First Long Range Trip

Spiff2

Jan 29, 2007
Greenville,SC
Name
Gary
Boat
none
I am finally pulling the trigger an coming from South Carolina for my 1st long range trip. I have been doing research on the web and checking Bloodydecks for making my plans. Here is what I've decided and you guys can tell me if I've made any mistakes.

I will be going on the Polaris Supreme Oct 7-14 to Alijos Rocks. The reason for that is I was told the farther south the bigger the fish. 7 Days was all I could get away with. I'm staying at the Dolphin Motel the night before and the night we get in. All I need is a box with a bed in it and walk across the street to the boat.

Fish Processing. I have read good and bad about them all. Some of you guys swear by World Famous Smoked Fish so for the price I think that is who I will call. We get in from fishing the 14th and I fly out on the 15th so I will be asking them to process, freeze and ship the fish to SC for me.

So there it is. Any comments?

captainpound

Cow Town Addict
Sep 17, 2004
Chula Vista/La Cruz
Name
Peter
Boat
32' Blackfin "Maya", 23' Neptune "Captain Pound"
And remember if you have to much fish and you don't want to pay for all those fillet and shipping charges, you could allways leave some of your catch with me here in San Diego. I'll even drive down to the dock Sunday morning and take it off your hands right when you get off the boat.

MacAttack

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 1, 2005
Name
Boat
Yes - I have three words of advice for your trip: I Hate You. :finger:

spike

Mar 6, 2006
San Clemente CA
Name
Spike Ivins
Boat
any chance I get
Really the only thing that your trip will require is for you to show up. All of the Long Range boats have more than enough tackle than you will need and can supply you during your trip. I would go over the tackle recomendations that the Polaris will mail you and make sure that you are some what prepared arriving to the dock.

If all things work out the way they should wahoo and YFT should be the boats prime targets. I always hope for smooth sailing and everything else works itself out. Do not be afraid to ask the crew questions during your trip, you are paying them as your guides to service you to the fullest. Good Luck and safe travels.

thenine

Mar 23, 2007
temecula
Name
thenine
Boat
boat ho
I am in a similar situation. Going on the same boat (5 day) leaving Sept 22. I have the same questions about shipping the catch back to Portland Oregon. Please chime in if you have done this before. Since booking the trip I have been slowly acquiring gear with some excellent recommendations here and a few other boards. Particularly Jeff (Holi-e-Mackeral) has been terrific helping me.

So far I have:

25lb Calstar 870/Newell 332
40lb Graphiter 765XL/
50lb Graphiter 765L/Penn YTS (upgrade accurate frame)

Seaguar fluoro spools of each line listed above
ringed hooks (J and circle) sizes 2/0 thru 5/0
10 Salas 6X jr
6 Sumo Iron Man (glow backs)
assorted P-Line trolling lures
gloves, and deck boots
need a rod case to transport on airplane

What am I missing?

thank you BD'ers

john

faust858

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 12, 2005
San Diego
Name
Nelson
Boat
none
Sounds like it will be a great trip. I have read that the boat trip down can be pretty rough. Better take or have some sea sickness items with you, I usually take Meclizine the ingredient in Bonine. I start taking them a few days before the trip to get some in my system. Never vomited on a boat before, but not taking the chance too either. Hope you slay them and have fun.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Excellent choice for the boat. Supreme does a great job, one of the best. Not so sure about shipping from World Famous as others have had some problems. Why not see about just taking it with you on the plane. He can freeze it for you and has waxed cardboard boxes for sale.

An alternative might be to have Mario's or Five Star take care of it for you.

divegod1

AKA "unidentified angler"
Jan 24, 2007
HOT!
Name
Michael
Boat
next one i'm on...
If either of you is leaving the next day, you might think about freezing your catch overnight then packing it in a good cooler and checking it as baggage.
Remember if you have fish shipped home its overnight, and it gets REALLY EXPENSIVE it makes excess baggage fares look cheap by comparison. 18 hours in a freezer and packed in those walmart heavyduty 2.5'' thick styrafoam coolers should get you home just fine. Especially if its a direct flight. You can use the $$$ you save to tip the crew.
Just my .02
MMM

thenine

Mar 23, 2007
temecula
Name
thenine
Boat
boat ho
Thanks guys but I am feeling resistant to sending it home via checked baggage. We will already have a full complement of gear, poles, tackle, clothes. Likely no access to freezers the night we disembark etc. Also when we land, I wanna grab my stuff and get home. Anybody fed ex'ed their catch home?

Scott Diego

Nov 13, 2006
San Diego
Name
Scott
Boat
Parker 2320
Personally I have never had to deal with taking my rods on a plane (as I live 10 min from the dock), but in reality the boat has high quality loaner gear that might be a better option if you dont want to deal with all the hassle. I have used it and the crew has everything rigged up perfect. (spectra etc...) I did notice that on my trip to Alijos that the guys using flouro were getting bit a bit more. -The supreme does not have flouro on the boat so bring it if you want it. I have fished with those guys tons and they are all quality people and I always have fun on that boat. Tommy, Drew, and the crew have been doing this thier whole lives and I my opinion are some of the most knowledgeable fishermen in the country, they are rolemodels to me and will always lend a hand or give advice if asked. As an aside, I didnt read this thread that clearly but I would reccomend getting a fighting belt if you do not already have one. After catching a couple big yellowfin consecutively with the rod under your arm you will be way more tired than if you had a belt. (just my $.02) I have a cheaper 'ninja' belt, but some guys like the smitty belts if you hook a fish over 120. You will probably get into a pretty good wahoo bite so wire is a must, you can either get the sevenstrand or single strand, they have crimps you can borrow on the boat. Regarding trolling stuff -just use the boat gear, they always have the right stuff rigged up and it is one less rod/reel you have to carry, clean, and spool. The trip to Alijos is also pretty far by boat so bring some items that will help you pass the time... nothing will make you more popular than bringing new DVDs as the crew has probably seen every movie 20 times. Cards, poker chips, dollar bills, etc.. are always good. I brought my laptop and was able to edit and show all the pics I took on my digital camera that day after dinner (plus get some work done and entertain the deckhands during watches).

I am sure you guys will have a blast... and hopefully the big yellowfin will be biting.

-Scott

Here are a couple pics from my last trip on the Polaris Supreme

Free-gaffed Mako shark... which was then masterfully prepared by chef Javier for dinner the next night. I had never had Mako up till then, it was fantastic.

Fishious

Jan 26, 2006
Anaheim Hills, California
Name
Don
Boat
Hole In The Water $$$
Whate Steve K said. I've used all the processers, and World Famous would be my first choice for cost and last for dependability.

StillinScrubs

Wahoo love me
Aug 30, 2005
Ft. Lauderdale/Miami
Name
Scott
Boat
Charon's skiff
Ask lots of questions. Those guys (both crew and regulars) have tons of information to offer and want you to catch fish and lots of them.

Post pictures.

Scrubs

Unforgiven1

It's All About The Tuna
Advertiser
Apr 7, 2004
Redondo Beach, California
Name
Drew
Boat
UnforgiveN- Blackfin 29' FB Volvo Kamd 300's
5 Star first, Mario's second, World Famous never.....ever

biglou

Jul 14, 2006
GARDENA
Name
LOUIS NORDORF
Boat
NONE
chk out five star for your fish processing gear coming that far rent it

bassfishman

Nov 26, 2005
Fremont
Name
Chip
Boat
19' Ranger Bass Boat
Youre gonna have a great trip on the Polaris Supreme in Oct. My first long range was also on the Polaris Supreme in Oct and we caught a really good mix of fish including a WFO dorado bite that we still talk about. Most of the yellowfin were in the 40# range. Weather was great. Great boat and crew. I heard Javier isnt on the PS any longer though - too bad - he's a great chef. And for fish processing go with Mike at World Famous.

falconer

Aug 17, 2006
Spokane, Washington
Name
Doug Pineo
Boat
16 foot 1955 Crestliner
My first trip was on the Polaris Supreme in '95, back before it was standard for these boats to use RSW for holding passengers' fish. I brought my fish home in a 90 quart cooler, frozen on the boat. The last two trips have been in '05 and '06, charters on the Shogun. I used Five Star as recommended by lots of the guys on the boat and at the landing. I had my YFT and Yellowtail processed and air freighted home here to Spokane, no problems, and the weights were good yield. To me, it's worth it to have excellent table fare all year long. You're going on a super boat, and the fall 7-10 day trips to the Rocks are often called the best value in San Diego long range fishing. Tommy Rothery knows his business. You'll have a blast, but be warned, you'll be gut-hooked! Next thing you'll be buying gear just for this fishery. We've never had trouble flying down with 7 foot rods, and recent posts on Bloodydecks indicate even 8 foot rods are no problem. Check with the airline before hand, and bring a copy of their baggage rules as posted on their web site in case you get any crap at the baggage counter.

Spiff2

Jan 29, 2007
Greenville,SC
Name
Gary
Boat
none
I want to thank everyone for the information and advice. I have a couple of the rod and reel setups needed for the trip but I'm not planning on lugging those across country. A plus for the Polaris Supreme is that they have "Loaner" rigs and all you pay is $10 to spool them at the beginning of the trip. I think that will be 4 different setups and I'm pretty sure they said it included rod belts. I think that in itself will be a savings of $300 dollars from looking at other boat rental prices.

However I have a suitcase full of hooks, swivels and heavy iron that I have collected for this trip. I hate that I have to put it in check baggage but its my understanding that you can't bring hooks and large lures as carry on. I will be awful disappointed if I make it to San Deigo and my hooks make it to Kansas.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Gary, an option on your tacle is to bring your own reels and borrow rods from the boat. Give Susan a call and ask what kind of reels they have for loaners. Ask to have Tommy give you a call and speak with him personally. Also tell him what kind of and amount of terminal tackle you're planning on bringing and he may be able to help you trim that down, too. Except for a few bombs and jigs for the Wahoo and some yoyo iron, you'll be fine with a couple of handfulls of hooks. Maybe you can trim the suitcase down to an attache.;)

Iron thrower

Apr 20, 2006
palm desert ca
Name
Ray
Boat
none
Gary, if your really worried, why not find out the cost to send it either UPS or FX. Weigh it an call for rates. The landing ( boats office) will be more then happy to store it till you arrive. Arrange to have it shipped back or bring it back with you. Just make sure you inform the landing if its being shipped to them. Enjoy your trip and be prepared to be hooked into LR fishing.

Ray

FLLR1

Jan 30, 2006
Florida
Name
LT
Boat
Boston Whaler
If you were picking up your fish from World Famous--Maybe. I would not use them to have your fish shipped. Go with Five Star. It is mor expensive, but you will get your fish when promised. I have mine shipped to Florida and by far Five Star has been the best for shipping.

LT

Phil

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 5, 2006
Mississippi
Name
Phil
Boat
n/a
Gary,

Congratulations!! You are going to enjoy the experience.

I have travelled to San Diego annually for a fall long-range trip since 1998 - also from the East Coast. There is alot of great advice already given, but I thought I'd give my 2 cents worth.

Call the boat and arrange to use their gear - if you want to bring a couple outfits no problem. I would not go to a great deal of trouble with tackle either. Like Steve K. said, talk with Tommy and see what you will really need. The first trip will be a real learning experience and you'll have a much better idea what to bring the next year!!!

I have my fished processed and shipped back to me frozen. The processors use airfreight and it is not that expensive. Can't speak either way about World Famous as I've never used them, but I have used Five Star and Mario and both have been great. They are quite accustomed to your situation and you will have no problems. Let them know exactly what you want and they'll take care of it.

Good luck on your trip. Don't forget to take some time and enjoy the overall experience. A long range trip is really more than putting a few fish in the hold!!! Take plenty of photos and share them with your buddies back east. We need to get more guys from the East (and South) to get on the plane and enjoy the San Diego fleet.

Phil