First time fishing Alaska

Rikitiki87

Aug 3, 2019
Garden grove
Name
Enrique
Boat
20” Center console
Getting ready to plan a trip to Alaska this summer, leaning toward Ketchikan. Looking for some information/tips recommendations. Want to fish two days at least. Go for Halibut one day and chase King Salmon the second. Any information would be appreciated. Looking for a charter or guide

Last edited:

BirdDawg!

Jun 21, 2019
Home
Name
Nope
Boat
Yup
Be sure to research timing for kings. I did a SE Lodge trip a few years ago with expectations on catching kings, there were tons of pics of them on their site only find out we were a month late and no kings around.

Reactions: Rikitiki87

palgsw

Jul 24, 2008
la ca
Name
sherman
Boat
none
Getting ready to plan a trip to Alaska this summer, leaning toward Ketchikan. Looking for some information/tips recommendations. Want to fish two days at least. Go for Halibut one day and chase King Salmon the second. Any information would be appreciated. Looking for a charter or guide

AKSalmon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
King salmon fishing in all of SE Alaska has been very slow or closed for the last few years. You might consider going to Homer or Seward, or at the very least, call your lodge in Ketchikan and see what they say.

palgsw

Jul 24, 2008
la ca
Name
sherman
Boat
none
If you're flying into Anchorage, the drive from Anchorage to Kenai is spectacular. For chasing the kings on the Kenai, need to time your trip to the May run or July/August run, be ready for trolling, trolling, trolling and maybe catching. For Halibut, find an operator that launches off the beach in Deep Creek. Even if you don't find a barn door, a beach launch is a unique experience. Alternative to Deep Creek for halibut is a bit further drive up the road to Homer. Many halibut operations out of Homer.

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Almud
Boat
Wish I Had One
There are a few good lodges about 45 minutes west of Juneau by float plane in Pelican and Elfin Cove. Kings normally available in May to June.

Ventura Bill

Dec 22, 2016
Ventura
Name
Bill
Boat
None
If you're flying into Anchorage, the drive from Anchorage to Kenai is spectacular. For chasing the kings on the Kenai, need to time your trip to the May run or July/August run, be ready for trolling, trolling, trolling and maybe catching. For Halibut, find an operator that launches off the beach in Deep Creek. Even if you don't find a barn door, a beach launch is a unique experience. Alternative to Deep Creek for halibut is a bit further drive up the road to Homer. Many halibut operations out of Homer.
We will be in Homer at the end of June - any recommendations for halibut charters? We are from so cal and experienced in rock and lings but really want to get a nice hali. Would be for me and my boy and possibly two others, I could possibly fill a six pack if that's how they run up there.

Thanks, Bill

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
ALBUQUERQUE
Name
Nicholas Bronson
Boat
themodcatfish
We will be in Homer at the end of June - any recommendations for halibut charters? We are from so cal and experienced in rock and lings but really want to get a nice hali. Would be for me and my boy and possibly two others, I could possibly fill a six pack if that's how they run up there.

Thanks, Bill
First choice for Homer halibut, especially if you're after size over fast action, Josh Brooks http://www.brooksakadventures.com/index.html
Second choice Mike Mann

They are 6-pack boats, but also open party. And also, at least on a "normal" year, they both fill up pretty quickly. If you want halibut only, targetting bigger fish, then it would be good to try to fill the boat if it's available, since there are a lot of king salmon around at that time and king/halibut combos are popular.

Ling in my avatar came with Mike. Add another ling around 40 that day, plus my limit of 2 halibut at 60 and 80, and a mess of rockfish. My freezer overflowed! Granted, that would be my best day on the water of any AK charter, of which I've done a quite a few, but still...

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
As of today, if you fly to Alaska this summer, you must stay in quarantine for 14 days. Two weeks in an Anchorage hotel to start a fishing trip doesn't sound like fun. Before you make any plans, you really need to call your lodge or outfitter. In Juneau, at least, charters simply are not running now. Perhaps things will be better by August. Maybe.

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
Best kept secret in Alaska, but it should be way more popular than it is. Old Harbor, on the south side of Kodiak Island. If you want an honest shot at a 50+lb king in the salt, the south side of Kodiak is ground zero. Lived in AK for a number of years, used to trailer to Homer, ferry across to Kodiak, and then run the 60+ mi down and around. We took the boat across on its own bottom a couple of times, but it can get a tad hairy under some weather conditions and tidal states. Kodiak Combos in Old Harbor is by far the best charter and lodging operation in the area. They run an on point operation and they know how to catch fish. Oh, and the halibut are caught in much shallower water there. You can use much lighter gear and it puts the fun back in the fight.

Reactions: nicodemus

Randal

randal
Nov 29, 2004
California
Name
randal
Boat
19' Marine Specialty
As of today, if you fly to Alaska this summer, you must stay in quarantine for 14 days. Two weeks in an Anchorage hotel to start a fishing trip doesn't sound like fun. Before you make any plans, you really need to call your lodge or outfitter. In Juneau, at least, charters simply are not running now. Perhaps things will be better by August. Maybe.
The 14 day quarantine has been in affect for awhile but I think something will have to change. I heard and Billy L told me that on May 20th the state will be making an announcement about restrictions. I don't think Alaska will keep this restriction, it will destroy the states tourist economy, if the damage has not already been done. I understand because the state does not have the ability to control the virus in rural communities but with Ravn not flying they are isolated. I hope to see the state in later July.

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
No one knows what will happen. Of course, everyone hopes the problems, including the 14 day quarantine, will be soon eliminated, but I wouldn't count on it. Make travel plans only if they can be cancelled without serious penalty. There will be no cruise ships coming to SE Alaska until August at he earliest. Many charter outfits make a huge portion of their income from charter customers. This might be good for the fish but it is horrible for people who make their living charter fishing.

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
ALBUQUERQUE
Name
Nicholas Bronson
Boat
themodcatfish
Best kept secret in Alaska, but it should be way more popular than it is. Old Harbor, on the south side of Kodiak Island. If you want an honest shot at a 50+lb king in the salt, the south side of Kodiak is ground zero. Lived in AK for a number of years, used to trailer to Homer, ferry across to Kodiak, and then run the 60+ mi down and around. We took the boat across on its own bottom a couple of times, but it can get a tad hairy under some weather conditions and tidal states. Kodiak Combos in Old Harbor is by far the best charter and lodging operation in the area. They run an on point operation and they know how to catch fish. Oh, and the halibut are caught in much shallower water there. You can use much lighter gear and it puts the fun back in the fight.
Josh in Homer fishes shallow, too, for halibut. Big ones. My best with him is a 140 that we got in 50 ft. of water. He got a 300+ a week ago, and though he doesn't mention it, I'd bet it came from one of his shallow rockpiles he fishes. They call it "fishing the kelp," but it's usually a rockpile. Of course, the kings aren't usually as big, but Josh has a couple of pigs on his FB page I think he got with his wife. Look like close to 30lb fish.

I've been wanting to do Kodiak for a long time. Last time I checked, it seemed most of the boats didn't do solo-angler open party type trips. I'll have to check again. If you're flying from Anchorage, it really isn't much different than flying down to Homer.

Ventura Bill

Dec 22, 2016
Ventura
Name
Bill
Boat
None
First choice for Homer halibut, especially if you're after size over fast action, Josh Brooks http://www.brooksakadventures.com/index.html
Second choice Mike Mann

They are 6-pack boats, but also open party. And also, at least on a "normal" year, they both fill up pretty quickly. If you want halibut only, targetting bigger fish, then it would be good to try to fill the boat if it's available, since there are a lot of king salmon around at that time and king/halibut combos are popular.

Ling in my avatar came with Mike. Add another ling around 40 that day, plus my limit of 2 halibut at 60 and 80, and a mess of rockfish. My freezer overflowed! Granted, that would be my best day on the water of any AK charter, of which I've done a quite a few, but still...
No one knows what will happen. Of course, everyone hopes the problems, including the 14 day quarantine, will be soon eliminated, but I wouldn't count on it. Make travel plans only if they can be cancelled without serious penalty. There will be no cruise ships coming to SE Alaska until August at he earliest. Many charter outfits make a huge portion of their income from charter customers. This might be good for the fish but it is horrible for people who make their living charter fishing.

Thanks guys, we are in close contact with our friends up there and aware of the 14 day quarantine. We are planning as if it will be lifted. We booked way before the virus and have good flexibility in our tickets.

Love the idea of going big but that will be relative for us - a big halibut down here is 30 lbs. The biggest fish I've caught was 60 LB (bft) so size isn't as important. Just want to know what it feels like to get a "barn door" up and over the rail.

We are so excited, can't stop checking it all out. Pent up energy from the last few weeks of deciding if we are going. Can't get shit done for work :)

Thanks for the advise fellas.

Bill

waldocod

Mar 27, 2007
Washington
Name
Steve
Boat
Arima Sea Legend
Josh in Homer fishes shallow, too, for halibut. Big ones. My best with him is a 140 that we got in 50 ft. of water. He got a 300+ a week ago, and though he doesn't mention it, I'd bet it came from one of his shallow rockpiles he fishes. They call it "fishing the kelp," but it's usually a rockpile. Of course, the kings aren't usually as big, but Josh has a couple of pigs on his FB page I think he got with his wife. Look like close to 30lb fish.

I've been wanting to do Kodiak for a long time. Last time I checked, it seemed most of the boats didn't do solo-angler open party type trips. I'll have to check again. If you're flying from Anchorage, it really isn't much different than flying down to Homer.
Last year, my wife and I got 6 Halibut over 100lbs in our boat. All in under 40’ of water. Sure a lot nicer than that 700’ stuff in Sitka!

STANWOOD BOB

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 1, 2012
WA
Name
Bob
Boat
NA
Last year, my wife and I got 6 Halibut over 100lbs in our boat. All in under 40’ of water. Sure a lot nicer than that 700’ stuff in Sitka!
I love fishing the 800' line at the shelf drop off in Sitka! Always felt it was a "character building experience!"

Billy L

AK halibut charter captain
Jul 4, 2009
San Diego and AK
Name
Billy
Boat
25’, 22’ Whalers

Glad to hear that area is producing this year. It’s 40-50’ at high tide. Was so poor last year that the charter didn’t even go there. I did well there the year before with 70, 80. An Anchorage man had a 400 a few years back.

Last edited:

Billy L

AK halibut charter captain
Jul 4, 2009
San Diego and AK
Name
Billy
Boat
25’, 22’ Whalers
Glad to here that area is producing this year. It’s 40-50’ at high tide. Was so poor last year that the charter didn’t even go there. I did well there the year before with 70, 80. An Anchorage man had a 400 a few years back.
Also for me, 200+ Deserves only photos and videos and will be let go. Of course unless there’s a derby ticket on the boat

michael e. bingham

May 26, 2015
Name
Pura Vida
Boat
Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga

Thanks, Bill
Josh Brooks on the Huntress great guy and awsome fisherman , im going august 17th for 12 days and im doing a 4 day trip to blue fox bay with Josh 907 399 82008 good luck

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
ALBUQUERQUE
Name
Nicholas Bronson
Boat
themodcatfish
Josh Brooks on the Huntress great guy and awsome fisherman , im going august 17th for 12 days and im doing a 4 day trip to blue fox bay with Josh 907 399 82008 good luck
Man, that could produce some serious fish. Is Josh staying there with you (on boat or in cabin)? And then you're fishing each day? I always wanted to do an overnight charter to Shuyak when I lived in Anchorage, never could get anyone else to commit.

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
Looks like Alaska will be opening Friday. I wonder if Yakutat will open as well? I have a trip planned in September.