surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I made an opportunity to introduce several nice neighborhood girls to the sport of fishing, an ongoing project to get new people into the sport. Meeting at my house at 5:30am for pastries and hot cocoa, we were off to Newport Bay to rent a 14' skiff from the Pavilion, the best way I've found to get young people started in the ocean.

It only took a few minutes to load up and head out once we reached the Pavilion for our 7am rental, and I started them taking turns learning how to handle a tiller outboard as we motored up to the bait barge at the mouth of the bay and I bought a batch of pinhead anchovies. The light spin gear was set up with four pound line, eight pound fluorocarbon leaders to #6 hooks, and it was going to be too hard for them to flyline in the full-moon tidal surge so I added quarter-ounce weights to help them stay down closer to the bottom.

Within only ten minutes we started catching fish, and I was pleased that it worked out pretty evenly among the three girls. One would hook something, a small calico or spotted bay bass or short halibut, and either it would be gotten to the boat or it would escape (lots of slack line in their excitement and inexperience) and pictures would be taken and re-baiting would take place. I never caught a fish all morning, I was pretty busy untangling and putting on new hooks when a small fish needed to be cut-off and handling the net and measuring a couple of nice fish that came close, a 13 inch fat calico and a halibut that was just a bit short of legal, as well as the usual small stuff. A can of mackerel in the foot of a nylon hanging over the side put out a decent slick and some mackerel showed up, and they were fun because they would actually pull hard on the light gear (and I didn't have the drags tight, I wanted them to get the experience of using the rod to lift the fish and then taking a turn as they lowered the tip.)

There were lots of nice things to see, the girls caught a cormorant and a seagull and I showed them how to free them without getting pinched by a beak. A couple of sea lions came by to see if we had anything worth hijacking, and I wondered if they would eat our anchovies but they were after better fish I guess. Snacks and drinks were consumed, smart phones took lots of pictures that are now on various parts of social media, and on the way back to the Pavilion we still had at least a hundred anchovies in the bait tank so I showed them the fun of tossing anchovies into the air so that seagulls would swoop and catch them, so that made the trip back to the dock pass quickly.

All in all, a beautiful day on the water, and now there are three young ladies from three different neighboring households who will be talking to their dads about taking them fishing in the near future.

P8190001.JPG P8190002.JPG P8190003.JPG P8190004.JPG P8190005.JPG P8190006.JPG

Upvote 0

John S.

Aug 4, 2008
    Valley Center, CA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A
    Nice report. They look like they had a lot of fun. It is really important to develop the next generation of outdoors men and women. Junior Hunting and youth fishing programs are so important. Yet, individual efforts like yours are just as important. We already have enough Video gamers out there.

John

Reactions: surfgoose
    Upvote 0

polfishski

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 5, 2008
    Descanso
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    20 SkipJack (Tail Chaser)
    Looks like they had an awesome time, caught fish and no one got sick. Hard to beat a first trip like that.

Upvote 0

AndyJ

Undocumented "Member"
    May 8, 2008
    Dana Point CA
    Name
    Andy Jakubas
    Boat
    1984 Cobalt DV 18.5
    Awesome great job. Reminds me of when my wife and I took some of our daughter's friends fishing out of Long Beach on our 18 ft Cobalt. They all had a blast and caught fish. We need to pass down this passion for fishing to future generations.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

robaire

Angler
    Jul 22, 2013
    Menifee, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    n/a
    One of the most pleasurable reports I have read on this site.
    The Los Angeles Rod & Reel Club does an inner city kids trip once a year.
    I was invited to help one year and the looks on the kids faces are just priceless. :-)
    Thanks for sharing,
    Robert

Upvote 0

909MARIO

Jun 30, 2011
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Name
    Mario
    Boat
    Homeless
    I made an opportunity to introduce several nice neighborhood girls to the sport of fishing, an ongoing project to get new people into the sport. Meeting at my house at 5:30am for pastries and hot cocoa, we were off to Newport Bay to rent a 14' skiff from the Pavilion, the best way I've found to get young people started in the ocean.

It only took a few minutes to load up and head out once we reached the Pavilion for our 7am rental, and I started them taking turns learning how to handle a tiller outboard as we motored up to the bait barge at the mouth of the bay and I bought a batch of pinhead anchovies. The light spin gear was set up with four pound line, eight pound fluorocarbon leaders to #6 hooks, and it was going to be too hard for them to flyline in the full-moon tidal surge so I added quarter-ounce weights to help them stay down closer to the bottom.

Within only ten minutes we started catching fish, and I was pleased that it worked out pretty evenly among the three girls. One would hook something, a small calico or spotted bay bass or short halibut, and either it would be gotten to the boat or it would escape (lots of slack line in their excitement and inexperience) and pictures would be taken and re-baiting would take place. I never caught a fish all morning, I was pretty busy untangling and putting on new hooks when a small fish needed to be cut-off and handling the net and measuring a couple of nice fish that came close, a 13 inch fat calico and a halibut that was just a bit short of legal, as well as the usual small stuff. A can of mackerel in the foot of a nylon hanging over the side put out a decent slick and some mackerel showed up, and they were fun because they would actually pull hard on the light gear (and I didn't have the drags tight, I wanted them to get the experience of using the rod to lift the fish and then taking a turn as they lowered the tip.)

There were lots of nice things to see, the girls caught a cormorant and a seagull and I showed them how to free them without getting pinched by a beak. A couple of sea lions came by to see if we had anything worth hijacking, and I wondered if they would eat our anchovies but they were after better fish I guess. Snacks and drinks were consumed, smart phones took lots of pictures that are now on various parts of social media, and on the way back to the Pavilion we still had at least a hundred anchovies in the bait tank so I showed them the fun of tossing anchovies into the air so that seagulls would swoop and catch them, so that made the trip back to the dock pass quickly.

All in all, a beautiful day on the water, and now there are three young ladies from three different neighboring households who will be talking to their dads about taking them fishing in the near future.

View attachment 783885 View attachment 783886 View attachment 783887 View attachment 783888 View attachment 783889 View attachment 783890
    I love reports like this

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 21, 2010
    hemet/ca/riverside
    Name
    SCOTT
    Boat
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    good for you! paying it forward and making a positive impact on other peoples lives! i have always wondered about doing something like this, but i'm afraid of something bad happening, or some kid saying i touched them or similar. i know it sounds weird but i know of a guy that got accused of some nasty stuff and spent time in jail til it got sorted out. he was innocent, as the girl eventually admitted that she made up those accusations as a act of revenge. so how do you protect yourself from the negatives??? once i figure it out i would love to do something like this.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Kindafishy -- Oh yeah, you have to be very careful in dealing with kids. You have to get the parents' approval of the activity, and you should make sure that kids from two or three families are involved, and my personal decision is to only involve daytime activities. I would be unwilling to be a Scoutmaster or other youth leader that would involve overnight trips. God bless them, I'm glad that there are men and women who get involved in those types of youth programs, but I am not going to be that guy. And I also want the boy or girl to be at least ten years old, because kids younger than that are not going to get as much benefit from the activity as the potential for problems that may arise.

But overall, it is a real pleasure and a lot of fun to introduce kids to the outdoors, and I'm glad that a fair number of sportsmen are looking for opportunities to take the initiative. Much more happens than is reported on a Bloody Decks Forum.

Upvote 0