arenpilav41

jjpilav
Mar 28, 2013
Encino, CA
Name
Pilav
Boat
No Boat
Pulled the trigger and decided that I'm finally going on a long range trip in 2020! I booked the Soft Steel August 8 day on the Intrepid, but i'm considering changing to an October 10 day with them instead.

What I'm looking for is variety... A shot at Wahoo, Dorado, Grouper, Tuna & Yellowtail. I will be going solo on this trip and want the ultimate fishing vacation experience.

What do you guys think? Would you prefer an 8 day over a 10? Or a 10 day over an 8? How come?

Can't wait to hear your feedback. Thank you in advance!
-Aren

Reactions: marcusmillo

Dave Coopman

May 26, 2019
Anaheim
Name
Dave Coopman
Boat
Alumacraft
If you want a good shot at hoo’ and a chance at grouper go with a 10 day. I’d also book one of the October, November time frame.

Reactions: arenpilav41

Lake

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
I always recommend the longest trip you can take. Some August and even July or earlier trips score decent wahoo, but I think you usually get a better shot in the October/November time frame. There are no guarantees on any of them, but the longer trips give you more time to try.

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
A good fisherman like yourself will do well on either trip. But I would be more open to the October trip than the August trip just because of the weather window. August/September is the time of year that you are more likely to get the tropical storms, which on either an 8-day or 10-day can force the boat off of the outer banks.

And you will have a better percentage of fishing time versus travel time on the 10-day.

If you get too much fish, remember to give me a call to drive down and take some off of your hands!

FinHunter619

May 18, 2019
San Diego
Name
Marty Parsons
Boat
VeXus AVX 1980
I agree with the earlier comments. The 8 or 10 day trips will fish the same areas, so buy the extra 2 days for more rail time. You wont be sorry you went for more days. Weather is usually better during the Oct to Nov time frame, IMO.

Last edited:

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
10 days actually doubles your time spent fishing in some cases. Go 10 if it works for you, and you'll be happy with the Intrepid. Congrats.

solid72

"Fishhard"
Aug 27, 2010
Torrance, Ca
Name
Dave
Boat
Some day. I'll hustle to fish on yours.
Do the 10 day. To me the fall 10 day trips have always been the best for variety. Do it and just relax. I miss those trips.

Fishizelle

Apr 26, 2014
Name
Steve
Boat
Super Fishal
I did my first LR last year which was a 7 day on the Vagabond. It was great fishing but realized it is not my thing. The travel time was not bad considering the length of the trip. We only wasted 1 day on the way down and half a day on the way back up. We pretty much fished the whole way back up. Even the last morning we had the best yt yoyo fishing I have ever experienced. I could not imagine doing 10 days or more.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
I did my first LR last year which was a 7 day on the Vagabond. It was great fishing but realized it is not my thing. The travel time was not bad considering the length of the trip. We only wasted 1 day on the way down and half a day on the way back up. We pretty much fished the whole way back up. Even the last morning we had the best yt yoyo fishing I have ever experienced. I could not imagine doing 10 days or more.
Steve,

What was it about the longer trip that did not sit well with you?

What type of trip do you prefer and why? Just curiosity on my part.

Fishizelle

Apr 26, 2014
Name
Steve
Boat
Super Fishal
Travel time felt like forever at the time but looking back it was not bad. A lot of different personalities on the boat which you could see and feel tension from others as the trip progressed. Personally I did not have a problem with anyone and actually got along fine with the rude boys. On the 5th day I was ready to sleep in my own bed.

With the longer trips the travel time is even greater which I have no interest in partaking. I mainly fish private for 1-1.5. In and out usually with the target species acquired.

Last edited:

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
bobsandsfishingtackle.com
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Aren,

Check with Sal about October 2020 or come with us on the Gallagher charter on the Excel 2020. It would be great to fish with you since I have known you now for so long...

Jamie

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Travel time felt like forever at the time but looking back it was not bad. A lot of different personalities on the boat which you could see and feel tension from others as the trip progressed. Personally I did not have a problem with anyone and actually got along fine with the rude boys. On the 5th day I was ready to sleep in my own bed.

With the longer trips the travel time is even greater which I have no interest in partaking. I mainly fish private for 1-1.5. In and out usually with the target species acquired.

The social aspect of a longer trip can be a blessing or a curse. I have mostly found it to be a blessing. Met a lot of very interesting folks. Generally the longer trips have lighter loads and carry more relaxed anglers so there are fewer problem children to deal with.

Straight travel days can be torture at times if you have nothing to do. I keep busy practicing knots, talking with passengers and crew, reading and enjoying time on the water. On a fall 10 day the extra range gives you that much more opportunity to disconnect from the world and find the fish, wherever they might be at the time. And since I only go once a year I go long or stay home.

arenpilav41

jjpilav
Mar 28, 2013
Encino, CA
Name
Pilav
Boat
No Boat
Aren,

Check with Sal about October 2020 or come with us on the Gallagher charter on the Excel 2020. It would be great to fish with you since I have known you now for so long...

Jamie
Jamie,
I didn't even realize that there could be room on that trip!
I'm planning on stopping by at the shop saturday and will talk to Sal. I would love to get on a trip with you and the rest of the gang!
Hope your doing well! Glad to hear from you!
-Aren

Reactions: Steve K and RichG