First time fishing Alaska

AKSalmon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
Looks like Alaska will be opening Friday. I wonder if Yakutat will open as well? I have a trip planned in September.
The opening will not be state wide or 100% in the places that do open. Things are encouraging but be very careful before you commit money to a vacation up here. For example, some restaurants in Juneau will open on Friday but at only 25% of capacity, and people can sit at the same table only if they are in the same family. I'm not sure how that will affect dating (and copulating) non married couples but I should find out this weekend...

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
The article I read said fully reopen like it was before the virus with no capacity limits. This was an Anchorage newspaper. I know Yakutat has their own council so maybe that is the case in other locations as well. I’m not sure. This is what I read. Sounds encouraging.

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
Pretty crazy but good news for me as it’s my first time to Alaska as well. I’ve been planning this trip for year.

Randal

randal
Nov 29, 2004
California
Name
randal
Boat
19' Marine Specialty
Reopening on Friday is for those that are already there. The biggest issue is the 14 day quarantine which remains in affect until June 2nd. The mayors of Juneau and Anchorage want it to be extended. I hope this info is wrong but it is the latest that I can find.

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
Where and what outfit are you fishing with in Yakutat?
I’m fishing a couple of days on my own from a rented boat. I also have a couple days Chartered with Geoff Widows. I have a day with Bob Fraker for Silver Salmon on th Arhnklin River. Gonna do some river fishing on my own. I’ll be staying at a Bed and Breakfast and an Airbnb. Never been to Alaska so this should be fun and interesting.

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
Couple of pointers from a former resident... save your salmon bellies for halibut bait, and bear spray is regarded as merely “seasoning” by bear-savvy locals. Those in the know regard gunpowder as the only truly effective repellent.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Couple of pointers from a former resident... save your salmon bellies for halibut bait, and bear spray is regarded as merely “seasoning” by bear-savvy locals. Those in the know regard gunpowder as the only truly effective repellent.
I second the bear spray, You can never have enough!! Also save the Salmon Heads for the bigger Hali's.

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
If you do get up there, and the pinks and chums are running, it is legal to use them for bait. For other salmon, you can use only the head, fins and other parts you don't typically eat. But pinks and chums are fair game and good for halibut bait.

STANWOOD BOB

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 1, 2012
WA
Name
Bob
Boat
NA
Looks like Alaska will be opening Friday. I wonder if Yakutat will open as well? I have a trip planned in September.
September is a long way off and restrictions are relaxing but coming from the "outside" right now 2 week quarantine is still in effect! I'm bummed myself as I'd be packing right now for one of my two trips to SE AK.......

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
September is a long way off and restrictions are relaxing but coming from the "outside" right now 2 week quarantine is still in effect! I'm bummed myself as I'd be packing right now for one of my two trips to SE AK.......
That’s true. Hopefully, it will be lifted soon.

Reactions: STANWOOD BOB
May 17, 2019
Eagle River
Name
Joe
Boat
Salmonella
i really hope it gets lifted but until the governor starts to see other states get their covid problems figured out i dont think they are going to want a high influx of people coming into the state. Should get an update in the next week or so about it.

Reactions: STANWOOD BOB

Randal

randal
Nov 29, 2004
California
Name
randal
Boat
19' Marine Specialty
I think the quarantine has worked keeping the infection rate low but the loss of the tourist dollar must also be on the governors mind. I'm wondering how he weighs the scale.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Alaska just reported the highest single day new case counts for Anchorage, MatSu and the Kenai on Saturday, May 30th.

1591033765118.png

Last edited:
May 17, 2019
Eagle River
Name
Joe
Boat
Salmonella
Try the whole salmon. Keeps the small ones off till one big enough to eat it shows up. You won’t catch as many, but it’s the ultimate mega halibut bait.
Ya i have heard that. we normally use a big salmon bellies. I am sure people will turn their nose up at that and say "salmon bellies are the best" maybe they are but i would rather tun 3 ounces of fish in to 50 pounds of fish. After getting a few halibut between 80 and 200 pounds we have decided that the ones in the 50 pound range are the best eating for us. i hate dealing with the 4" thick fillets and they just seem harder to cook. If we bring people and they want to go for bigger ones i just let them know they have to take it all. Wife caught one last weekend that was around 30 pounds or so and gave us about 5 dinners worth of fish which is perfect. Only need a few of those a year and we are set. I leave the big ones for other people to bonk.

Reactions: kevina

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Ya i have heard that. we normally use a big salmon bellies. I am sure people will turn their nose up at that and say "salmon bellies are the best" maybe they are but i would rather tun 3 ounces of fish in to 50 pounds of fish. After getting a few halibut between 80 and 200 pounds we have decided that the ones in the 50 pound range are the best eating for us. i hate dealing with the 4" thick fillets and they just seem harder to cook. If we bring people and they want to go for bigger ones i just let them know they have to take it all. Wife caught one last weekend that was around 30 pounds or so and gave us about 5 dinners worth of fish which is perfect. Only need a few of those a year and we are set. I leave the big ones for other people to bonk.
Catch a Big One, Take a picture in the water and release it. I agree with you on eating the big ones, there tuff, harder to cook and not the same flavor as the 40-60 lb halibut's, The smaller one's taste and cook a lot better.

May 17, 2019
Eagle River
Name
Joe
Boat
Salmonella
though about doing that as well. I am not the best at getting them circle hooks out quick especially when you got a 100 pound mean ass halibut in the water. Thought about getting bolt cutters so i can just cut the hook. I dont think hooks rust out as quick as people think. We caught a 80 pounder that had some line sticking out of the side of the stomach. When we filleted it we opened up its stomach and found a treble hook inside that had not rusted out at all and the line that was attached to it slowly pushed through its stomach and out the side of the fish. Thats why i dont really want to just cut the line and leave a hook in its mouth.

Reactions: kevina