First Offshore trip for the season

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by _dayday, Jun 14, 2019.

1. _dayday

_dayday Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    17ft CC "Gringo Mandingo"
    Headed out on Tuesday in the 17ft CC with two buddies. Left MB around 5am and headed towards the 302 with plans to head to the corner after that. Water was dirty brown until about the 9 mile bank. Lots of big paddies around but not a lot of fish. Jumped in on a massive paddy a couple miles west of the 9 and found 3 yellows. The fish were acting super sketchy and wouldn't get into range. Buddy missed on a long shot and off we went.

Water was getting cleaner the farther we went. Around the 226/302 bank we started seeing a bit more signs of life. Birds cruising around, a ton of paddies again. We jumped in on a lot of paddies and only the massive ones were holding fish. Once again, these fish were super skiddish and only about 2-3 yellows on each paddy. We get about 5 miles west of the 226 and we are in the zone. It was a big zone, probably a 3 mile by 3 mile wide zone of activity. Lots of activity, birds circling, nice clean water, occasional boils, and lots of paddies. We chase the bluefin around for a couple hours, casting under birds, then watching them boil 100 yards away, chase them down and repeat. We tried all the tricks but couldnt get infront of any schools and didnt want to sit in any cattle boats chum line so we opted back to yellows.

About 1/2 of the extra large paddies were holding yellows, only small packs though. No more than 10 fish on the biggest school. We saw a couple bigger models and I tore out of a solid 30# yellow. Heartbreak but atleast we landed a few.

Called it a day and headed home. Didn't look like any of the yellows were eating as we saw multiple sardines that were previously hooked just swimming around the paddies. Might be a good time to invest in some spearguns if you havent yet!

Good luck out there. Hopefully heading out tomorrow again!

2. mkfriedrich

mkfriedrich Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    michael friedrich
    Boat:
    Liberty
    Thanks for the report!

dstinger and _dayday like this.
  3. Paul Ward

Paul Ward I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    wooddog
    Boat:
    Boaty
    How were the conditions. That wind on the outer waters has been blowing for days

_dayday likes this.
  4. longboard85

longboard85 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    cody
    Boat:
    17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
    Thanks for the report Dylan!

_dayday and dstinger like this.
  5. tom cindric

tom cindric Tom-broke-off

Name:
    all she's got
    Boat:
    22 key largo / 2670 Glacier Bay
    Thanks for the report . Any suggestions on guns. Type and size?

6. _dayday

Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    It was calm most the day. The marine later kept the wind off for most the day. We started heading back in around 2pm and there was a little wind but no problems at all. Dry ride home.

7. _dayday

Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    If your going offshore only, you can get away with a bigger gun. 55”-65” size gun with anywhere from 2-5 bands would be solid. There’s a ton of different brands and a few different types of guns( wood or pipe gun, ect). If you have any more interest in it feel free to shoot me a message!