First LR Trip for Rod & Amy 2021

2Rotten

Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
I have done a couple of trips on the New Lo-An for bft/yft, 1.5 and 2.75 days. Nothing Long Range. Amy and I have done A Lot of fishing Mexico, Costa Rica etc. We fish Oregon a lot, have our own boat, catch hundreds of Albacore and dozens of Halibut/Salmon/Ling Cod each year. But, we have never done a trip like this! We would really like some recommendations for both boats and dates. Probably looking at a 7-day trip but not cast in stone.

• Would like a nice variety of Yellowtail, Wahoo and Tuna and hopefully plenty of action. Prefer lots of action to a few epic trophy fish
  • Not interested in reds / lings / sheepshead. We catch loads of bottom fish in Oregon
  • Do not need to focus on Cows or Supercows, 60 - 80# Tuna will make us smile
  • Prefer a somewhat limited load trip, willing to pay extra to not be crowded when the fish are nipping
  • Want a very nice stateroom for 2, nice accommodations, excellent food. I really want Amy to enjoy this trip and want to come again!
Thanks in advance for recommendations! I think we have the gear pretty well sorted out. Just need recommendations for a great trip, the right dates and a clean very nice boat.

Reactions: Fishpro

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Wahoo, your best bet is late fall. Mid October on. Bigger tuna again late fall. Yellowtail are pretty much late summer on. So I’d suggest at least 8 days if not longer. As to boat, we all have our preferences. I’d say all the long range fleet has great accommodations and food. I suggest you look at your budget and the calendar. Then see who has trips available. Look at November. As you know thing do change year to year. Welcome to our addiction.

Let em eat 74

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 12, 2016
Irvine
Name
Kevin
Boat
Whichever1is leaving
Since you are looking for limited load, a nice plush boat, and bringing the wife I’d say Intrepid. It checks all the boxes and since you want her to like it so you can go again, it would be a good choice.

Truth be told there isn't a wrong choice. Enjoy your trip.

Ralph Hammond

SeaSquatch
Aug 29, 2018
La Crescenta CA
Name
Ralph ‘Lb’ H.
Boat
Outrider-Mirage-Excel-Shogun-Endeavor
The Excel has two staterooms that have their own shower/head. Also one of the best in the business imo. Fall is best for wahoo. Find a trip and pull the trigger. Problem is, the big EX is popular so it’s hard to book. Shogun is also a great operation 100%.

RockHopperNCKA

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 25, 2017
Santa Rosa, CA
www.norcalkayakanglers.com
Name
Dustin
Boat
Do kayaks count?
Since you are looking for limited load, a nice plush boat, and bringing the wife I’d say Intrepid. It checks all the boxes and since you want her to like it so you can go again, it would be a good choice.

Truth be told there isn't a wrong choice. Enjoy your trip.
Agreed. If I was bringing my wife I’d definitely pick the Intrepid.

Reactions: 2Rotten

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
I’ve done fall 10 day trips the last several years. Some trips good wahoo, some not. For me the fall 10 days have been somewhat lacking in yellowtail. Also, if you’re wanting 60-80# tuna you’ll most likely need a trip that hits Guadalupe. Wahoo usually you need a trip to the rocks and/or ridge. A trip less than 9 or 10 days will likely not do both Guadalupe and the rocks or ridge, or if you do you’ll have short fishing windows at each. The ridge can have a lot of action on tuna, but quite a bit of it is smaller. You can have decent fishing on 20-40 pounders but the larger grade are rare unless you go later fall and hit the lower banks. Lots of action on these trips on tuna/dorado. The ridge/rocks are about 2 days each way, although you’ll probably fish some on the way back- could be yellowtail or bottom critters, possibly bluefins.
7 day trips are a little short since Cedros has been taken off the table. You could end up traveling more than fishing. Take a minimum of 8 days. It increases your chances and your fishing time.
Any of the boats are nice, and whichever you choose may be the only one you ever fish since they are all such good options and operations. I can personally recommend the Red Rooster III, Intrepid, Independence, Royal Polaris, Shogun in no particular order. I haven’t been able to get a ride on the Excel yet. As I was reading your post the Polaris Supreme came to mind. A limited load on the PS sounds like just what you’re asking for. I’ll be on the Spirit of Adventure this September, and that boat and the American Angler(which I haven’t fished yet) both have very loyal followers. Look at the boat schedules, loads, and prices and pick a trip the fits your schedule.

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Hi 2Rotten,

All the boats are effective fishing machines. Unless others have been remodeled this off-season, the boats in the best condition are the Intrepid, Spirit of Adventure and Independence. All staterooms are not the same so be selective. Check their schedules for limited load trips. 8-day trips are your minimum duration for variety. 10 days is better. Go in Aug-Sept-Oct and hope for the best. Make sure you are on a boat with Guadalupe permits so it is a destination option. Every trip is different and some are better than others, but they are all great adventures!

Enjoy,

- Jeff Burroguhs

hagridfish

Oct 21, 2008
Aurora Colorado
Name
Kevin
Boat
None
JMHO, especially bringing your better half. The Indy, American Angler, even the RP with it's remodeled rooms now. I haven't been on the Excel, but I've heard nothing but good about it. An early 10 day trip. I used to love the 10 dayers, lots of variety! Don't know about anymore with so many places being closed now. But have a blast!!!!

Reactions: 2Rotten

SCHeadhunter

Well-Known "Member"
May 22, 2006
san clemente
Name
Tom
Boat
Sold to the man with $$$
FYI, The Polaris supreme is getting new bathrooms this off season with new toilets, Flushing systems, flooring, showers etc.
New carpets and wall coverings were installed last season. She's will be in pristine condition come the start of the spring summer season,
All staterooms are 2 passenger- 12 staterooms total, each with 2 beds. No more than 24 ever on a trip with many trips at 22 or less. 2 of the staterooms have a full size beds specifically for couples.
The boat takes many couples and its a great program for them. Super friendly and helpful 7 man crew. My sister and daughter have fished many trips with me and have a great time.
There is a rear and forward shower down below and it allows the ladies to enjoy a little more privacy too. I would recommend late summer/fall for the best fishing.

Reactions: 2Rotten and Cubeye

Kenny B.

Mar 14, 2009
Petaluma
Name
Kenny
Boat
18 Boston Whaler, Intrepid
I booked my first long range trip 10 years ago on the Intrepid, a fall 8 day and have never looked back. Great variety and great group to fish with. Rooms 9&5 I believe have a wider bottom bunk. All rooms are nice and only 2 per room and the food is amazing. Im sure all the other boats are wonderful as well and would make sure to accommodate your needs. Have a great trip when you go.

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
I normally fish on the "smaller boats" in the long range fleet. American Angler and Polaris Supreme. Less people. The bigger boats carry more people and there's lots of elbow room while traveling, but when you start fishing, the stern gets crowded VERY quickly. The ride on the bigger boats is definitely better in rough weather, if that's a concern.

All the boats in the fleet have good food, service, and accommodations. All the captains are well qualified.

8 - 10 day trips in the fall for variety. Seven day trips go to the same place as a 8 day. Just one less day to fish.

One thing I have noticed on these trips. Yes, the food, service, and accommodations are important, but the crew working as a team and well organized makes a big difference when you start fishing. I went of one boat for 8 days and the crew only catered to the "regulars" and didn't even bother to remember the passengers names. Not very friendly.

$norkle

Well-Known "Member"
May 6, 2008
Corvallis,OR
Name
Bruce
Boat
In my dreams!
I normally fish on the "smaller boats" in the long range fleet. American Angler and Polaris Supreme. Less people. The bigger boats carry more people and there's lots of elbow room while traveling, but when you start fishing, the stern gets crowded VERY quickly. The ride on the bigger boats is definitely better in rough weather, if that's a concern.

All the boats in the fleet have good food, service, and accommodations. All the captains are well qualified.

8 - 10 day trips in the fall for variety. Seven day trips go to the same place as a 8 day. Just one less day to fish.

One thing I have noticed on these trips. Yes, the food, service, and accommodations are important, but the crew working as a team and well organized makes a big difference when you start fishing. I went of one boat for 8 days and the crew only catered to the "regulars" and didn't even bother to remember the passengers names. Not very friendly.
Just a small point of information: Intrepid is one of the "big boats", but only carries 24 anglers max-----there's actually far more room per angler than on the smaller boats carrying the same number.

RockHopperNCKA

Jan 25, 2017
Santa Rosa, CA
www.norcalkayakanglers.com
Name
Dustin
Boat
Do kayaks count?
I've only been on the Pac Queen, Islander, Polaris Supreme, and the Intrepid, but I'd definitely pick the Intrepid if I was bringing wifey. The food on the Intrepid is insane and, more importantly, the ride is much smoother than any of the other boats I've ever been on.

Montaukmaniac

Thats my son, not me.
Feb 8, 2011
Westchester NY
Name
Steve
Boat
miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
The Excel has two staterooms that have their own shower/head. Also one of the best in the business imo. Fall is best for wahoo. Find a trip and pull the trigger. Problem is, the big EX is popular so it’s hard to book. Shogun is also a great operation 100%.

2X ABOVE.

Oct - DEC. 10 DAYS When traveling with your better half you'll really appreciate those stateroom accommodations if you can book em. The XL is a large well laid out platform but it is a very popular one. Great opportunity to find yellowtail, Wahoo and yellowfin. You'll both love fishing Alijo's rocks and Guadalupe island (perhaps lower banks). As mentioned above, welcome to the addiction.

Tight lines to you.