First post! Hello Fishy, Soda Pop, Wahoodad and all you cool cats of West Coast fishing lore!

Dexter Outdoors

Nebraska

Almost A Member
Dec 20, 2016
Nebraska
Name
Craig Chamberlin
Boat
Intrepid
Wahoodad’s preferred version: Going on 14-16 day on Intrepid in the next 3 months, first time, live in Nebraska and own zero gear for this type of trip. Intend to use loaner gear from Intrepid and pay for line fill up. Need recommendations on terminal tackle and want to purchase as much of that as possible from Cabela’s. Tackle questions further below…

The non-abbreviated version: Hello everyone! My name is Craig and I live in Nebraska. Have read about every spun tale of greatness and piece of advice the most recent 100 pages of this San Diego sub-forum has to offer in the past months and taken notes along the way. Been dreaming of a 14-16 day on the Intrepid for about a year now ever since watching every single year of the infamous ‘Going Long’ videos and Wahoodad’s how-to videos on Youtube.

I grew up chasing King Salmon on the Rogue River in southern Oregon, then the multitude of fresh-water species that Colorado has to offer and now living in Nebraska, some incredible Walleye and Bass habitat but it’s time to take it up another notch. I got to do an offshore trip last summer out of Tampa Bay for Red Snapper and Gag Grouper and loved every minute of it but the 24 hour trip just wasn’t enough. I had tripped on the San Diego fleet and haven’t stopped trying to make that dream a reality. Well, after months of saving, and dropping hints to the wife, I just found out that my wife has blessed this crazy dream of mine and even purchased a gift certificate for me on the Intrepid to get the trip started. Green light means GO! I’m trying to put this together in the coming weeks to see if I can pull off the 1/29-2/13/2017 Intrepid trip. Otherwise the late March trip which is hardly full right now would be my fall back option. I’ve read here sharks can be worse in spring and I fear that trip might be cancelled as it is still so empty so my brain is currently leaning towards the late January trip. Now that I finally took the plunge and made a BD account, look forward to interacting more with this extremely knowledgeable group.

I will be driving from Nebraska to San Diego so weight or bulk is not a concern like it would be on an airplane and hopefully will have a cooler or 2 of frozen fish when I get back!

Thanks everyone! I love chasing the seasons whether it be the walleye spawn and morel mushrooms in the spring, picking mulberries for homemade wine in summer or a dandy whitetail buck in fall but this trip is going to be another dream come true in the epic adventure we call life!

Tackle Questions:
I would like to purchase as much of my gear from Cabela’s if at all possible. I read the ‘rules for posting’ and have made sure not to provide URL’s and am not trying to advertise on their behalf. I work there so want to take advantage of the discount I’m afforded if at all possible is the reason. The below is my current list of products Cabela’s sells I have logged in recent months as I started making different lists but I have gaps. Some of it I can get from Cabela’s but I understand some items like Salas PL 68s I will need to purchase elsewhere since Cabela’s does not carry.
Owner Super Mutu hooks, item # 319014 is recommended on the Intrepid Gear List and is a hook Cabela’s does carry. Intrepid’s gear list references sizes: 2/0, 4/0, 5/0, 7/0, 9/0 on this trip. Can I get away with 3 of those 5 sizes? Or is there a good need for all 5 throughout the trip? Is there a 2nd hook type that is a must have for a newbie's arsenal? The Mustad 7691S Tuna Hooks item # 312417 in size 10/0 for example that was referenced in vegasandre’s excellent recent write up? I have read dozens of posts from recent years and I get that everyone has their preferred hook style and brand but just want to make sure I’m not completely missing a hook style with the limited options carried.

Split shot pss-2 size item # 135227. I assume one order of 90 pieces is plenty?

I see Cabela’s sells Seaguar Fluoro Premier item # 119283 which comes highly recommended here but Cabela’s only goes to 100 lb and it is 25 yard spools. Is 1 spool of 80 lb and 2 spools of 100 lb enough in those line classes starting from scratch? We have Amazon Prime at our house and I see 25 and 50 yard chunks of 130 and 200 pound line class there ranging from $50 for 25 yards of 130 to $144 for 50 yards of 200 as examples. Fluoro alone may end up as more $ than the trip from Nebraska to the coast and back if I’m not smart here! Help me narrow this down without falling short. I know long range fishing is not a cheap sport and I’m not looking to go cheap, but I want to be smart and I won’t be using this line class when I get back home.

I’ve read a bunch about using mono too but my brain doesn’t yet visualize where/what conditions I use fluoro vs. mono for leaders/top-shots and I don’t see Cabela’s has 100-200 pound clear mono. Recommendations? Nebraska doesn’t have any saltwater tackle centers for some reason but Amazon Prime can come to my rescue.

I understand bait is small this year so making bait is more important than ever and I have zero issues dragging my butt out of bed after a few hours of sleep to make bait nightly. I saw a recent thread and found P-line live red rubber sabiki rig item # 135086 sizes 10 and 12 recommended. How many of each would you recommend bringing? Anything else Cabela’s sells you would love to see a newbie have in their arsenal for making bait? A squid jig for example or is that too ‘off-chance’?

I always see torpedo weights referenced here… but is Cabela’s trolling sinkers item # 312426 the equivalent?

Do I need something like cannonball sinkers, item # 118098 when I read some of you reference dropping down 8-24 ounces of lead?

Let’s talk vertical jigs/wahoo bombs. Is anything Cabela’s carries the right fit? Williamson Vortex Jigs item # 123816?

Same line of questioning with off-shore trolling… I understand I will have an opportunity to be on a trolling rotation for wahoo during the day possibly. Anything worth the purchase? Yo-Zuri Big Game Bonita or Williamson Lures Wahoo Catcher Rigged as examples? If not, I will go elsewhere so that no matter what I have the right gear for this trip.

Last, Moving away from Cabela’s now…does the Salas PL 68 Glow White Single Tuna Hook still need the hook replaced and therefore just purchase the cheaper option with ghetto hook or is this particular item ready for use when you select the ‘with single tuna hook’? Any specific place you all love to purchase them or charkbait as good as any? The first lure I ever dreamt of purchasing for this trip was a glow PL 68… At some point I will try and catch a beast at 2am on a drop with a PL 68. Winding like mad and all of a sudden your line is going the other way singing the most beautiful song my ears have ever heard. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz

Best,
Craig

Upvote 0

$norkle

May 6, 2008
Corvallis,OR
Name
Bruce
Boat
In my dreams!
Rather than attack your questions one-by-one, I think the best advice I can give you is to shelve the Cabelas idea and first go to someplace like Charkbait (others can jump in here with your favorite SoCal suppliers) and take a long soak in all of their tackle options, and then compare with what folks are talking about/recommending here in this forum. I live in Oregon, yet I wouldn't consider buying tackle for LR fishing anywhere but SoCal. I can walk through the Cabela's here in OR and hardly find anything I would ever use on a longrange trip.

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
Some of the local (San Diego) tackle shops also ship orders. I would look at Charkbait, Anglers Choice and I think Squidco will as well. Better option then Cabela's.
I highly recommend the JRI 8 for your big tuna jig. No mods needed. I know Anglers choice had some in stock last weekend.
Also, I have a checklist I have made for both personal items as well as fishing items if you are interested. PM if you would like a copy.
Welcome to BD..!!!

Upvote 0

pgangler

12Wt
Jul 25, 2012
Pacific Grove, Calif
Name
Ron
Boat
Was Cabo35, now GW Gulfstream
Craig, I was in the same "boat" as you a year ago - never had done a real LR trip. Then I jumped on the Rooster for a 15-day in January, and had the time of my life. I'm already smiling for you, thinking about what a great time you're going to have! Not going to dispense any advice, there are too many very experienced folks here for me to bother - just going to grab the popcorn now. Have fun!!!

Reactions: Sbebdllh
Upvote 0

salty brain

Nothing but salt between the ears
Sep 25, 2012
OC
Name
Dave
Boat
what ever floats
Like said before, Get your gear in socal. call the office and get basic idea of what to bring, talk to a few tackle shops, some of what you need you can buy on the boat. have fun your going to love it.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Geeeez guys, nearly everyone is throwing out the idea of him trying to get anything from Cabelas which is where he works!?? C'mon now, help the dude out. We all know that there are great shops here in SD or online to grab some gear, but the guy is asking for advise on the things he CAN get from where he works, and those that he can't he will surely purchase elsewhere.

This long range gear topic is well beyond anything I would be able to offer, so lets hear from the guys who are well versed in this area. Help the newb out, and let him know of the items he's asking, and if those would be good for him to purchase at his place of work...... if not, then steer him in the right direction. ;)

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Love your enthusiasm, great start. Unless you get a 50% or better discount on Cabela's merchandise, buy in San Diego.

Call Steve in the Intrepid office talk to him, listen to him. Ask if there's anything you'll need to buy, anything they don't have on the boat. Most of us who fish these trips worked our way up from shorter trips to longer trips and have acquired tackle along the way. Best bet for you, take clothes, a good attitude and get what you need on the boat. You'll have less hassle and spend less money and won't have a ton of stuff left over after the trip.

Besides, fishy is on the trip. He's got stuff, just dive into his bags and help yourself! ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Montaukmaniac

Thats my son, not me.
Feb 8, 2011
Westchester NY
Name
Steve
Boat
miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
Some of the local (San Diego) tackle shops also ship orders. I would look at Charkbait, Anglers Choice and I think Squidco will as well.

Charkbait, Anglers Choice and Squidco:

The advice above may be helpful. You have plenty of time to research & comparison shop!!! JRI, is a fantastic brand for bombs, jigs (& soon trolling lures). Hooks: check out www.ringedhooks.com.

Welcome to a ferocious addiction!

Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
Feb 11, 2007
The "718"
Name
John
Boat
A big Steel One
Bring some 4-8/0 Super Mutu hooks. 2-3 packs of each

Get a couple of 7691DT in 11 and 12/0

Eagle L319 2/0 - 3/0 live bait hooks for Wahoo leaders

Afw Titanium wire 30 or 40# to make wire wahoo leaders as many as you can tie, crimp or twist

Capt Jimmy or Jri Wahoo bombs as many as you can afford

Pl68 with the southern tuna hook on 2-3

The Red Sabikis in # 10 or 12 for catching tubes (4 -5 packs of each) Need some flies with 2/0 hooks for making a Salami sabiki

Sinkers - Trolling Sinkers 1oz -12 oz. 6 of each

Spro - 230# swivels 10 pcs

Fluro - 100#-130# One 25yd hank of each Dont need the smaller sizes

Some cutters for braid and mono

Bag to put it in.

Keep it simple. Go have fun.

Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
Are you in for a treat! That moment when you come aboard the Intrepid, man, you just feel like you've arrived. Their gear is top notch and you won't be left wanting- for anything. But----

If you're laying down Intrepid money, I'd work with some of the San Diego shops to insure you're getting the most dialed in terminal tackle from folks who are at the epicenter of LR fishing. I'm not knocking Cabela's at all (other than it kills me BassPro is taking them over). Yeah, you might spend a buck or two more, but you are crossing off a line on your bucket list and deserve to be dialed in.

Best of luck and have a fine time.

Upvote 0

Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin
Jul 18, 2003
santa monica,ca.
Name
Mickeyfin
Boat
no
Although I haven't gone longer than 8 days I suggest buying all you can from Cabelas and ask them to help finance the trip in some way. Tell them about all the good publicity they will receive as well as opening the doors to new business opportunities such as chartering fishing trips with Cabelas doing tie-ins Penn, Avet and Shimano
Otherwise have a good time

Go gettum, Mick

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Atuna

Salt
May 3, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Garry
Boat
Whatever floats
Geeeez guys, everyone is throwing out the idea of him getting anything from Cabelas which is where he works!?? C'mon now, help the dude out. We all know that there are great places here in SD or online to grab some gear, but the guy is asking for advise on the things he CAN get from where he works, and those that he can't he will surely purchase elsewhere.

This long range gear topic is well beyond anything I would be able to offer, so lets hear from the guys who are well versed in this area. Help the newb out, and let him know of the items he's asking, and if those would be good for him to purchase at his place of work...... if not, then steer him in the right direction. ;)

The unknown fisherman:p:
It's most definitely slim pickins at Cabellas! A dubious selection, but then, on the other hand, a sinkers a sinker.
CART (18)
IK - 134866 : Seaguar Big Game Blue Label Leader – 30-Meter Coil x 1 = $89.99
LB.TEST: [130 #] | ITEM: [IK - 134866]
IK - 134866 : Seaguar Big Game Blue Label Leader – 30-Meter Coil x 1 = $79.99
LB.TEST: [100#] | ITEM: [IK - 134866]
IK - 319014 : Owner® Super Mutu™ Hooks x 1 = $14.99
SIZE: [5/0] | ITEM: [IK - 319014]
IK - 319014 : Owner® Super Mutu™ Hooks x 1 = $14.99
SIZE: [6/0] | ITEM: [IK - 319014]
IK - 319014 : Owner® Super Mutu™ Hooks x 1 = $16.99
SIZE: [11/0] | ITEM: [IK - 319014]
IK - 312426 : Cabela's Trolling Sinkers x 1 = $10.99
SIZE: [4 OZ] | ITEM: [IK - 312426]
IK - 312426 : Cabela's Trolling Sinkers x 1 = $9.99
SIZE: [8 OZ] | ITEM: [IK - 312426]
SIZE: [16 OZ] | ITEM: [IK - 312426]
SIZE: [2 OZ] | ITEM: [IK - 312426]
IK - 137089 : VMC® Heavy Duty Ball Bearing Swivels with Welded Rings x 1 = $9.49
SIZE: [#4] | ITEM: [IK - 137089]
IK - 137090 : VMC® HEavy Duty Tournament Snap Ball Bearing Swivels x 1 = $11.99
SIZE: [#5] | ITEM: [IK - 137090]
IK - 129263 : American Fishing Wire Stainless Steel Single-Strand Toothproof Leader Wire x 1 = $16.99
SIZE: [CAMO] | COLOR: [SIZE 5] | LB.TEST: [1/4LB COIL] | ITEM: [IK - 129263]
IK - 317502 : Sea Striker® Rigging Kit with Crimper x 1 = $59.99
ITEM: [IK - 317502]
IK - 312417 : Mustad® 7691S Tuna Hooks - Per 10 x 1 = $57.99
SIZE: [9/0] | ITEM: [IK - 312417]
IK - 316151 : Owner® 5134 JOBU Big Game Hooks x 1 = $18.99
SIZE: [10/0] | ITEM: [IK - 316151]
IK - 320454 : SPRO Power Ball-Bearing Solid-Ring Swivels – Black x 1 = $9.99
COLOR: [5] | ITEM: [IK - 320454]
IK - 138375 : Shimano® Flat-Fall Butterfly Jig x 1 = $12.99
SIZE: [5 1/2 OZ] | COLOR: [CHARTREUSE WHITE] | ITEM: [IK - 138375]
IK - 020874 : Cabela's Fishing Tool Kits x 1 = $29.99
MODEL: [3 PIECE PLIER KIT] | ITEM: [IK - 020874]

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Welcome aboard Craig.......if you decide to go on the January trip I will be on it along with10 or 12 of my fishing buddies who are some the nicest guys and really good sticks to include Fishdoggary, Silent Jim, Shooter, DH515, JC, Red Beard.

The torpedo sinkers from Cabelas are perfect...hook preference is a personal choice what I like others may not.... personally I use Eagle Claw L2004's which Cabelas sells..they also sell the Super Mutus which many others use....as far as fluoro carbon you will need 100# and 130# I would get 2-25 yards spools of each. Get at least one spool in pink as sometimes it gets bit a little better....

What are you doing for rods and reels? I suggest calling Steve and reserving at least 3 cow outfits......

This could go on and on for pages.....best we do this in installments...lol.... but first thing you have to decide what trip you are going
on....LOL

Upvote 0

strackle99

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Mar 20, 2008
    Villa Lepro, Baja
    Name
    Todd
    Boat
    The one on the fish
    The tackle shops listed above are all good.

I am a fan of Squidco.

Welcome to the club. Have fun!!!!

Upvote 0

stephen campbell

aka "Soup"
    Jul 7, 2016
    oro valley az
    Name
    Stephen Campbell
    Boat
    S/V Bluechablis Valiant 40
    If Ya have the time, I consider Squidco as part of the LR experience. Don't know how old you are but they are what "bait shops" used to be like. Like they say on the docks "well, it sure aint Cabela's" hahah

Upvote 0

ripped

• Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Vagabond
    Don't worry too much about the size of the bait as you will most likely be making your own at night. Have a couple of 12 oz. torpedos to help keep your loaded up gangeon from drifting into your neighbors rig creating a mondo tangle.

Upvote 0

DC61

Dec 28, 2011
    Dana Point
    Name
    Paul L.
    Boat
    33’ Blackfin
    HI Craig,
    Great first post, welcome to the board. I hope you sign up for the January 29th Intrepid trip. My friend Dan and I are both on it again. It's a nice group of guys. I believe Kevin is running the trip. He is a class act, for sure. I also. Believe Fishy is signed up on this trip too. I've never fished with him personally, But he seems like quite the gentleman and has been very receptive to answering my questions.
    We were all new fisherman a
    I am available to newer any questions you may have. Feel free to shoot me a PM and I will give you my phone number.

Upvote 0

hagridfish

Oct 21, 2008
    Aurora Colorado
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    None
    Welcome Craig, To one of the most addicting things known to man!!!!
    You may be on the trip with Fishy, and myself as well as a bunch of good fishermen according to Fishy).
    Get all you rods, reels, etc... from the boat. You won't have much need for the gear in Nebraska. Terminal tackle is subject to personal preference. I like circle hooks for just about everything. I also use Eagle Claw hooks (a big no-no, to some guys here). since you are driving, and it's your first trip, pick up the hooks you want. I bought an entire list that was posted on one of the other boats, 20 years ago, and STILL have some of the first hooks I bought. But it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. The boat should have all the lead you need, but you can pick up some if you want, 4 to 16oz torpedoes, and some 1/2 to 4 oz. sliding egg sinkers. A box of tooth picks and balloons may also be in order. Other than that, just pack a good attitude, and plan to have the time of your life. Just one more thing, leave the Corn Huskers in Nebraska, (LOL)

Reactions: Sbebdllh
    Upvote 0

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
    Jun 20, 2015
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Brad I
    Boat
    Nope
    Hi Craig,

I'd agree with the others that Cabela's is not a saltwater specialist, and you are going on an ultimate saltwater adventure, so I'd rely upon other tackle suppliers. I'd also agree that reserving loaner gear from the boat is the easiest, most cost effective and all-around best way to go (you should still bring your own line/topshots).

You'll have 2-3 days at the beginning of the trip to rig up and learn new skills. including making both floro/mono and wire leaders, but it would be good to learn about them now; there is a ton of information on these pages. Likewise, it would be good to now practice knots; its good to be able to tie them as quickly and well as possible.

Good luck!

Brad

Reactions: backlashjack
    Upvote 0

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
    Apr 27, 2003
    US/Mexico
    Name
    Choate
    Boat
    Islander
    I would definitely not buy the stuff on the lists on the websites of each boat. Way too much gear, and it'll get rusty before you ever use some of it.
    Buy as much as you can from Cabela's if you like, then hit one of the local tackle stores when you get to San Diego.
    Nothing wrong with the Tony Pena knot, but in the 4 days travel you can learn to do your own topshots.
    I'd get a pro pack of Super Mutus 5/0, 6/0 and 7/0, regular pack of 4/0 and 8/0.
    Wire, I like Knot2Kinky in 60# for jigs, 40# for bait. I use 90# Seven strand for bombs.
    2 or 3 bombs, color doesn't matter, best color is fast (as my buddy Tim Turis says)
    I wouldn't go with less than 10 wahoo jigs, Sea Strike 33, Salas 6X jr, Raiders. Single siwash hook.
    2 Salas PL68 jigs, everybody likes glow in the dark, I've caught fish on green/yellow, blue/white, scrambled egg. Main thing is a big forged hook.
    2 30 meter spool 100# FC, 2 130#, 1 150#. I like Soft Steel Invisible, but *****disclaimer***** I am on their pro staff. I like the sizing, suppleness and clarity.
    I buy my sinkers on the boat, once in awhile they run out, oh well.
    A variety of sabiki rigs, from really small 6 hook rigs to large heavy test 2 hook rigs.
    You can refer to the websites for clothes and personal gear, just the tackle portions of those websites are outrageously out of date.

Upvote 0

Latest posts