First Long Range - Newb questions

Fullboat

Apr 12, 2021
California
Name
Matt
Boat
Someday...
Hey guys. First post so bear with me. The last time I fished for tuna was about 15 years ago when it was pretty much all albacore. Then family and life took priority over fishing, and now I’m finally ready to get back at it. The longest trip I did was 1.5 days.

I figured I’d jump on a longer range trip next summer but was floored to see almost all trips booked up. Luckily, a 5 day opened up on the Polaris Supreme and I pulled the trigger.

I’ve researched old threads in preparation, but still have a few questions. My searching skills suck, so please link me the threads if my questions have already been discussed.

First question, Guadalupe island… boat has permits and I understand there is additional costs involved if we fish the island. Is it captains choice? I have no problem paying more but what if others aren’t too keen on it? It’s an open party trip so I’m hoping it’s not an issue.

Second question… Is there secure parking at Seaforth? I feel like vehicles are sitting ducks at the big landings and was hoping there are other options.

Third and last question (I think lol). For those familiar with the PS, what are your choices for best staterooms?

Thanks in advance for any replies, and for all the info I’ve learned reading through past threads. Hopefully the next few months until next summer won’t be too much torture while I think about this trip for hours a day getting excited.

<‘){{{~<

Reactions: repo805

TOTW

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Congrats on starting the addiction! I have not been on the PS for several years, so I am not the best to give advice on staterooms, etc. And parking at any of the landings is a bit of a crap shoot. It's free, at least, at Seaforth. I always try to get dropped off regardless of where I'm leaving from.
A five day in the summer may try for Guadalupe but it's sharky then and you won't have much time to fish if that ends up being the destination--you have to check in to Ensenada coming and going--and then take a detour into SD bay on the way back for US Customs. This takes significant bite out of your actual fishing time.
The PS has done well in its ownership transition and regardless of where you end up, you should have a great trip.
One other consideration for next year, don't be afraid to get on a waitlist. Spots open up all the time on fully booked trips, and you have a great chance of getting on one. A lot of the 10-day fall runs this year had a return to form on variety fishing which would really give you the full long-range experience.

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
Hey guys. First post so bear with me. The last time I fished for tuna was about 15 years ago when it was pretty much all albacore. Then family and life took priority over fishing, and now I’m finally ready to get back at it. The longest trip I did was 1.5 days.

I figured I’d jump on a longer range trip next summer but was floored to see almost all trips booked up. Luckily, a 5 day opened up on the Polaris Supreme and I pulled the trigger.

I’ve researched old threads in preparation, but still have a few questions. My searching skills suck, so please link me the threads if my questions have already been discussed.

First question, Guadalupe island… boat has permits and I understand there is additional costs involved if we fish the island. Is it captains choice? I have no problem paying more but what if others aren’t too keen on it? It’s an open party trip so I’m hoping it’s not an issue.

Second question… Is there secure parking at Seaforth? I feel like vehicles are sitting ducks at the big landings and was hoping there are other options.

Third and last question (I think lol). For those familiar with the PS, what are your choices for best staterooms?

Thanks in advance for any replies, and for all the info I’ve learned reading through past threads. Hopefully the next few months until next summer won’t be too much torture while I think about this trip for hours a day getting excited.

<‘){{{~<
Due to going through customs in Ensenada, a 5 day will probably not fish Guadalupe, you would only have a little over 2 days to fish there at best. Probably will target bluefin.

Reactions: Juanba and bob1825
Upvote 0

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    Did a 5-day to Guadalupe in 2017 (https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/6-13-6-18-2017-alan-tani-soa-charter-to-guadalupe.659085/) so time-wise it is not out of the question if the skipper thinks fishing is worthwhile, and the majority of the boat agrees. But with the new fees since, budget another $500 to the trip to be on the "safe" side financially.

Parking for 5-days plus overnight is always an iffy proposition; I always have the empty interior of my vehicle as visibly open as possible so that it is clear that there is nothing inside that's worth their time to break into my vehicle for.

Upvote 0

JHJ32883

Almost A Member
    May 4, 2008
    San Diego, CA USA
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    N/A
    1. Hit up Lindsay at the the office for more definitive information. Depends on when your trip is and where the fish are. I was on an open party trip August of this year and the decision of where we are fishing was already made when we checked in.

2. I have parked in Seaforth's parking lot, for many years, without any issues. That being said, I do not leave anything visible in my car that you can see from the outside.

3. Hit up Lindsay as she can tell you what staterooms are already taken and gve you advice on which are "the best". There are two staterooms on the deck level. Down below, there are two staterooms in the forward section of the boat while the remaining staterooms are aft (they are separated by two different sets of stairs. Below is the link to their map.