First time in 5 years, advice?

fishnbeer

Jul 7, 2012
Trucko de taco
Name
JD
Boat
Boaty McBoatface
Hey guys I have not been on here in quite a while, got married had a kid, all my hobbies and free time went out the window. Starting to get back out on the water again, did a couple lingcod/rockfish trips out of emeryville last month.

Anyway, we are flying into san diego in a couple weeks and I already booked a spot on a 3/4 day boat out of seaforth. I have fished out of H&M and fishermans landing a couple times so I got a good idea of what to expect. I got all my own gear but I dont want to deal with checking rods on the plane when we already have a stroller and all the baby crap so I will just rent a rod down there.

Really where I need advice is bringing the fish back home. I got a cheapo cooler that fits size dimensions for the plane, but where can I get the fish processed + packed + frozen? And is there a place that will throw the entire cooler into a freezer for 2 days before we fly out? Is there a freezer @ the airport or at the hotels or anything?

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Five star processing. They will flash freeze the fish. Just pick it up the day before heading to airport. Easier to travel with a soft cooler, hopefully that's what you bought as it also saves on weight.

Reactions: kevina
    Upvote 0

Irishman

Irishman
  • Jul 20, 2004
    La Mesa
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    n/a
    To be honest a 3/4 day trip will not yield enough fish to validate a schedule with a processor etc..unless the boat and you catch above 30lb bluefin, and you limit out with two, catch 10 mahi etc or yellowtail . Currently 3/4 days are limiting on fish on the Coronado Islands, offshore 3/4 days are sucking wind. If you fish mexican waters possible limits on yellowtail, I think it’s four per person in Mex. Better sources will chime in. I would not worry about it now. You can buy smoked fish at Mario’s about a 5 min walk from Seaforth.

Reactions: Cheese Burt
    Upvote 0
    Aug 11, 2015
    Vancouver
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Zodiac
    I use the soft bag AO Coolers, 48 can fits 50 lbs of frozen fish. Just let the processors know that you want it flash frozen and pick it up on the way to the airport. Five Star is excellent and Fishermans Landing is of similar quality.

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Hey guys I have not been on here in quite a while, got married had a kid, all my hobbies and free time went out the window. Starting to get back out on the water again, did a couple lingcod/rockfish trips out of emeryville last month.

Anyway, we are flying into san diego in a couple weeks and I already booked a spot on a 3/4 day boat out of seaforth. I have fished out of H&M and fishermans landing a couple times so I got a good idea of what to expect. I got all my own gear but I dont want to deal with checking rods on the plane when we already have a stroller and all the baby crap so I will just rent a rod down there.

Really where I need advice is bringing the fish back home. I got a cheapo cooler that fits size dimensions for the plane, but where can I get the fish processed + packed + frozen? And is there a place that will throw the entire cooler into a freezer for 2 days before we fly out? Is there a freezer @ the airport or at the hotels or anything?
    Get on a all day trip that leaves at 5-6 am and gets back in between 6-8pm, Tell tour wife it gets in around the same as a 3/4 boat. Get on the Liberty (Fishermans Landing), Grande (H and M landing) or the San Diego (Sea Forth Sportfishing). Your chances of catching a good amount of fish is double as oppose to a 3/4 boat. Go on their websites and see the fish counts for yourself, BIG difference between 3/4 and full day fishing boats. Five Star fish processing will get tour fish cleaned, frozen etc. Don't waste your time with a hard cooler as someone mentioned, Get a good soft Bag Ice cooler. You can rent tour rods at the landing and buy all the necessary fishing tackle also, Don't just get the minimum tackle the office recommends, Ask a crew member what else you may need before the boat departs and get it then, More than likely all you need is different size hooks, some sliding sinkers and maybe a few torpedo sinkers and a few jigs, The last two items would be for fishing yellowtail deep. Good luck. P.S If you fish the Coronado Islands you WILL NEED A PASSPORT or your not going fishing.

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    I use the soft bag AO Coolers, 48 can fits 50 lbs of frozen fish. Just let the processors know that you want it flash frozen and pick it up on the way to the airport. Five Star is excellent and Fishermans Landing is of similar quality.
    X2 on 5 STAR

Upvote 0

fishnbeer

Jul 7, 2012
    Trucko de taco
    Name
    JD
    Boat
    Boaty McBoatface
    So I completely forgot about my passport... it expired last october. I called seafoeth and they said the san diego is heading out 'offshore' and passport not req'd, but if plans change they will call me. If needed they can issue a refund or put me on another boat

Totally forgot about that until I read the replies!

Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
    Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat
    skiff
    Call your airline and ask about their fish shipping policy.

Upvote 0