ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
Sep 6, 2005
Escondido
Name
Buster Brown
Boat
28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
I hope it was tail wrapped!! What are you going to do with it now?? Cat food??
Most fishermen release fish like this for others to catch another day!
don't be proud unless it was for a club Qualifier!!

Fucking trolls......

Upvote 0

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
Apr 5, 2006
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
Nice fish looks like it would be a fun fight -- congrats

Upvote 0

stroky

Kook
May 23, 2006
clairemont
Name
Mike
Boat
scooner
I hope it was tail wrapped!! What are you going to do with it now?? Cat food??
Most fishermen release fish like this for others to catch another day!
don't be proud unless it was for a club Qualifier!!

what a dick comment...I kill everyone I catch, they taste awesome

Upvote 0

spize909

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 14, 2004
i.e.
Visit site
Name
jeff
Boat
no
Not bad, 5 pages of replies, and only 2 dumbass posters like this..... :rolleyes:

Great fish! A huge congrats, and good eats!!!! :cheers:

Agreed but the sad thing is that everybody seems to think they have to justify it by saying how good they are for eating......to try to fend off the trolls.

Congrats on your fish!

Upvote 0

Vermonster

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 26, 2003
Escondido
Visit site
Name
Sean
Boat
I'm a Ho'.....
Agreed but the sad thing is that everybody seems to think they have to justify it by saying how good they are for eating......to try to fend off the trolls.

Congrats on your fish!

Absolutely. Sad world that someone doing something perfectly legal, and fun, has to put a disclaimer on something just so he/she doesn't piss off the worng person....LOL

Upvote 0

HIGH HOOK

Captain
Jun 26, 2007
South Bay
Name
Paul
Boat
18' Parker
A Super Duper CONGRATS!!! That's an Awesome Catch right there!

A few years back we took ours to the marlin club for weigh and pictures. They were great people! They called the smoker and mounting guys for us. They picked it up and days later had coolers of smoked and packaged marlin for us. Great experience.

Upvote 0

Noble Hook

May 4, 2005
San Diego
Name
John
Boat
25' Outrage "Inhaler" & 29’ Shamrock Walkaround “Novia Loca”
Nice job on your first Marlin! Nice fish no matter the weight.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice job on your first Marlin! Nice fish no matter the weight.

Upvote 0

Bubba

May 6, 2004
Pismo Beach
Name
Bubba
Boat
18' Trophy
That's a very nice fish for local waters and doing it on your own, congratulations and enjoy that fish.

Upvote 0

Marlinloco

Gyro Guy
Aug 24, 2004
San Diego
Name
Warren
Boat
Jewel Lure
I hate seeing dead stripers but that's a really nice fish for your first. 250 in your dreams, 190 in reality. For SoCal that's a beast. Nice goin.

Upvote 0

Bubba

May 6, 2004
Pismo Beach
Name
Bubba
Boat
18' Trophy
I hate seeing dead stripers but that's a really nice fish for your first. 250 in your dreams, 190 in reality. For SoCal that's a beast. Nice goin.

I don't like seeing dead billfish either but how have you got exact weight on Marlin you've caught? Just asking.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't like seeing dead billfish either but how have you got exact weight on Marlin you've caught? Just asking.

Upvote 0

godo

Almost A Member
Oct 18, 2008
Anaheim Hills, CA
Name
steve
Boat
24 Skipjack PH
Nicestriper and congrats on your first. I see lots of mixed opinions regardingkeeping and releasing his first. I think all of us are probably guilty of keeping ourfirst. I’m guilty of having Rosie Cadman weigh in a few for me….and back thenyou were given a bottle of Champaign, even if you were a teenager…..thanks Rosie!. It’s a differentfishery than it was in the 80s. I’m sure his next one swim to fight another day

- - - Updated - - -

Nicestriper and congrats on your first. I see lots of mixed opinions regardingkeeping and releasing his first. I think all of us are probably guilty of keeping ourfirst. I’m guilty of having Rosie Cadman weigh in a few for me….and back thenyou were given a bottle of Champaign, even if you were a teenager…..thanks Rosie!. It’s a differentfishery than it was in the 80s. I’m sure his next one swim to fight another day

Upvote 0

BiggestT

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate

- - - Updated - - -

Only way to get an exact weight on any fish is to weigh on land using a certified scale. Then there's estimates based on much experience, which is what you're seeing here.

I posted a length weight chart here and it's based on the length from the eyebal to the fork in the tail. Based on that chart, a 200 lb stripe would have an eye-to-fork length of 7' or 84". Looking at the angler, he's average sized. He even posted that he's 200 lbs, so I'm guessing he's about 6' tall +/- 2". Looking at the photo where the marlin is positioned, there's no way you get 84" from eyeball to tail fork. The fork in the tail is about 6" above the angler's head and the eyeball is about 12" above the deck. So based on a 6' angler, that eye-to-fork length is about 78". So it's short of the 200 lb mark. There is no exceptional girth on the fish to argue otherwise.

It's a nice fish. It's bigger than any stripe I've caught, local or East Cape. I've caught more blues than stripes and they're just heftier fish across their length. I've only kept two stripes and maybe 5 blues, all mostly smoked. I'd never confuse the two as I know what to look for: blues have a shorter dorsal and shorter lower jaw. When you're towing a boat back from the East Cape with a couple 150 qt ice chests, you tend to fill them with the best eating fish and it ain't the marlin or sailfish.

Upvote 0

Marlinloco

Gyro Guy
Aug 24, 2004
San Diego
Name
Warren
Boat
Jewel Lure

- - - Updated - - -

What BiggestT said. I am estimating 190 pounds based on lots of experience. I've killed marlin before (most I wish I could take back), and I've seen a whole lot brought to the scales in both Mexico and SoCal, so call it an educated estimate.

Upvote 0

OmanGT

Apr 11, 2010
Muscat
Name
Brian Richardson
Boat
Cape North 43 Sailboat
X 3 or 4 on the smoked marlin...the very best way to eat that fish. 12" black and purple? wide range moldcraft?

Upvote 0