First Marlin

BNaks

Dec 6, 2009
Mililani/HI/USA
Name
Brandon
Boat
Baby Hawk
After hearing all the west side hype all week and 3 of my friends picking up 4 ahi's, I finally got my shot on friday 8/20. My dad and sister showed up at my house on time at 3am and we headed to waianae to try and beat the crowd at the ramp. I figured we could launch early and take our time heading out. I had high hopes for my first ahi, but I also heard that marlin were everywhere too. We got out to about 19.5 miles out and were searching for the birds along with 4 other boats when the center came down. I saw a nice bull mahi doing flips behind us and my sister started bringing it in. We got it up to leader only to see it spit the hooks on one if its jumps right at the boat. DAMNIT.. Oh well, it happens.
A little while after getting things set back up and searching a bit in the morning chop, my sister started feeling sick so we turned the boat toward the island and headed in. It was pretty bumpy and it took us a while to get back to the 1000 fathom, but the weather got really nice and my sister felt a little better so I decided to follow it. My dad spotted a small bird pile outside r bouy, so we checked it out and on our 2nd pass the left outrigger slams down followed by the right corner. I look back and see only splashes close to the boat from the corner, but the one on the rigger was putting on a fricken show. Both reels were screaming pretty good, then the corner came off.. shit.. no time to bitch about it cause the other one was still on. So now I'm driving the boat, my dad is fighting the fish, and my sister is clearing lines. Pretty exciting and fun i gotta admit..
Maybe 20 minutes or so later I sunk the gaff in my first marlin. It was an awesome feeling to land such a nice fish. It weighed about 130lbs, but no scale so I'm guessing. You can tell we're rookies cause we took the picture with the ass end of the fish instead of the head side. Anyways, can't wait to get out there again and try for that ahi..

adobo

sponsor by..Masalures.com
Jul 22, 2009
honolulu hi
Name
sab
Boat
19' glasspro
congrats on your first marlin bnaks. what time did u catch your marlin, i was out that day also. i ran the ledge early morning and head straight out to co bouy and found a big ass bird pile with no luck. then shoot straight for the pinnacle with no luck and ran s and r with no luck.

aj1976

Apr 14, 2008
kaneohe
Name
aj
Boat
23 Seacraft
congrats brandon and family on your first marlin! The yellow guy should follow soon.

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Hey Brandon,
Congrats on your first marlin! I'm sure it will be the first of many to come .... you're starting to get your boat dialed in and now you can cross off one more fish species from that list of fishes to be caught! Ah, let's see...... what does that leave? Oh yeah, Otaru, Ahi ...... no worry you going get em!

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Brandon, Dad and Sis,
Good goin' on the blue, that's a perfect size to get your feet wet with. Also a perfect size to grind... Certainly would have made it a little more interesting had the other 1 stayed stuck also.

Cheers
Pat

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
Brandon, congratulations to you and your crew on your first marlin! Good going and many more to come!

spock

Apr 14, 2010
Honolulu, HI
Name
Spock
Boat
17 currentline
Congrats on the nice marlin! You're doing great for your first year of captaining your boat! Load up some more!

jonesd055

Feb 20, 2006
Hawaii Kai
Name
Jonesy
Boat
20', Calais, Shilelagh Law
Brandon, congrats on your marlin, it's cool that you caught it together with your family. How'd you guys grind em?

Aloha,
Jonesy

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
Hey, nice double strike, and a great story, Brandon! Thanks for the post. Congratulations on your first marlin. That was a terrific catch, and hopefully it was just the first of many more to come. Good job!

Akemi

Sep 22, 2009
honolulu
Name
derek
Boat
26 saltwater,30 knife
brandon nice nose and perfect size to eat.hopefully many more to come for you and your family.

geno machino

"Relax" - Everything is going to be just fine!
Feb 9, 2007
O'side
Name
Gene
Boat
Revo 13
WTG! Brandon and crew! Feels great to get that first marlin under your belt!

SWEEEET!!!!!!

geno

grander007

Well-Known "Member"
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
Way to go! Cool we can now talk about eating marlin w/out the tree huggers jumping all over us...must have finally scared them away ...

Tight lines,

nodrama

Jul 25, 2010
Honolulu
Name
Ryan
Good going Brandon and Crew, nice first marlin with many more to come. Now go get the yellow guy and get rid of the fever.

BNaks

Dec 6, 2009
Mililani/HI/USA
Name
Brandon
Boat
Baby Hawk
Good going Brandon and Crew, nice first marlin with many more to come. Now go get the yellow guy and get rid of the fever.
Thanks.. The fever is still raging, but catches like this keep me positive my day will come.

Way to go! Cool we can now talk about eating marlin w/out the tree huggers jumping all over us...must have finally scared them away ...

Tight lines,
I had to keep my first one, right? Can't let um go with a hook in the eye. I LET the other one go anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin to it.

Good going on your guys first marlin. We went friday too and never get one single strike the whole day.

Aloha,
J
Thanks J, go get um next time.

WTG! Brandon and crew! Feels great to get that first marlin under your belt!

SWEEEET!!!!!!

geno
yea it does, every good size fish helps the confidence level.

brandon nice nose and perfect size to eat.hopefully many more to come for you and your family.
I hope so too, making memories.

Hey, nice double strike, and a great story, Brandon! Thanks for the post. Congratulations on your first marlin. That was a terrific catch, and hopefully it was just the first of many more to come. Good job!
Thanks Pupule, after landing this one I think your solo was even more impressive.

Great fish.... Congrat's!
Thanks... I need to pick up some of your lures so I can get some sickles.

Good going Brandon! Congrats on the first long nose and many more to come!
Thanks, I hope they are all about this size too.

congrats brandon and family on your first marlin! The yellow guy should follow soon.
I hope so, and it would be cool if it was another family trip. My brother got akus last trip and now he wants to get something bigger.

Good going to you and the family on your first marlin, many more to come
Thanks, the strike and tail walking is something I'd like to see a lot more of. It was pretty nuts.

Hey Brandon,
Congrats on your first marlin! I'm sure it will be the first of many to come .... you're starting to get your boat dialed in and now you can cross off one more fish species from that list of fishes to be caught! Ah, let's see...... what does that leave? Oh yeah, Otaru, Ahi ...... no worry you going get em!
Otaru, Ahi, Sailfish, etc. I like get um all eventually.

Brandon, Dad and Sis,
Good goin' on the blue, that's a perfect size to get your feet wet with. Also a perfect size to grind... Certainly would have made it a little more interesting had the other 1 stayed stuck also.

Cheers
Pat
If the other one stuck things would have been crazy, but fun as hell. I agree, it was a perfect size for the first one. I gained a lot of experience to go with the knowledge I'm getting from this forum.

Brandon, congratulations to you and your crew on your first marlin! Good going and many more to come!
Thanks Jimmy, ahi next I hope.

Congrats on the nice marlin! You're doing great for your first year of captaining your boat! Load up some more!
It's been a fun first year fishing off my boat. Spending time with family on the water and picking up some nice fish too. Hard to beat.

right on.....next one will be the yellow guy
yea, yellow guys watch out. I'm looking for you. Actually, if you guys could look for me it would make things a lot easier for all of us.

Brandon, congrats on your marlin, it's cool that you caught it together with your family. How'd you guys grind em?

Aloha,
Jonesy
Hey Jonesy, so far I tried sash and jerky. I thought it was pretty good. I got a friend smoking some for me too, so I can't wait to try that.