fisherman1133

fisherman1133
Apr 22, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Matthew Lowe
Boat
2320 Parker (Bigger Jigger)
Headed out of SB at 6 am. Made macs easy in 40 feet in front of the pier. Also caught little yellows on the sabiki, beyond unreal! Made 20 pieces and headed to Yellowbanks. 2 miles out of the harbor my steering gives out, hydraulic line has a tear so I caulk it and hope for the best. Finally get to yellowbanks area at 8. My buddy already has a 5LB YFT onboard so I'm stoked thinking it's about to turn on. I see the Aloha, Sea Jay, Island Spirit and tons of Marlin boats working the preserve and yellowbanks proper. From here for the rest of the day I trolled all over from the preserve to almost around Blue Banks. I didn't see any Marlin, although I saw one hooked up. Trolled tons of ponies for nada :( finally I headed out to where my buddy had his only fish only to be turned around by a helicopter saying they were doing live fire drills, oh well guess it wasn't my day. I decided to use the remaining macs to catch a YT at the rigs and lost 3, 2 to the rig and 1 to a seal. I certainly hope I am able to get out this weekend and get an 805 Marlin. Also hope someone scored today.

Alan

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 15, 2003
Ventura
atlantisutility.com
Name
Alan
Boat
Skipjack 25
Sorry about the steering. Slow for us also minimal signs of life surprising as a few days it was great.

steelhead88

Marriage is not a word; it is a sentence!
Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
GRAYLIGHT- Custom 23' Aluminum Pilothouse
Solid report Matthew, you certainly put in a big effort.

You did better than most by making some nice bait (situation in SB is a lot different than Ventura/CI right now), which is probably why the yellows are still around SB. Pretty funny you made that long ass run out of SB to Yellowbanks only to find the best fishing 4 miles out of the harbor on your way back. Sucks going 0 for 3 on the big yellows but at least you found them and got them to bite.

fisherman1133

fisherman1133
Apr 22, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Matthew Lowe
Boat
Solid report Matthew, you certainly put in a big effort.

You did better than most by making some nice bait (situation in SB is a lot different than Ventura/CI right now), which is probably why the yellows are still around SB. Pretty funny you made that long ass run out of SB to Yellowbanks only to find the best fishing 4 miles out of the harbor on your way back. Sucks going 0 for 3 on the big yellows but at least you found them and got them to bite.
Yea man it was pretty funny to go all that way only to stop four miles and fish for yellows. How weird is it that they are living on the rigs, I guess its like Amberjacks in the Gulf, trippy.

fisherman1133

fisherman1133
Apr 22, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Matthew Lowe
Boat
Good effort I think there are changes coming in the fishing with the weather change.

Hope you weren't trolling INSIDE the FootPrint MPA (reserve), NO fishing is allowed inside the closure see this link: http://www.californiampas.org/pages/regions/southcoast/footprintsmr.html
Yea I was trolling up and down the Western edge of the closure and following schools of porpoise until they went into the preserve. I tried to head out to the south edge but the live fire drill spoiled that idea. I did see one boat in the preserve and went to tell them they were in a reserve but they weren't fishing... just getting in some sensual fun.... very weird to roll up on.

errock_22

Professional Fuel Burner
Apr 6, 2008
Ventura / SB
Name
Eric B.
Boat
Ranger 240 Bahia - "Lil' Mijo" & Triumph 1700 Skiff
Yea I was trolling up and down the Western edge of the closure and following schools of porpoise until they went into the preserve. I tried to head out to the south edge but the live fire drill spoiled that idea. I did see one boat in the preserve and went to tell them they were in a reserve but they weren't fishing... just getting in some sensual fun.... very weird to roll up on.
BS with no pics. :D

CI CA

The dogs name is "Tuna"
Jul 7, 2015
Channel Islands Harbor
Name
Kipp
Boat
"Therapy" 38' Luhrs
Just got back into town and so glad you did not include pics. LOL I see some interesting stuff in my FLIR the odd time I make sure it still works, in the harbor and in the anchorage.

Back to fishing…….made some calls, sound like there are still a lot of fish out there. Were aggressive again too, coming up on jigs and teasers. Heard there are a few more wahoo out there. GF, my dog and I got Friday off so will be out Fri/Sat.

steelhead88

Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
Kipp,

We're planning to hit yellowbanks tomorrow (Fri), I'll be looking for you, we'll be in a gray aluminum pilothouse looking for yft.

Scott

Reactions: JustFishn

JustFishn

Jul 17, 2011
Los Angeles
Name
Justin
Boat
14' Livingston
Just got back into town and so glad you did not include pics. LOL I see some interesting stuff in my FLIR the odd time I make sure it still works, in the harbor and in the anchorage.

Back to fishing…….made some calls, sound like there are still a lot of fish out there. Were aggressive again too, coming up on jigs and teasers. Heard there are a few more wahoo out there. GF, my dog and I got Friday off so will be out Fri/Sat.
I will be out there, what channel you on? I will be that guy on the smallest boat out there lol

steelhead88

Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
Justin,

I'm typically on the bud light channel, but occasionally check in on ch 16.

I'll be on the lookout for your 14' (you're nucking futs BTW)!

Reactions: JustFishn

CI CA

The dogs name is "Tuna"
Jul 7, 2015
Channel Islands Harbor
Name
Kipp
Boat
"Therapy" 38' Luhrs
I am not sure yet. I have to get some sleep and know I will be up all night tying, sharpening, oiling, checking drags, converting mako lures to wahoo lures, est., thus not going to be at the fuel doc at 6am, so may be a semi late start after bait and fuel. I am very tempted to fish the east end of CAPA for bit, off the ridge line there, then head over but around the south line of the reserve. Or breeze by yellow banks farther West out of the crowd. Either way I will end over that way eventually. One thing about marlin, boat traffic sure doesn’t seem to bother them, but sure bothers me. Was in Albert’s before I left town and tied a YFT carcass after cleaning to my underwater camera, and there were about 10,000 lobsters feasting on it, so will likely be there for the night with a couple hoop nets.

Reactions: fisherman1133

steelhead88

Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
Kipp,

No worries, sounds like you have plenty to attend to before launching. We normally don't get too early of a start since we've had some running light issues that haven't been solved yet.

I'm temped to start at the east end of Capa and work my way over too, but the past two trips there we got blanked.

Hopefully Ciscos or Hooks have bait!

Scott

Reactions: Alan

CI CA

The dogs name is "Tuna"
Jul 7, 2015
Channel Islands Harbor
Name
Kipp
Boat
"Therapy" 38' Luhrs
Thinking about more (while I should be working) the Santa Cruz escarpment is a safe bet, can hit the other on the way home Sat. Plus trolling at 7-8 knots on the escarpment you can cover a lot of area between it and the reserve line in a few hours, zone in after that. I can end up spending all day on the east side. Thus should be by the fleet mid-morning. May troll some 4” jets in the gap to pick up some Bonita (aka lobster bait), fortunately that doesn’t take long these days.

Scott, going to drop you a PM by this evening.

steelhead88

Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
Sounds good Kipp, BTW, just checked in with my Ciscos buddy and NO bait! Dammit.

Will try Gina, the LJ, and Hueneme buoy first thing for bait.

aquaholic

Sep 19, 2003
Santa Barbara, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
Anderson 22
Hey Matt, This is Corey and Zack's dad. We went out again this weekend to the same area we fished last weekend. The fish moved farther out. We picked up two about 14 miles behind SC. Both on dolphin pods and both on hoochies behind a small hoochie spreader. Tons of red crab out there. One fish had crab in it the other had fairly large squid. First time I haven't seen a marlin back there. Did see a turtle offshore though. Coolest thing other than the two fish :-). Also hooked a small rat yellowtail trolling past a paddy. So small it didn't pop the rigger clip. Huge pod of dolphin (miles long) but they all looked to be heading south.

fisherman1133

fisherman1133
Apr 22, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Matthew Lowe
Boat
Hey Matt, This is Corey and Zack's dad. We went out again this weekend to the same area we fished last weekend. The fish moved farther out. We picked up two about 14 miles behind SC. Both on dolphin pods and both on hoochies behind a small hoochie spreader. Tons of red crab out there. One fish had crab in it the other had fairly large squid. First time I haven't seen a marlin back there. Did see a turtle offshore though. Coolest thing other than the two fish :-). Also hooked a small rat yellowtail trolling past a paddy. So small it didn't pop the rigger clip. Huge pod of dolphin (miles long) but they all looked to be heading south.
Oh hey hows it going! Thats awesome to hear that you got some.

Reactions: Alan