david shelton

Almost A Member
Oct 20, 2016
Nicaragua
Name
david shelton
Boat
Panga
Looking for a slow pitch setup for 50-200' depth possible 250'. Mostly will be in the 80-150' depth range though. It's a setup for occasional use so not keen to spend a whole lot of money. Trying to keep the combo cost under 500usd. Am in SW Nicaragua so similar species to Northern Costa Rica.
Looking at an Avet G2 SXJ, Okuma Metaloid 5N or Penn Fathom equivalent...
For rods I have looked at the OTI and Majorcraft as well as Daiwa and Shimano. Can't imagine the last two screwing up a slow jig rod. Not sure on rod action and jig weights for those depths to target bottom species....
I'll be fishing from a private boat/panga.

EDIT : Would a 2500-4000 size spinner with a light jigging rod(penn carnage) still do the trick at these depths or should I definitely go ahead and invest in an overhead setup?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    The charter with the best price.
    You can jig & catch fish with just about anything but I would look towards conventional over spinning. There are many advantages when it comes to fighting and presentation.

As for those reels, I'd prefer the Avet (*and would choose the narrow version*), was disappointed with an Okuma I owned, and Penn Fathom isn't jigging reel of choice in SPJ. I love Avets for their quality & ease of repair but not a top notch jigging reel, I went with Accurate 300 for slow pitch. Ultra light for hours of jigging without fatigue and all the drag you would need unless you're targeting big game.

I agree that Shimano & Daiwa should have this down, Shimano has some reasonably priced Grappler rods, Daiwa is slowly getting out their version at under $200, and Temple Reef is supposed to be coming out with an economy priced version.

This is a rapidly changing product market that we here in the USA are just catching onto, keep doing your research, there's a lot out there.

Upvote 0

david shelton

Almost A Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Nicaragua
    Name
    david shelton
    Boat
    Panga
    Thanks, good food for thought there. I watched a couple more videos etc since I posted this. I see now how a spinner is not ideal at all.
    Most of the time here I fish top water or (slow) troll but I think this method would be really good here on the slack tide. But all the marks we fish are pretty shallow. 80-200ft tops.
    So I don't want to make a huge investment nor do I care much about weight. I was considering a Fathom 25N single speed. I have a few other fathoms already and really like them. Maybe match that with an OTI, Daiwa or maybe a Penn slow pitch rod if that is a true slow pitch rod and not just a re-badged wannabe. Looks like Penn's new SPJ reels are a bit off speed-wise for SPJ apart from the 15 narrow 2 speed so it makes me leery about the rods. Or is a slow speed reel better for long fall style?

Reactions: rubberneck-man
    Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
  • Mar 20, 2008
    Carmel, CA
    Name
    john
    Boat
    not crazy enough yet
    Fishing the jig is fine with a spinner, catching not so much.

For a light setup get an Okuma Komodo 471P...cranking power and line lay taken care of, will double duty as a light popping reel.

2 cents.

Have fun.

Upvote 0

david shelton

Almost A Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Nicaragua
    Name
    david shelton
    Boat
    Panga
    Fishing the jig is fine with a spinner, catching not so much.

For a light setup get an Okuma Komodo 471P...cranking power and line lay taken care of, will double duty as a light popping reel.

2 cents.

Have fun.

Thanks, I will check that reel out. Seems like with spinners doing SPJ it's much harder to stay in close contact with the jig on the drop and hard to make the jig drop vertical on the initial drop too etc as well as the fighting part.

Upvote 0

david shelton

Almost A Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Nicaragua
    Name
    david shelton
    Boat
    Panga
    Jig weight and target size?

Not really sure on jig weight as I am a newbie but, at a guess, I would say 80-250gr. Perhaps 350gr max....
    Species-wise the usual central american bottom dwellers like in far Northern Costa Rica. Snapper and Grouper species to 30lbs possible and there are Cubera in these waters....

Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
  • Mar 20, 2008
    Carmel, CA
    Name
    john
    Boat
    not crazy enough yet
    No, a spinner actually gets a jig deeper and faster than a conventional reel as it doesn't have to spin the spool to drop the lure. Working the jig is brilliant with a spinner too, as you don't have to lay line at the same time and can play with erratic retrieves so always ideal for "fishing".

But the lack of cranking power with fish straight below you is pretty penal so conventional is gonna be ideal for "catching".

A LP reel like the Komodo 471P has the cranking power and the line lay plus a great drag. I would think pretty ideal for slow pitch but I have only used them for regular jigging iron on a regular vertical jigging rod plus popping.

Using it for double duty popping is a gas.

Upvote 0

lazyfisherman

Nov 28, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Bobby
    Boat
    Cattle Boats
    No, a spinner actually gets a jig deeper and faster than a conventional reel as it doesn't have to spin the spool to drop the lure. Working the jig is brilliant with a spinner too, as you don't have to lay line at the same time and can play with erratic retrieves so always ideal for "fishing".

But the lack of cranking power with fish straight below you is pretty penal so conventional is gonna be ideal for "catching".

A LP reel like the Komodo 471P has the cranking power and the line lay plus a great drag. I would think pretty ideal for slow pitch but I have only used them for regular jigging iron on a regular vertical jigging rod plus popping.

I personally use the Komodo 471p for slow jigging. It works well, but you do need a new handle. Gears are bigger than the Trinidads so there's a lot of torque. Fished with it in depths up to 400ft at Colonet and had no issues bringing up fish. Biggest fish was a 8lb Mexican rockfish. I haven't used it for yellowtail while slow pitch jigging, bit I've used it to fish traditional irons and it cranks the yellowtail in.

Upvote 0

david shelton

Almost A Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Nicaragua
    Name
    david shelton
    Boat
    Panga
    Ok, so it's down to the Avet SXJ G2 or MXJ G2 (30" vs 38" per crank) or go baitcaster with a Komodo 471P or Tranx 301AHG size....
    EDT ; What's wrong with a Penn Fathom 25N for SPJ?
    Still reading up on rods...

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

david shelton

Almost A Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Nicaragua
    Name
    david shelton
    Boat
    Panga

Aren't you referring to mechanical jigging with vertical/butterfly jigs? I have found out first hand that the flat fall jigs I have flutter down all the way with a spinner and take too long to get to the bottom. With a conventional or baitcaster apparently(mentioned on this forum and 360Tuna plus TR Benny's seminar) I could thumb the spool slightly on the way down to make it drop more vertically and so faster with less effect from drift and current so I don't miss the mark.
    Checked the tackleadvisors's review of the Komodo and it sounds great for SPJ.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    The charter with the best price.
    Aren't you referring to mechanical jigging with vertical/butterfly jigs? I have found out first hand that the flat fall jigs I have flutter down all the way with a spinner and take too long to get to the bottom. With a conventional or baitcaster apparently(mentioned on this forum and 360Tuna plus TR Benny's seminar) I could thumb the spool slightly on the way down to make it drop more vertically and so faster with less effect from drift and current so I don't miss the mark.
    Checked the tackleadvisors's review of the Komodo and it sounds great for SPJ.

You're exactly correct on this, spinning reels are NOT a good choice at all. As for the Komodo, I started out trying to make SPJ happen with my Lexa, and although it get's the job done, low profile reels don't have the torque to drag fish up from the depths when you're using the reel and not the rod to fight them.

Now Penn has been making great reels for a long time but none are really considered top notch jigging reels, you don't see them in SPJ applications and it's probably for a reason, and I don't think they are going to get up to speed overnight with their upcoming SPJ line.

Like I said B4, I love my Avets but I would really look around at Accurate, Daiwa, & Shimano reels that are staples of the SPJ game. Just my 2 cents on it.

Upvote 0

david shelton

Almost A Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Nicaragua
    Name
    david shelton
    Boat
    Panga
    Thanks for all the feed back guys, I think I am going to go with the Komodo 741P as my begginer light setup. I'm used to using spinners all the time except when trolling so that should be an easier transition with the levelwind etc
    One day, I'll get that accurate!
    This video gave me some inspiration to give a baitcaster a go to start out with. His previous reel for SPJ was an Abu Revo Toro Beast :D

Slow Jigging Panama Cubera Snapper

Colorado Snapper SPJ Panama

Upvote 0

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
    Name
    Almud
    Boat
    Wish I Had One
    I have been very happy with an Avet MXJ Raptor on a Black Hole 6’2” two piece. Using 80g to 250g but mostly try to stay as light as possible. Great in Panama and Alaska. I am going to try a Temple Reef Innovator with a Komodo 471 in AK soon. Will also try a Black Hole spinning slp with Penn Slammer 5500.

Reactions: david shelton
    Upvote 0

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
    South Florida
    Name
    Benny Ortiz
    Boat
    Whatever one I'm on.
    Thanks for all the feed back guys, I think I am going to go with the Komodo 741P as my begginer light setup. I'm used to using spinners all the time except when trolling so that should be an easier transition with the levelwind etc
    One day, I'll get that accurate!
    This video gave me some inspiration to give a baitcaster a go to start out with. His previous reel for SPJ was an Abu Revo Toro Beast :D

Slow Jigging Panama Cubera Snapper

Colorado Snapper SPJ Panama
    Pierre really loves the Abu Beast and has had great success with it as his go-to. To each his own. If you do go with a baitcaster, make sure that it is a synchronized level wind.

I would steer clear of an Avet for this application. Their handles are prohibitively short, they have that stupid "live bait" setting on the lever drag which is super fun to cast with and then realize your reel is in gear, and they have (unless corrected recently) more handle slop than is reasonable. I'm not saying they don't have their place, but SPJ is not it.

Lastly, the comment regarding a spinning set up falling faster is incorrect. It has nothing to do with the spool spinning or not, but rather everything to do with controlling the fall of the jig. The jig needs to be kept in a vertical position to fall quickly. Without resistance on the line by thumbing the spool you cannot achieve this correctly.

Upvote 0

david shelton

Almost A Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Nicaragua
    Name
    david shelton
    Boat
    Panga
    Pierre really loves the Abu Beast and has had great success with it as his go-to. To each his own. If you do go with a baitcaster, make sure that it is a synchronized level wind.

I would steer clear of an Avet for this application. Their handles are prohibitively short, they have that stupid "live bait" setting on the lever drag which is super fun to cast with and then realize your reel is in gear, and they have (unless corrected recently) more handle slop than is reasonable. I'm not saying they don't have their place, but SPJ is not it.

Lastly, the comment regarding a spinning set up falling faster is incorrect. It has nothing to do with the spool spinning or not, but rather everything to do with controlling the fall of the jig. The jig needs to be kept in a vertical position to fall quickly. Without resistance on the line by thumbing the spool you cannot achieve this correctly.

Thanks for chiming in, much appreciated. What would be your preferred Accurate reel for this shallow water scenario in Central America?

Upvote 0

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
    South Florida
    Name
    Benny Ortiz
    Boat
    Whatever one I'm on.
    I would fish the Valiant 500n personally. I think it gives you the flexibility to get out deep if you can, and is so light that it doesn't matter you're shallow. You certainly would not need the line capacity in shallow, but as you grow with your technique you will undoubtedly want to explore deeper water. The Valiant 300 is also a great option in an even smaller package, but that will limit your exploration to 350ish feet. The issue with the 300 is that the stock arm is too short in my opinion. In either instance, I would see if I could get the long arm from Accurate.

That being said, if you're going to be in the market for a SPJ reel, you might want to wait until October-ish. . .

Upvote 0

david shelton

Almost A Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Nicaragua
    Name
    david shelton
    Boat
    Panga
    Anyone here had experience with the Shimano Grappler J slow jigging rods? What's the verdict? Looks like the TR Gravitate is sold out at Tackledirect but they do have a few Majorcraft rods in stock still though I see they are not rated that highly on Japanese Anglers Secrets though he says"C rated" rods are ok for shallow jigging which is what I'll be doing...

Upvote 0

david shelton

Almost A Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Nicaragua
    Name
    david shelton
    Boat
    Panga
    I would fish the Valiant 500n personally. I think it gives you the flexibility to get out deep if you can, and is so light that it doesn't matter you're shallow. You certainly would not need the line capacity in shallow, but as you grow with your technique you will undoubtedly want to explore deeper water. The Valiant 300 is also a great option in an even smaller package, but that will limit your exploration to 350ish feet. The issue with the 300 is that the stock arm is too short in my opinion. In either instance, I would see if I could get the long arm from Accurate.

That being said, if you're going to be in the market for a SPJ reel, you might want to wait until October-ish. . .

Thanks, Benny, noted! I think I read you mentioning the hammered finish diamond jigs as a good starter jig also for SPJ - what weights would you recommend for the 80-150ft depth range?

Upvote 0

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
    South Florida
    Name
    Benny Ortiz
    Boat
    Whatever one I'm on.
    I would say in the 4-8oz range depending on current.

Reactions: david shelton
    Upvote 0