r8rs4lf

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
What exactly does the number (example: 65#) mean on braid?

I've never really thought about it and for some reason I did while driving today because I recently purchased a like new Trinidad 20a with 50# braid and was going to change it out for 65# to fish 40# on a jig stick. Not only that, but from my experience, some people do some weird shit with their braid and I don't want to depend on their 3 knots, 3 color, 3 different pound spool of braid.

Does it mean it will break with a 65# fish?

Does it mean it can handle up to 65# of drag?

What exactly does it mean?

Upvote 0

simmo13

Nov 12, 2010
Lb inshore
Name
Simmo
Boat
19’ baja bayrunner!!!!!
If this isnt a joke the 65 means its 65 pound braid. 50# is 50 pound braid. The # sign means “pound” of test the line is.

Reactions: geebee
Upvote 0

Highwayman

• Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    I believe 65# spectra is supposed to break at 65# of pull. Like lifting 65# of weight. A 65 lb fish in the water is different you are fighting it propulsion through the water with is floating body weight a factor. That said if you research the different spectra manufacturing breaking strength they may be higher than listed. Any IGFA line breaks at or below the listed strength. I may be wrong.

Reactions: mcrae and r8rs4lf
    Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 27, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    #65 means its ABS is supposed to be 65lbs. Now in reality most "normal" 65lb braid actually breaks between 80-100lb. That is why braids like maxcuatro can tell you they are thinner 65, what it really means in my estimation is it actually just less material and breaks closer to its ABS than the thicker braid.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Good question. A option out of many.

Dump the 50# solid onto a empty spool. While being aware of bad spots. Re use

Pack the TN20 tight with 65lb soild for 40-50lb top shot surface iron

65lb solid spectra wears out slower and will give you more fishing time mileage then 50lb solid, with a decrease in chance of wind knot. 65lb solid has less hang time then 50lb solid. With close to same feel and capacity with added wear and tear protection. Connect 50lb top shot to 65lb spectra is a appropriate match. Upper end

I packed a torium 20 with 50lb solid when they first came out.. Felt weak just fishing cod if the spectra got into a scuffle. Yoyo yt wanting 65lb solid over 50lb solid, for sure

Re packed tor 20 with 65lb solid. Better all around

Packed a tn30 with 65lb solid for wahoo. A 170lb yft came aboard

Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
    Mexico, DF, Mexico
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Strictly a Rider
    I believe 65# spectra is supposed to break at 65# of pull.

Not exactly, but close. What test means is that the line will not break until you put at least that amount of strain on it. 65# test typically won't break until you put...what?...90lbs of strain on the line. But the manufacturer is essentially guaranteeing that the line will handle 65lbs of strain. It will, in fact, handle more, but they aren't promising how much more.

All iof this applies to dead weight pull, but I ain't going there.

Reactions: surfgoose
    Upvote 0

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
    Aug 14, 2016
    Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
    Name
    Eric Marin
    Boat
    10' Model T
    The number on the package is the nominal strength of the line. Much like how the cross section of a 2x4 doesn't measure 2" x 4" or how 1" pipe varies slightly in diameter, but is designed to be able to be interused with different manufacturers fixtures and not create fitting problems. The manufacturer determines the rating on the package by whatever applications they think will best match up with that line product in terms of diameter and actual strength. This is a much stupider way than the PE system which standardizes diameter and then provides ABS for each product, but the American consumer is by and large too stupid to figure this out. The strength-to-diameter ratio of braid is so high that as the thickness changes along the length the strength also changes significantly, and is much more prone to significant strength reductions in defects. Higher quality line can/does translate into stronger line on the whole for a given diameter when production is tightly controlled. The trade-off is generally process cost and cost from losses of rejected product.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Back in December 2014 SPORTFISHING magazine had an excellent article on line strength. Mono, fluoro and braid lines were tested on a calibrated Instron 5543 machine at the IGFA headquarters. Mono lines were tested after being soaked for two hours to saturate them, per IGFA standards, because dry line tests higher.

Both Dyneema and Spectra braided lines were tested, 36 brands in all. Forty-six different mono brands and nineteen fluorocarbon brands were tested.

The line diameters varied a small bit between different brands at the same listed strength, as did the small percentage of stretch. Listed as "30#" strength braid, the breaking strength varied from 26.5# all the way up to 66.8# with the only two brands breaking at slightly less than 30#, all of the others from 33.5# up to the high 60's. Commonly used by me, Power Pro 30#-rated braids broke between 45 and 49 pounds for three different types of Power Pro.

Forty-six mono lines rated "30#" were tested. Only three broke slightly under 30#, all of the rest tested higher, up to 48#. Nineteen fluorocarbon brands were tested, and two broke slightly under the "30#" rating, and all of the others were higher, up to 49#.

Rodless_Jim and Eric have it right. The number on the line, of any type, is basically an indicator of the minimum strength, not the maximum strength.

Upvote 0