First time fishing Alaska

Rikitiki87

Aug 3, 2019
Garden grove
Name
Enrique
Boat
20” Center console
Getting ready to plan a trip to Alaska this summer, leaning toward Ketchikan. Looking for some information/tips recommendations. Want to fish two days at least. Go for Halibut one day and chase King Salmon the second. Any information would be appreciated. Looking for a charter or guide

Last edited:

BirdDawg!

Jun 21, 2019
Home
Name
Nope
Boat
Yup
Be sure to research timing for kings. I did a SE Lodge trip a few years ago with expectations on catching kings, there were tons of pics of them on their site only find out we were a month late and no kings around.

Reactions: Rikitiki87

palgsw

Jul 24, 2008
la ca
Name
sherman
Boat
none
Getting ready to plan a trip to Alaska this summer, leaning toward Ketchikan. Looking for some information/tips recommendations. Want to fish two days at least. Go for Halibut one day and chase King Salmon the second. Any information would be appreciated. Looking for a charter or guide

AKSalmon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
King salmon fishing in all of SE Alaska has been very slow or closed for the last few years. You might consider going to Homer or Seward, or at the very least, call your lodge in Ketchikan and see what they say.

palgsw

Jul 24, 2008
la ca
Name
sherman
Boat
none
If you're flying into Anchorage, the drive from Anchorage to Kenai is spectacular. For chasing the kings on the Kenai, need to time your trip to the May run or July/August run, be ready for trolling, trolling, trolling and maybe catching. For Halibut, find an operator that launches off the beach in Deep Creek. Even if you don't find a barn door, a beach launch is a unique experience. Alternative to Deep Creek for halibut is a bit further drive up the road to Homer. Many halibut operations out of Homer.

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Almud
Boat
Wish I Had One
There are a few good lodges about 45 minutes west of Juneau by float plane in Pelican and Elfin Cove. Kings normally available in May to June.