david shelton

Almost A Member
Oct 20, 2016
Nicaragua
Name
david shelton
Boat
Panga
I personally use the Komodo 471p for slow jigging. It works well, but you do need a new handle. Gears are bigger than the Trinidads so there's a lot of torque. Fished with it in depths up to 400ft at Colonet and had no issues bringing up fish. Biggest fish was a 8lb Mexican rockfish. I haven't used it for yellowtail while slow pitch jigging, bit I've used it to fish traditional irons and it cranks the yellowtail in.

So the stock power handle not long enough? Where did you get the longer handle?
cheers

Upvote 0

lazyfisherman

Nov 28, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Bobby
Boat
Cattle Boats
I used a Trinidad A handle and it was longer so I was able to get more torque. I have one of the first reels that came out with the knuckle buster power handles so I threw the old handle away and swapped it with the Tranx 500 handle. The Tranx handle was too short in my opinion so I swapped it with a Trinidad handle.

Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    The charter with the best price.
    if you're going to be in the market for a SPJ reel, you might want to wait until October-ish. . .

1IH6DOQ.png

Reactions: david shelton
    Upvote 0

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
    South Florida
    Name
    Benny Ortiz
    Boat
    Whatever one I'm on.
    They're rolled in China, using 30T and 40T Toray carbon.

Reactions: aztec23
    Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    So far this summer, the Fathom SPJ reels [and Battalion rods] have been doing well. The main issue has been getting anglers to give the concept a try.

Bluefin slow pitch 1 RESIZED.JPG

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
    Name
    Almud
    Boat
    Wish I Had One
    I have been very happy with an Avet MXJ Raptor on a Black Hole 6’2” two piece. Using 80g to 250g but mostly try to stay as light as possible. Great in Panama and Alaska. I am going to try a Temple Reef Innovator with a Komodo 471 in AK soon. Will also try a Black Hole spinning slp with Penn Slammer 5500.

Had fun with my Avet MXJ on the TR Innovater. Caught a bunch of Black rockfish and a couple of lingcod. Used the Black Hole spinning rod with coltsnipers and caught rockfish too. Both worked well.

I have an extra BH 6’6” slow pitch spinning rod for sale. I bought two but will only end up keeping one. $375 F2F sale. In classified section.

Upvote 0

shimano4life

West_coast_jiggerz
    Dec 29, 2012
    san gabriel
    Name
    hong
    Boat
    dont have
    Looking for a slow pitch setup for 50-200' depth possible 250'. Mostly will be in the 80-150' depth range though. It's a setup for occasional use so not keen to spend a whole lot of money. Trying to keep the combo cost under 500usd. Am in SW Nicaragua so similar species to Northern Costa Rica.
    Looking at an Avet G2 SXJ, Okuma Metaloid 5N or Penn Fathom equivalent...
    For rods I have looked at the OTI and Majorcraft as well as Daiwa and Shimano. Can't imagine the last two screwing up a slow jig rod. Not sure on rod action and jig weights for those depths to target bottom species....
    I'll be fishing from a private boat/panga.

EDIT : Would a 2500-4000 size spinner with a light jigging rod(penn carnage) still do the trick at these depths or should I definitely go ahead and invest in an overhead setup?
    Reel:
    Penn is coming out with fathom slow pitch reel. You can also look into pro gear.
    Rod. Too many out there.
    Shimano grappler j is a pretty nice rod.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
    Name
    Almud
    Boat
    Wish I Had One
    One added point, make sure the reel has strong drag to keep Cuberas or groupers out of the rocks. Lost numerous jigs and live bait when I did not stop them soon enough in Panama.

Upvote 0

SoCalEDC

Almost A Member
  • Apr 9, 2019
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Name
    AE
    Boat
    Fisha 500
    Not sure if you are already set up with a dedicated spj combo yet, but fwiw I picked up an accurate tern 300x back in July for spj, spooled it with 330 yds of the x8 j braid, and put it on a tsunami slow pitch rod (7' heavy). I didnt like the rod so I replaced with with a goofish (green model, 120-250g) after seeing a bunch of youtube personalities slaying with it. I like the goofish quite a bit, other than the ugly bright green blank lol. Idk if its toray carbon but it recoils nicely, and has plenty of power in the back bone despite feeling like a noodle. I really only used it for bottom fishing this season but I had some by catch that were pretty fun too i.e. big sand bass, barracuda that ate the jig on the fall, and a couple of decent halibut who ate the jig as I was useing the long fall method. I used it effectively from about 80 feet up to around 350' ft. I typically used jigs that were in the 200-230g range, but I like one particular "lighter" jig, the tady spj in 160g produced 1 halibut (the other was on a 230g nomad buffalo) and a bunch of good size rock fish.

You are in there for less than 500 bucks with that set up.

Upvote 0

chanvivek

Pop n Jig!
    Jul 11, 2020
    Chennai, India
    Name
    Chandrasekar Ravi
    Boat
    N/A
    Not sure if you are already set up with a dedicated spj combo yet, but fwiw I picked up an accurate tern 300x back in July for spj, spooled it with 330 yds of the x8 j braid, and put it on a tsunami slow pitch rod (7' heavy). I didnt like the rod so I replaced with with a goofish (green model, 120-250g) after seeing a bunch of youtube personalities slaying with it. I like the goofish quite a bit, other than the ugly bright green blank lol. Idk if its toray carbon but it recoils nicely, and has plenty of power in the back bone despite feeling like a noodle. I really only used it for bottom fishing this season but I had some by catch that were pretty fun too i.e. big sand bass, barracuda that ate the jig on the fall, and a couple of decent halibut who ate the jig as I was useing the long fall method. I used it effectively from about 80 feet up to around 350' ft. I typically used jigs that were in the 200-230g range, but I like one particular "lighter" jig, the tady spj in 160g produced 1 halibut (the other was on a 230g nomad buffalo) and a bunch of good size rock fish.

You are in there for less than 500 bucks with that set up.

thank you for taking time to reply to this thread. I got sorted and picked up an accurate valiant bv2-500N and temporarily paired it up with an ATC Vulcan slow pitch rod. The combo works and we landed a 50lb grouper on this combo and also played tug of war with a couple of doggies that we lost due to cut offs. I am currently looking for a second slow pitch rod and picked up a daiwa sea gate sj rod because it was locally available. But in time, I will want to pick up a nice premium rod and was looking at the temple reef levitate ti power 2.

Upvote 0

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
    Advertiser
    Feb 26, 2011
    Van Nuys, Ca USA
    bobsandsfishingtackle.com
    Name
    Jamie
    Boat
    #1 Tackle Shop
    For a under 200 dollar SPJ rod you guys might look at the Blackhole Charter special C-68/H3R.. It will cost just a bit more in a spinner or Acid wrap version but the conventional version will be just under 200 bucks and works great for appropriate weight jigs and proper line matchups.. These rods are by no means introductory rods rather they are priced right with slightly lesser cost accessories/guides than the wonderful Blackhole Cap Cod Jigging rods.

And yes, we have them in stock at this time though they sell out quickly.

Have a great season.

Jamie

Upvote 0

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
    Name
    Almud
    Boat
    Wish I Had One
    For a under 200 dollar SPJ rod you guys might look at the Blackhole Charter special C-68/H3R.. It will cost just a bit more in a spinner or Acid wrap version but the conventional version will be just under 200 bucks and works great for appropriate weight jigs and proper line matchups.. These rods are by no means introductory rods rather they are priced right with slightly lesser cost accessories/guides than the wonderful Blackhole Cap Cod Jigging rods.

And yes, we have them in stock at this time though they sell out quickly.

Have a great season.

Jamie

Caught a 140# halibut and numerous big ling cod on it at Icy Bay Lodge.

Reactions: Bob Sands
    Upvote 0

ksong

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 7, 2005
    NJ
    Name
    KIL SONG
    Boat
    NONE
    Black Hole USA introduced slow pitch jigging rods called 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch Jigging rods at reasonable price ($185).
    You can compare the rods with any high end rods.
    Here are catches with the rods.

Upvote 0