First stupid question of the year!!

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by r8rs4lf, Jan 7, 2019.

1. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    The number on the package is the nominal strength of the line. Much like how the cross section of a 2x4 doesn't measure 2" x 4" or how 1" pipe varies slightly in diameter, but is designed to be able to be interused with different manufacturers fixtures and not create fitting problems. The manufacturer determines the rating on the package by whatever applications they think will best match up with that line product in terms of diameter and actual strength. This is a much stupider way than the PE system which standardizes diameter and then provides ABS for each product, but the American consumer is by and large too stupid to figure this out. The strength-to-diameter ratio of braid is so high that as the thickness changes along the length the strength also changes significantly, and is much more prone to significant strength reductions in defects. Higher quality line can/does translate into stronger line on the whole for a given diameter when production is tightly controlled. The trade-off is generally process cost and cost from losses of rejected product.

kayakbeast33, surfgoose and r8rs4lf like this.
  2. 4v1df12h1ng

4v1df12h1ng Sensei

Name:
    Who
    Boat:
    yes pls
    GOOGLE AND YOUTUBE is your friend. I digress...

But then again 65# could also mean the 65th spool of line made for the year. :imdumb:

3. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Back in December 2014 SPORTFISHING magazine had an excellent article on line strength. Mono, fluoro and braid lines were tested on a calibrated Instron 5543 machine at the IGFA headquarters. Mono lines were tested after being soaked for two hours to saturate them, per IGFA standards, because dry line tests higher.

Both Dyneema and Spectra braided lines were tested, 36 brands in all. Forty-six different mono brands and nineteen fluorocarbon brands were tested.

The line diameters varied a small bit between different brands at the same listed strength, as did the small percentage of stretch. Listed as "30#" strength braid, the breaking strength varied from 26.5# all the way up to 66.8# with the only two brands breaking at slightly less than 30#, all of the others from 33.5# up to the high 60's. Commonly used by me, Power Pro 30#-rated braids broke between 45 and 49 pounds for three different types of Power Pro.

Forty-six mono lines rated "30#" were tested. Only three broke slightly under 30#, all of the rest tested higher, up to 48#. Nineteen fluorocarbon brands were tested, and two broke slightly under the "30#" rating, and all of the others were higher, up to 49#.

Rodless_Jim and Eric have it right. The number on the line, of any type, is basically an indicator of the minimum strength, not the maximum strength.

4. gecsr1

gecsr1 28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
    I guess you get really STUPID when you are a raiders fan....

RideHPD likes this.
  5. clevel

clevel Captain in Learning

Name:
    Cabo Jack
    Boat:
    Cobia 261
    Brutally funny!

6. kenstevens1

kenstevens1 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ken
    Boat:
    none
    Just dont bounce a fish over the rail that weighs more than 65lbs

7. 2tuna

2tuna Member

Name:
    Craig H
    Boat:
    le barge
    Between this thread, and the first couple of responses to 'Bodies in the Cockpit', my faith in BD has been restored. Yay!

big buddy likes this.
  8. Tim_A

Tim_A Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    stella rose
    I bought 100lb maxcuatro for my talica25ii. The smaller diameter means more yards on spool.
    As far as strength it might be true , Power Pro standard braid 100lb , may break at higher levels than Maxcuatro 100 lb. An apples to apple comparison of similar weave 4 threads to 4 threads .
    It is unfair to compare 4 threaded weave to 8 weave.
    Any one know how much maxcuatro 100lb can fit on talica25ii

9. RideHPD

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    Depending on how close you get to the rim, +/- 750y.

10. Tim_A

Tim_A Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    stella rose
    Well after installing I obtained 900 yards of 100lb maxcuatro on my talica 25ii. For sum it may be argued to much, but still allows a short flourocarbon top shot . It means care must be taken casting and avoiding bird nests . I put magnets on cnc housing to prevent backlash. Answering my own question, for FYI ..

11. RideHPD

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    For real? That's pretty hard to believe; I have a 20 with 500y of MC backing under my hollow, and there's room for prob another 150 but the 25 isn't that much bigger.

12. Tim_A

Tim_A Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    stella rose
    Well it was professional install under pressure from tackle store, When I tried with myself with leather gloves maybe I could install about 750 yards, but using a professional spool under tension to reel at tackle store it counted 900 yards . The tackle store only charged me $20 to professionally wind MC onto my talica 25 . Having this equipment really makes a difference. I could not install it that tight even using leather gloves.

13. RideHPD

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    Oh absolutely, mine is as well under 10-12lbs of tension. Not saying I don't trust your word, I'm just still not visualizing how that much line gets on there.

14. Tim_A

Tim_A Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    stella rose
    I took a 1500 yard spool of 100 lb new Maxcuatro,
    and told him to fill it to top leaving very little room on short side of spool . Maybe 0.075 left. I also modified Talica25ii with magnet on left side on CNC block for zero backlash during casting. My topshot will be short maybe 75 feet 80 lb flourocarbon. I have also Cal modified low gear to 1.6 ratio with stainless gears that are 3 times stronger than original 2.3 ratio gear. This is a real BFT reel now

15. r8rs4lf

r8rs4lf I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Salty AF
    Is the Talica 25 equivalent to a Mak16?

16. Tim_A

Tim_A Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    stella rose
    The difference is I used Maxcuatro 100 lb on entire spool as opposed to combination of hollow + Maxcuatro . Also I tended to fill within 0.075 inch of short side of spool. I agree the difference between Talica 20 and 25 should not be that great . So trying to be more honest with you .

17. Tim_A

Tim_A Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    stella rose
    If it helps I can upload file with picture of spool.

18. Tim_A

Tim_A Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    stella rose
    I really do not know , I have only seen the Mak 30SE which is larger than Talica25

19. richardblufin

richardblufin Member

Name:
    Richard Jones
    Boat:
    Bigger is Better Thats what she said
    The

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    jer dog likes this.
  20. Tim_A

Tim_A Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    stella rose
    I looked at Mak16 and its impressive, it comes down to personnel preference. Buy what you like , not hype as it's your money . Good Fishing to all, I still use my Penn 10/0 for BFT , so use what you like and you will be happy.