Hellosugaree

Would you like to see my member
Sep 6, 2019
San Francisco
Name
Timbo
Boat
13' Boston Whaler
Mudhole kit came in end of last week I got to work. 1 down. 8 to go. I think it looks pretty good for a first shot. I maybe went a little overboard with the underwrap but it was good practice. I used size A thread for underwrap and guide wrap. Already the prettiest rod I own and I've barely started it.

I can't wait to finish the rest and epoxy it.

20200407_105447.jpg

20200407_105512.jpg

onlyfishn

Fisherman or Fool
Jan 16, 2008
burbank
Name
calicoslayer
Boat
none
1 day down, 8 days left to goLOLLOLLOLLOL. Looks good, keep it up then unwrap just to do it again cz you don’t like the way 1 color looks once you put epoxy on.

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
Dec 28, 2017
Lake Los Angeles, CA
Name
Hector Garcia
Boat
I need a ride.
Looks good, but thats going to be tough to do on every guide, good luck.especially if you dont keep track of how many wraps each thread took.

Also, the base wrap looks a little long to me. You have to be careful once you get to the top guides, because the guides are going to be about 3-4-5 inches apart from each other. And that wrap looks like it took 4 inches to make. So, you might have to make the top wraps simpler.

Hellosugaree

Sep 6, 2019
San Francisco
Name
Timbo
Boat
13' Boston Whaler
Looks good, but thats going to be tough to do on every guide, good luck.especially if you dont keep track of how many wraps each thread took.

Also, the base wrap looks a little long to me. You have to be careful once you get to the top guides, because the guides are going to be about 3-4-5 inches apart from each other. And that wrap looks like it took 4 inches to make. So, you might have to make the top wraps simpler.
Yeah I'm definitely going to do a simpler/shorter pattern on the upper guides. I'll scale the underwrap down per the size of the guides until it's basically a hair past the guide wraps on the smallest guides.

Reactions: Hector Garcia

Hellosugaree

Sep 6, 2019
San Francisco
Name
Timbo
Boat
13' Boston Whaler
1 day down, 8 days left to goLOLLOLLOLLOL. Looks good, keep it up then unwrap just to do it again cz you don’t like the way 1 color looks once you put epoxy on.
All the better. Something to keep me busy while stuck at home.

jg125

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 18, 2011
Phila Pa. Cape May, Nj USA
Name
Jay
Boat
2004 Proline 33 WA
Look great for your first you will come into your own technique on under wraps depending on the length of the guides you are using

Johnlgarrison

The ultimate goal is memories not dreams.
Jul 27, 2009
Temecula CA USA!
www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
Name
Johnny Garrison
Boat
Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
Great job welcome to the addiction. Don’t let anyone’s opinion of your work sway how you build your rods. The best part of building your rods they are exactly that YOUR RODS. I have a bunch of rods I have built during the quarantine and a bunch more to finish

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white

Exactly what i thought when i saw it.Nice work so far.

Hellosugaree

Sep 6, 2019
San Francisco
Name
Timbo
Boat
13' Boston Whaler
That’s rad
Well done. I’m still on the back and forth if I want to start another addiction.
Coronavirus is the perfect excuse. Do it!

Honestly it's not a huge investment even if you try it once. I got a mudhole kit that included all the tools plus a blank and components for the first build. The kit was $200 and the blank alone retails for over $100. The only thing I bought extra was a handful of threads for the colors I wanted and they're only 3 bucks a spool.

Life is too short to not have way too many hobbies.

mikek

Jul 21, 2009
Florida
Name
Mike
Boat
Scout 162
Very nice looking wraps, clean and tight! Not to be a smarta$$ . . . well maybe a little :-) , did you take the second picture from the same side of the rod as the first?

Nirvana

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 20, 2010
Sequim, WA USA
Name
Grant Darby
Boat
Which one?
#2 is perfect.....I would never, never, ever post a pic of my second guide wrap.................or the 10th for that matter!! You got it under control!

Reactions: Hellosugaree

Hellosugaree

Sep 6, 2019
San Francisco
Name
Timbo
Boat
13' Boston Whaler
Very nice looking wraps, clean and tight! Not to be a smarta$$ . . . well maybe a little :-) , did you take the second picture from the same side of the rod as the first?
If you're asking about whether or not I put the second guide on backwards, no. The rod is facing the opposite direction in the photo.

I could definitely see that happening though. I've definitely had a couple DOH moments already... finishing a wrap and realizing I missed a band, then restarting it and doing the exact same thing again, severing my main thread mid wrap while trying to burn fuzzies off the wrap, doing a whole underwrap only to realize my guide measurement was off by half and inch, putting my pullthrough in backwards.

Honestly I'm making more stupid mistakes as I get better because I'm going faster now and getting complacent. Not a huge deal though. Any extra work I do as a result is bonus practice.

Overall I'm beyond pleased at how it's turning out.

mikek

Jul 21, 2009
Florida
Name
Mike
Boat
Scout 162
;)

I've made many a rod with 15-20 guide wraps but only 7 or 8 guides. Keep good records of components, colors and patterns.

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
Nov 11, 2007
Baja Sur, MX
Name
Bill Burkett
Boat
22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
If you're asking about whether or not I put the second guide on backwards, no. The rod is facing the opposite direction in the photo.

I could definitely see that happening though. I've definitely had a couple DOH moments already... finishing a wrap and realizing I missed a band, then restarting it and doing the exact same thing again, severing my main thread mid wrap while trying to burn fuzzies off the wrap, doing a whole underwrap only to realize my guide measurement was off by half and inch, putting my pullthrough in backwards.

Honestly I'm making more stupid mistakes as I get better because I'm going faster now and getting complacent. Not a huge deal though. Any extra work I do as a result is bonus practice.

Overall I'm beyond pleased at how it's turning out.
You have exactly the right attitude. No better way to learn then by making mistakes.

Bien Machin

Feb 19, 2019
North las vegas
Name
Jonathan U
Boat
SS Minnow
Can anyone explain to me if there needs to be an underlay wrap ? Does it make the guide stronger. Is it only for saltwater rods idk? Any helps thanks and sorry for taking over the thread.

SouthBayKiller

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Can anyone explain to me if there needs to be an underlay wrap ? Does it make the guide stronger. Is it only for saltwater rods idk? Any helps thanks and sorry for taking over the thread.
Some will say yes, some will say not. Generally speaking they are more for decor than function.

Reactions: Bien Machin

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
Dec 28, 2017
Lake Los Angeles, CA
Name
Hector Garcia
Boat
I need a ride.
It works better on heavy rods that take heavy drag. Its so the guide foot doesnt dig into the blank under high drag and cause problems. Overall, its decorative.