Inshore First Halibut of the Summer...

bd-team

Writer BD Outdoors
BD Writer
Apr 7, 2021
I fished La Jolla just before the last full moon. Plenty of kayakers, boaters and sport boats on the water. Hooting and hollering was short lived when it became apparent the calicos were on the chew.

Seven hours later, at the bottom of the tide, I found myself near a cluster of stored waypoints on my fish finder. I wanted to end my
day, but something told me to keep fishing. Especially since each one of my waypoints had a private boater anchored over them. Not to
mention two kayaks with free divers hovering above them as well.

Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 10.31.54 AM.png

I drifted in and around the waypoints dragging a dropper loop with a live greenie. I got hit twice still thinking the calicos were robbing me.
With my last bait, I gave it a go again and hooked up a nice halibut.

a.png

It was belly hooked. After thinking about losing my two baits earlier, I believe the halibut were short biting when I found them. That explains losing two greenies, and the belly-hooking of my fish. Since short biting halibut love to swim around with tail-bitten bait fish, my last greenie--with its tail in the halibut's mouth--must have turned towards the halibut's belly and
somehow got the hook I put through its nose, into the halibut.

DD.png

I rather be lucky...

Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 9.40.23 AM.png

Halibut food?
A gathering of halibut lovers came over for a Bbq. I created skewers of halibut kebobs with quartered onions and mushrooms. The skewers
were stick-like branches from my rosemary bush. Yummy!

Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 10.32.59 AM.png

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    "I'd rather be lucky than good. But if you're both, watch out!"
    -- Chick Hearn

Congrats on a nice flattie!