first post!.. gear & tackle recommendations?

nannerpeal

• Aug 31, 2021
    SoCal
    Name
    Preston
    Boat
    floater
    hey guys/girls,

I booked my first 3-Day on the Sea Adventure 80 for mid October. I have done overnight, 1.5 day and 2 day trips. I want to make sure I am prepared with the right gear and tackle for 3-5 day trips that i want to start taking. right now I have plan on bringing-

-Okuma Komodo SS 7:1 on AXPSB-C-7-7111XH 15-40
    -Avet SX 6/4 on a Seeker G970 15-40
    -Avet MXL 5.8 on custom #30
    -Accurate Fury 400 (single speed) (need rod)
    -Avet JX Raptor on Phenix PSW700XH #30-80
    -Avet HXW Raptor on Phenix Axis HAX720X2H

the JX and HXW are new setups to me and have been looking at going to hollow core make different wind-on leaders. it seems like it would be better for the longer trips so i could change out leaders faster.

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    You’re all set. Not much difference between the three trips you mentioned. 1.5, 2 and 3 day trips fish pretty much the same areas, same species. Have you been out this year?

Reactions: nannerpeal
    N
    nannerpeal
    iv only been out once this year on a 1.5 white seabass trip that was a bust... trying to find a 2 day to jump on before october.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Check in at H&M, looks like several boats have opening, 1.75 and 2 day trips

N
    nannerpeal
    i was looking at their trips yesterday, just wating for my loser friends to see if they want to fish lol
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    hey guys/girls,

I booked my first 3-Day on the Sea Adventure 80 for mid October. I have done overnight, 1.5 day and 2 day trips. I want to make sure I am prepared with the right gear and tackle for 3-5 day trips that i want to start taking. right now I have plan on bringing-

-Okuma Komodo SS 7:1 on AXPSB-C-7-7111XH 15-40
    -Avet SX 6/4 on a Seeker G970 15-40
    -Avet MXL 5.8 on custom #30
    -Accurate Fury 400 (single speed) (need rod)
    -Avet JX Raptor on Phenix PSW700XH #30-80
    -Avet HXW Raptor on Phenix Axis HAX720X2H

the JX and HXW are new setups to me and have been looking at going to hollow core make different wind-on leaders. it seems like it would be better for the longer trips so i could change out leaders faster.
    I spent money and time getting wind on leaders for three outfits a few years ago. I went on a 1 1/2 day trip and we got into a wide open BFT bite with the fish 100 lbs plus for a couple hours. Because there is not the knowledge in general fishing big BFT there is now a lot of people on the boat never landed one of the 50+ caught that night. They were dragged around the boat, someone I spoke with hooked and lost 5. I got sawed off on all three rigs way up past the loops early on. Fortunately I can tie the Bob Sands knot and had cutoffs from my wind-on leaders and got back in the game. I was at the tackle shop where I spooled the reels and was telling the owner the story. He said “that’s why I usually fish solid and tie knots”. Which is what I usually do now for up to 100lb without any doubt of the connections and time involved in retying. Just a thought….

N
    nannerpeal
    thanks for the input man. yeah I have not landed anything worth bragging about and I am starting to take these 3-5 day trip and want to be prepared. I was on a 2 day last year and got spooled on my Accurate Fury 400 on FULL brakes! I told myself I wont let that happen again lol which is why I went out and picked up the JX Rap and HXW Rap... just need to practice rigging options now.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0