Light weight baby!
  • Apr 17, 2013
    Brea
    Name
    grant
    Boat
    Parker 1801
    Hello,

First time buying a boat. Looking at a very clean parker 1801 this weekend. Has under 200 hours and looks clean. The owner offered a sea trial this weekend.

My question is, is surveying in addition to a sea trial a must? I just read somewhere that insurance won't cover used boats that weren't surveyed.

Is this true?

Thanks,

Grant

Reactions: spize909
    Upvote 0

simmo13

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Nov 12, 2010
    Lb inshore
    Name
    Simmo
    Boat
    19’ baja bayrunner!!!!!
    Doubt that claim of boats not having a survey cant get insurance.
    A parker 18’ can be surveyed by you when u do sea trial. In the deck check for any soft spots. Look at hull closely prior to or after launching. A parker with 200 hours within 20 years should be fine. But ya never know.

Reactions: repo805 and ysmoose
    Upvote 0

mike mitchell

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 25, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Michael Mitchell
    Boat
    20 Bertram
    Insurance should not matter. However a loan will be different. That being said if the boat turns out to be a POS can you afford to piss that money away? The seller may not be aware of the problems. Get the survey done.

Reactions: ysmoose
    Upvote 0

Plus One

Coming along...
    Aug 24, 2011
    Hemet
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Plus One
    We just purchased a used boat three weeks ago. There are no issues with financing, or insuring, a used boat that was purchased without a survey. That word was never even mentioned by the insurance company or lender.

Financing a used boat can be a challenge if the boat is priced above the NADA Guide value.

Reactions: repo805 and ysmoose
    Upvote 0

ysmoose

Light weight baby!
  • Apr 17, 2013
    Brea
    Name
    grant
    Boat
    Parker 1801
    We just purchased a used boat three weeks ago. There are no issues with financing, or insuring, a used boat that was purchased without a survey. That word was never even mentioned by the insurance company or lender.

Financing a used boat can be a challenge if the boat is priced above the NADA Guide value.
    Thank you for that information. Did you have the boat surveyed?

Reactions: Plus One
    Upvote 0

Plus One

Coming along...
    Aug 24, 2011
    Hemet
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Plus One
    We did not. Sea trial and lots of looking in, around, and under everything looking for any signs of a problem. Everything checked out and I towed it 2,152 miles home to CA from Alabama.

7B10ACDA-A4EA-47EB-8554-C16F8C58C5BC.jpeg

Upvote 0

ysmoose

Light weight baby!
  • Apr 17, 2013
    Brea
    Name
    grant
    Boat
    Parker 1801
    Reactions: Plus One
    Upvote 0

split172

Aug 3, 2015
    Orange County
    Name
    One More
    Boat
    Steiger Craft 25
    Be very methodical on you sea trial. Flip every switch and make sure the item functions properly. Open up hatches and look around. Look for cracks, soft spots, discoloring of holes drilled into transom (water seepage), smell for strong odor of fuel. How old is fuel tank? I didn’t see a year mentioned, I am assuming either a near new boat or repower. Definitely do a compression check. Look it up on you tube, it’s simple and cheap tool can get from Harbor Fteight or auto parts store. Ask for maintenance log/history. When was impeller changed? Lower unit gear lube changed? Being super anal, can even drain the lower unit gear lube and make sure it’s not contaminated with water intrusion.
    No matter how perfect it may seem, plan to spend some money for maintenance and unforeseen issues.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ysmoose

Light weight baby!
  • Apr 17, 2013
    Brea
    Name
    grant
    Boat
    Parker 1801
    Where's it at? I'm doing an inspection in San Diego tomorrow, if it's close I can swing by and check it out for you
    Thank you so much, its near mission bay near sea world. I will be seeing the boat around noon.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    At least on bigger boats, insurance companies definitely want a survey before they write the policy (but generally not on renewals). And they condition coverage on you fixing everything safety related (double hose clamps everywhere underwater, no plastic fittings below the waterline, etc.) that the surveyor noted (and sometimes they add their own requirements -- like mine wanted 3 anchors on board).

Upvote 0