First time launch out of new port

Fernando gil

Aug 17, 2019
Bakersfield
Name
Fernando
Boat
Grady white
So I’m pulling my boat down to Huntington Beach. I’ve gotta a 24 ft Grady white it’s older solid boat I usually fish channel island or port San Luis. Well I’m taking a shot next weekend at some of the local bluefin that’s around IF it’s still around next weekend. I’ll be in Huntington Beach for work all week for work. So I’m looking for a lil help to be pointed in the right direction. I’ll be launching out of Newport or Huntington. Are there any other place in between there that has 24hour launch access? Newport gots bait but Huntington doesn’t! That’s some what of my issue Newport launch opens at 6 Huntington is 24hrs.
So my plan is to start making my way to Catalina first thing after trying to make a lil mackerel for bait on top of what I pick up from the bait dock. Then just start looking for foamers or breezers or on the electronics. And then try to find my own fish and try my ass of to hook one. Well it’s just an idea/ plan if the tuna are gone I’m on to yellowtail and barracuda calicos whatever is biting best. Catalina will be my final destination. Don have the fuel range for Clemente I’ve only got 100gal tank on and a 2 stroke motor. Solid Yamaha ox66 250 and get over 100miles on a full tank but 100 miles is my comfort zone. Any ways so yeah I’m looking for a lil direction or of anyone is going to be out there what channel you going to be on? Not asking or expecting anyone to give up there honey holes or anything like that. But any words of encouragement or advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks for reading and tight lines….🎣🎣🎣

Reactions: Shewillbemine
Upvote 0

split172

Aug 3, 2015
Orange County
Name
One More
Boat
Steiger Craft 25
Launch from Sunset Aquatic Park in Huntington Harbor. Grab bait from Nachos bait barge right next to Long Beach break wall on your right. Make macs there then make the crossing. Approximately 26 miles each way just to Cat. So have about another 48 to search.

Upvote 0

Ddowdy

Aug 4, 2005
Tustin
Name
Devin Dowdy
Boat
Any
Don't launch from Newport... It is a long run at harbor speed, questionable bait, and if returning during day light, down right miserable with duffy/kayak/paddle board traffic.

Reactions: Dun
Upvote 0

Dragon

It is what it is...
May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
I you really want to go to SCI, top off in Avalon and again coming back from SCI...Probably dont have to go that far from what Im hearing GL

Last edited:
Reactions: Fernando gil
Upvote 0