First multi-day offshore trip ... any last minute advice?

PENN

caserock

Student of life ....
Nov 29, 2005
Costa Mesa
Name
Mike
Boat
La Otra
enjoy it ...

Upvote 0

Paul Gagnon

Dec 16, 2013
Santee, CA
Name
Paul G
Boat
SUP, Canoe, float tube (.... need a real damn boat!)
Thanks for all the stellar tips. Since I only have three rods to bring, I'll rig the 3 pound into a 20lb setup. The reel has 30lb mono topshot and 65lb braid backing on it, so I'll just use a 20lb flouro leader.

Upvote 0

peteking

Everybody take a look at the bad guy-T. Montana
Apr 21, 2013
Arcadia/CA/USA
Name
Pete King
Boat
Ohana
Thanks for all the stellar tips. Since I only have three rods to bring, I'll rig the 3 pound into a 20lb setup. The reel has 30lb mono topshot and 65lb braid backing on it, so I'll just use a 20lb flouro leader.

Put at least an 80 yard 20# topshot on before the flourocarbon!!! The weight of your line being pulled through the water will cause fish to drop your bait.

Upvote 0

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
Two things I always bring. 1) sleeping bag you can lay on top if too hot or crawl in if the A/C is set too high. a good nights sleep is important
2) a Costco folding chair that you can carry on the boat. There's something about sitting out side at night before or after dinner with your new friends and drinking a glass of adult spirits and recall the days fishing that is how memories are made.
Be generous with your tips to the mates and cooks.
Camera is a must, if you have a go pro even better but pictures bring back a certain point in all memories and explain to others the fun you have. If you bring a computer or tablet download the pictures and make sure you label each angler in them. 10 years from now you will not remember their names. Exchange email addresses with the fishermen you are closest with on the trip and if possible keep in contact and plan another trip for next season.
Oh I guess that is more then two. Lastly listen to the deck hands they are out there every day and want you to catch fish they will not steer you wrong. Lastly X2 if you wife can cook bring something for the deckhands for the first nights dinner. they have been on the boat getting it ready for you to fish so bring a pie, cookies, what ever they will be grateful Have a blast

Upvote 0

Paul Gagnon

Dec 16, 2013
Santee, CA
Name
Paul G
Boat
Great advice on the last bit there. :)

I suppose I'll bring my 20lb spinning outfit. It's the only other rig I have aside from the 3 I'm bringing. It's got 30lb spectra and 20lb mono topshot on a 6500 series baitfeeder and 8ft MH rod.

Upvote 0

gnehekul

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 23, 2012
los angeles
Name
Fishead
Boat
cash carrying ho
also thanks for not calling your trip a long range trip..

face in the wind and follow your line! do the tuna shuffle. never toss a bait in the middle of the shuffle. go to the end of the shuffle

Reactions: Paul Gagnon
Upvote 0

soopaflyjm1

Nov 6, 2012
Las Vegas Nv Clark
Name
J Money
Boat
Reel Fun
Wait 3-5 seconds and flip the lever when bit. No need to swing either. Lift and they are on.

Then don't panick when line is peeling off your reel. They will stop, hopefully......

That reminds me. Have a deckhand set your drag.

Upvote 0

Simon Bon Bowery

Lizard Fish Hippie
Feb 18, 2007
O'side
Name
Simon
Boat
Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
Lube, booze and smokes.

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
if ones close by go to anna's linens get cheap sheets and pillow case then just leave em good boat and crew just talk with them they will help just pay attention to your line take smaller mega baits and swim baits

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    In addition to the great suggestions above, I also bring side-clip hand towel, a small net for easily getting a bait (which I leave by the bait well, others are free to use) a book to read, and a small fan that runs on two D-Cell batteries. I sleep much better with a little air moving across my head.

Have a great trip, and don't fall for that bullshit about you have to eat the heart of your first tuna.

Upvote 0

peteking

Everybody take a look at the bad guy-T. Montana
    Apr 21, 2013
    Arcadia/CA/USA
    Name
    Pete King
    Boat
    Ohana
    Heading out on the 2.5 day on the Eclipse this Thursday. Aside from occassional half-day trips, I don't fish on sportboats. I also have NEVER caught any tuna or yellowtail for that matter, so very excited to possible catch three or four new species!

I've mostly got my tackle squared away (30, 40 and 50lb setups, knife jigs and irons, variety of hook sizes and rubber core sinkers, flouro leader, etc.).

What I'm looking for advice on is the other miscellaneous things I should be prepared with for a multi-day trip that one might not think of. Tips on sleeping on a boat? How much cash to bring for various things? Beer is available on board, but are you allowed to bring other libations? Clothing tips?

Appreciate any last minute advice to make this a very successful trip!

How was the trip???

Upvote 0

homie 101

EAST L.A.
    Name
    Burrito Loco
    Boat
    Sold
    The eclipse has a soda machine.so if u r a coke and jack drinker I suggest u take a bottle.keep it on the down low.sometimes u have guys that will snitch u out.

Upvote 0

Tar Pit

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 7, 2006
    Reno NV
    Name
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat
    None.
    I'm not seeing the F-word in any of the reports. Is fluorocarbon a must this year or is it just light line and get in the water quick after jig strike?

Upvote 0

Paul Gagnon

Dec 16, 2013
    Santee, CA
    Name
    Paul G
    Boat
    I think flouro was definitely a good idea. I caught a few of the yellows on 20lb mono during the WFO bite since I didn't want to take the time to retie a leader, but you should definitely be using flouro and drop on the slide immediately after a jig strike.

Upvote 0