.

Charters are available but like everywhere, do some research before hand. Cairns & Townsville are the places for Barra and Saratoga. Look for a reputable charter operator that has good reviews on the forums.

Hope that helps out a bit. I am not in that part of Australia, I live in the soutern-most state :)

Upvote 0

tassie73

Apr 27, 2011
Australia
Name
Chris Ypelaan
Boat
None
Hi Scott

Try the Aussie forums for more information mate. Alternatively, once in a city just head into a local tackleshop and have a chat to the guys & girls in there and they will point you in the right direction.

Plenty of saltwater fishing to be had in all those locations, freshwater might be a little more of an effort, but still plenty of trout and bass to chase.

Charters are available but like everywhere, do some research before hand. Cairns & Townsville are the places for Barra and Saratoga. Look for a reputable charter operator that has good reviews on the forums.

Hope that helps out a bit. I am not in that part of Australia, I live in the southern-most state :)

Upvote 0

rbalanson

Aug 17, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Name
Rich
Boat
The boat of the moment
Scott, since you will be here during the middle of the Aussie summer, the best place to fish is Sydney harbour itself (or its sister harbour, Botany Bay)

Contact Scotty Lyons at http://www.fishingsydney.com.au/. He runs a local charter company that does a very nice job. Alternatively, contact FishAboutTours, out of Sydney

Regarding the north, you are a bit early, the best "run off" fishing is Feb thru March, April. Lots of options out of either Cairns or Darwin. The most specular northern territories fishing is out of Melville Island....about a 30 min small plane trip north of Darwin. 20-30 species including Barra and Saratoga.

The best tackle shop in Sydney is Global Tackle...look them up and ask for Wahyu, a local expert

Otherwise remember, area of the USA, half the population of California.....great fish to fisherman ratio !!

Upvote 0

monsoon

Feb 15, 2010
Sydney
Name
Dan
Boat
18ft cc
For sydney get onto craig magil at fishabout tours.

Go for a morning harbor kingfishing. He is a very busy guide and these are peak dates so book early. See if you can book a morning with a rising tide by 9 am or so. They are my favorite mornings. You get a personalized harbor tour and great fishing for yellow tail.

If in Darwin try Mark West for a guide. Awesome fishing the harbour drains (mudflats)for barra or heading out to one of the big rivers to look for big barra.

Cairns try blackout sportfishing for an inshore gt/ mackerel charter or hire one of the many game boats for a multi day reef adventure. http://www.blackoutsportsfishing.com/

For a unique aussie angling experience i recommend either fishing for murray cod on the murrumbidge river 5 hours drive south west of sydney with riverina sportfishing 0427 692 522 or go toss lures for eastern spotted cod and australian bass from a canoe in the sub tropical rain forrest 5 hours north of Sydney http://www.basslodge.com.au/

Upvote 0