First Solo and First Donkey!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Blue Ice, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Blue Ice

Blue Ice Newbie

Name:
    Big B
    Boat:
    2670 Glacier Bay "Maddie Girl"
    Well I've been hearing about all the marlin action the past two weeks and decided I wanted to try for one Sunday morning. All the post saying strawberry head, blue-pink skirt so I brought 3 of them and one green for the mahi. Since I had no fishing partner that could make it this week and since most of the marlin reports are smaller kine should be manageable right? Left Waianae harbor at about 7am and headed out towards the pinnacle...got out to S bouy and found a bird pile but no one home so kept heading out. At about 14 miles decide to head south west until I got to 19 miles out...once I got there I decide to plot a course towards BO bouy. At this point its about 9am and I'm thinking.....man I hope I can catch a small kine marlin maybe 150 to 250 size like everyone else this week...that would be sweet!

At about 9:30am I took a strike on the starboard outrigger and it was one mean strike. I have'nt taken many strikes on my boat this year but this one had the 14/0 smoking (and I mean I saw smoke coming from it) and the line was peeling off at an incredible rate almost to the spool before I got all the lines cleared and put the boat in reverse. So while sitting on the back of my makeshift seat/cooler I was able to both drive the boat and retrieve about 150 yards of line. At this point I still did'nt know what was on the line....after the initial run the fish sounded and never came up so I actually thought I might have an Ahi even though my past lessons from my friends should have made me think otherwise. At this point I'm retrieving line in at a great rate even noticing the fish was now in front of the boat....that seemed to point towards a possible marlin but still no surface action.

So since the story was pretty boring to this point I decided to make it more interesting and let one of my lure leaders slip out the back self bailing hole and all of a sudden the port engine goes dead and I looked over and immediately recognized the line was tangled around the prop....Holly Crap are you kiddin me! So I said to myself theres no turning back now and continued to fight the fish for another two and a half hours using only my starboard honda 40.

During the next two hours I came close to leadering the fish several times but I was hesitant because I had no one to drive the boat and not let the leader get caught in the prop. at one point I almost gave up thinking wow I'll never get this fish to give. I remembered from my fishing friend and some other research in the past that alot of marlin fight until they die and so I decided I could probably outlast him and so after three hours and fifteen minutes the fish died and went belly up.

At this point I was worried about sharks being in the area already because of the long fight so I cautiously reached over the side and looped my mooring line around his tail and a wave came by and pushed the fish away from the boat while I was trying to secure him and I did'nt let go and as this happened I felt one of my left lower ribs actually crack against the gunnel of the boat....holy crap did it hurt but adrenaline pushed me thru it and I got the rope over his tail the second time. I turned around and started towing him back in at nineteen miles out.

On the way in I called my friend off the Uli Kai John and told him of the news and that the fish had to be at least 400lbs and he said if that was the case I was gonna need some help so he called a co-worker of his Shawn and he came down with his big brand new dodge ram truck and with several very helpful harbor folks helped to haul the fish out of the water. One guy says to me you wanna weigh him over at the side of the building and I said "SHOOTS".

Interestingly enough a lady also approached me and said she was from hawaii fishing news and she would like to take some photo's for octobers edition and wondered if I could add some details to this fish story and I said yes of course I would be delighted. Once we got the fish on the scale the scalemaster asked me to go get my crew for a photo and I told him I was the crew and he laughs at first :rofl: and then I guess he realized I was serious and then he proceeded with the weigh in and calls off 679.8lbs and I just remember being in disbelief about it at first.

I'm still not sure what happened today but I do know for sure today the big fish tried to pick on the solo fisherman and I also know for me it was one of the most special days of my life behind my two kid's births and so I hope tommorow after a good nights rest I can really think about this day and relish this moment.

Thanks to everyone on this site and in Hawaii for providing me invaluable info and advise over the past few years. Thanks to my fishing buddy Al Hayashi for teaching me the basics, my friend John off the Uli Kai for again dispatching the ninja stealth save my arse plan and everyone else who came out and helped fillet this DONKEY! :2gunsfiring_v1: Can't wait to see the article in hawaiian fishing news! Awright!

Hey Captdon....would'nt it have been sweet to catch this fish in the tournament a few weeks ago? Timing is everything I guess and a little luck helps too. When we gonna go rumble again? I'm ready!

Aloha,

Brian

Attached Files:

2. TOWNIE

TOWNIE Newbie

GOOD GOING ON THAT NICE FISH !!!!!!!

3. dausualinc

dausualinc Newbie

Name:
    Kekoa
    Boat:
    30' Knife
    That is the fish of a lifetime, enjoy the feeling and the memories. Congrats!

4. kamikaze1

kamikaze1 Newbie

Name:
    NakZ
    Boat:
    Kioko Maru
    Awesome job!! Congratulations on a monster fish.

5. Blue Ice

Blue Ice Newbie

Name:
    Big B
    Boat:
    2670 Glacier Bay "Maddie Girl"
    Thanks guys! Sorry for the hard to read write up....guess I should've waited until today after some rest. Yes I will enjoy this catch for a long time. I still cannot believe I caught this fish yesterday. So happy today. Guess I'll get to try my first smoked marlin soon.

Brian

6. Troy

Troy Under the Radar

Name:
    Troy
    Boat:
    Pez Loco
    Nice fish. Congrats on the solo style!

7. BNaks

BNaks Newbie

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    Baby Hawk
    Dude, that is a mean story and monster fish. I think it ate the 150lber you were looking for... Congrats.

8. AKUKILLA

AKUKILLA Newbie

Name:
    MIKE
    Boat:
    17' ALII KAI
    Congratulations !

9. nodrama

nodrama Newbie

Name:
    Ryan
    congratz Brian, nice fish and solo! awsome dude

10. millertime13

millertime13 Newbie

Thats a great catch by your self.I got 165lb solo a while ago and it was kicking my butt. aloha millertime

11. Uli Kai

Uli Kai Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Wellcraft Coastal 230
    F'ing right on Brian! That's the biggest one I know of done solo. What a great first marlin. You deserve it after all the hard work you've put into your boat and learning the lessons. I wish I could have been there.

12. I'a

I'a Newbie

Name:
    Hank
    Boat:
    24, skipjack,
    That is unreal! Congratulations! So you untangled the prop, and came home on 2 engines hopefully? Good Job and with broken ribs!

13. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Brian,
    What great story I certainly can feel your "stoke" all thru your write up. Way to go on your donkey, glad you didn't give up, how's the rib and how's the port engine. Great report...

Cheers
    Pat

14. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    simply AWESOME!!!! congrats on the the solo catch of a lifetime!!!

15. Kolina

Kolina Walt

Name:
    Walter T. Okuma Jr.
    Boat:
    25' Force COLLEEN
    Simply Awsome! I saw you lifting it out of the water at the hoist. that was a beast! I left and took my baby marlin home. Again Congradulations.

16. ALOHABIRD

ALOHABIRD Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    22+2 Grady White ShaniaRegina
    Congratulations landing that BEAST alone though there would have been alot of HIGH-FIVES on the boat that Day with a crew! Thats a Awesome catch! Way Da Go!

17. Pupule

Pupule Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    22 ft Islander
    Holy moly! What a monster! Congratulations, Brian!

(You must be pretty sore today.) ;)

18. JimmyK

JimmyK Fisherman wannabe

Name:
    JimmyK
    Boat:
    17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
    Brian, Good going and congrats! That's one fine trophy!

19. captdon1

captdon1 Newbie

Name:
    don
    Boat:
    33' kamicraft "KIMI ANN"
    Hey brian you gotta get it right, thats not one donkey...........micah boy said ''tell uncle thats DONKEY KONG'' Good going on your fish/trip awesome job .like i told you the fish no care what size or make/ color your boat is. when it's time to rumble:fighting0061: all hell breaks loose!! I think it was a very wise decision in tiring out that beast!! Again good going on your fish,and not to mention memories of a lifetime,well deserved.

aloha captdon

dis thursday!!..........?? let me know!

20. Uli Kai

Uli Kai Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Wellcraft Coastal 230
    Oh yeah Brian I forgot to say in my first post. Like Capt Don said very smart move on your part to fight the fish until it died. Safety is always got to be first when solo. Good job.