First Fish of 2011

Discussion in 'Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming reports' started by MeCrankMate, Jan 6, 2011.

1. MeCrankMate

MeCrankMate TheLegendOfTheLuckyScale

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Float Tube "Shark Dougnut"
    Today was my only day to hit up some of my local spots since the new year and I only had a small window to get it done. Bundled up the boy and we headed out into a sunny 28 degree day. We also had a separate mission apart from fishing today, bring some trash bags and try and pick up some of the crap that other careless fisherman have the habit of leaving behind (and by careless I mean stupid and inconsiderate). Before fishing even got started, almost a whole shopping bag of styrofoam worm containers and Ice House tall boys was picked up in two spots of looking. Pretty sad that there is so little respect for this wonderful gift that is right in our own back yards. Water levels are up due to the release of water from Lucky Peak Res so the water was big this afternoon and there was a decent amout of debris looking to find a new winter home. This, of course, means the fish are out doing the same. Last years weapon, the infamous Gold Phoebe, was riding higher in the water column with the increase in flow and wasn't in the target range of where I wanted her, so switched it up to a Lazer Eye minnow for some depth. What happened on the 2nd cast was close to impossible.... Fish hits in deep water, strongest part of the current. Big head shakes, a blistering run down stream, a massive breach 20+ yrds from where he was hooked. I'm shaking at this point... it's a big one, don't horse it. My sons on the bank above going nuts, "calm down dude, you're gonna fall in kiddo, stay up there and tell me when you see the fishy." 40 yrds out now, approaching a huge draw to a down stream run, this is getting scary. Another breach, tail in the air, 3 ft from the draw of the white water, if he goes I'm screwed. Palm the drag and pray to turn him around in time... NO WAY!! Got em turned and headed towards the opposite shore, smoother water, less current. Making up room now, back to 20 yrds out. Back into the big water, another couple runs, but he's tired now. Back and forth, up and down... please God, no line fatigue. Got him workin' towards me, comin' up through the eddy. 5 ft out now, gotta do this right. PAY DAY, my hands are shaking and I hear Logan, "Daddy, I see the fishy!!! Whoa!!! Cool!!!" Yeah, way cool. We called it after that, mission accomplished for one day. Got a couple of bags of trash picked up from one of my favorite spots to fish, and wound up with one hell of a fish for the effort. After the 15+ min fight on 2 lb the fish didn't want to go back home, so I offered him a place to stay. Would usually let one like this go, but damn, times are tough and didn't look like he was gonna swim off on his own so he'll have the place of honor at the dinner table tonight. Wish I would have had my waders on... might have been a different story with the release. Fish measured out at 22"L x 6.5"W and weighed in at just over 4.75 lbs on my rusty rapala spring scale. This is the biggest rainbow I have caught on the Boise since moving here. and in the dead of winter no less. Here's the pics...
    011.jpg

010.jpg

009.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

2. yot_fish

yot_fish Newbie

Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    Hobie PA 14
    Sick fish....

3. m_mcgourty

m_mcgourty Handsome Devil

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    14'Gregor and XFactor
    They sure don't look like that in the lakes around here...

4. MeCrankMate

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    I've never seen such beautiful trout in my life save for a few nice Cutthroat and large native rainbows in the Eastern Sierras. So wierd to catch so many native trout on a body of water and MAYBE catch a definable stocker, and even the stockers fight hard and don't look beat up, just different colors. Every once in a while a stocker will have the front two fins a little rounded, but you don't know it's a stocker by the fight of it, not until you see it. A 5 lb rainbow or brown on the river is the equal to a DD trout on steroids in a lake or pond... it's a knock down drag out fight to the end.

5. DaveR

DaveR Newbie

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    28' Skipjack
    Nice... what a beauty. :boobies:

In comparison it's funny here in SoCal that we have guys catching hatchery-raised fish in local pay-to-fish "lakes" (really ponds) and they post pics too... :rofl:

6. Derfsondeck

Derfsondeck DUMBASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:
    Fred
    Boat:
    Poopshoot
    Man what a gorgeous fish.

7. MeCrankMate

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Yup... that used to be me. I hit those lakes from time to time, although Big Bear was my lake to choice. I threw my hat in that ring earlier... and I take back what I said. The act of fishing remains the same no matter where you are getting you line wet, regardless of what the target species is. The stoke of pulling on a fish, even at LNL or SARL, is still the same if you are a true fisherman. These are beautiful fish up here and I am blessed, but no better than anyone else on the forum regardless of what the catch is. Fun is fun, fish are fish. Or is it fish are food? Either way...

8. DaveR

DaveR Newbie

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    28' Skipjack
    Yeah, whatever... so you sure that's a 'bow? Interesting colors

9. MeCrankMate

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    It's a rainbow in winter colors... they start to get real dark this time of year when the ice is around the banks and the trees are bare. In summer/fall they lighten up a lot and get silver, but the red on the fins, cheeck, and sides stay pretty much year long. I know what you mean, looks like a hybrid Cutbow, but I've seen Cutbows and they look different. Also, the fingerlings go through the same changes. According to the DFG website the stocked rainbow species are a Kamloop breed. I'm sure it's not a pure rainbow by any means, but probably not mixed with a Cutthroat. Come spring and summer they'll look much more like we're used to seeing.
    Also, the river they are caught in (elevation and food supply) also dictates the color. This rainbow of pretty much the same size was caught an hour North of here, but during fall.
    CIMG1057.jpg
    This time of year the same fish would look a lot like the one I caught yesterday.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  10. chefboom

chefboom Newbie

Name:
    Bryan
    Boat:
    20 hydra sport pay raze
    One of the most beautiful Rainbows I've ever seen! I have never caught a Bow that big but have a few browns over 22" caught up in Oregon. I have a real good buddy that lives up in Boise whom I fished with this summer and had a blast up near Idaho City, can't wait to get back up there. One question I have, what rod and reel are you using?
    Tight Lines
    B

11. MeCrankMate

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    9' Phenix Elixir series 2-8 lb rod and a Shimano Symetre 2500 spooled with 2# Pline CX Premium.... best set up I've ever had.

12. MeCrankMate

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Funny thing happened today... went fishing and the lure that I caught this fish on broke!! The body detached from the lip and all I got back was the ring and the plastic lip!! So glad that didn't happen while I was fighting the fish.... I only used that lure like 2 times prior with no caught fish. Sucks!!!

13. Bill A

Bill A Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    16 foot skiff
    You are having an experience like I did twenty years ago when I moved to Oregon from Southern Calif.. Prior to moving, my personal best trout was A 7lb. hatchery trout from June Lake with a stubby little tail from the hatchery. Besides that I would have to fish Irvine Lake and catch stubby tailed hatchery trout that taste like shit because they were raised on trout pellets.
    Now you are finally in a place where there is a nice variety of lightly fished water where bigger naturally grown trout are available. I was like a kid in a candy store. All of a sudden you are seeing larger and larger trout. It changes your point of reference quite a bit.
    I've caught dolly vardens ( bull trout ) up to twelve and a half pounds, and browns up to ten and a half. Not trying to brag, but you lose track of the four and five pounders.
    Good going picking up the garbage and enjoy your new home.

14. MeCrankMate

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Kid in a candy store is a great way to put it... seems like it just gets better!!! This next year is going to be epic, gonna hit some legendary streams and resevoirs this year and have high hopes.

15. Bill A

Bill A Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    16 foot skiff
    Start fishing Much Larger plugs with heavier line and be prepared to be blown away.

16. BakerStBobby2

BakerStBobby2 GET BIT

Name:
    Bobby Gowin
    Boat:
    nope...
    That'll do, i guess...hehehhe NICE GERMANIAN!!!
    Bobby~

17. maddox51

maddox51 Newbie

Name:
    kevin maddox
    Boat:
    none
  18. BOATSODA

BOATSODA Team Boat Soda

Name:
    ERIC
    Boat:
    17' Boston Whaler Montauk "GIGSTICK"
    :hali_olutta::hali_olutta:Sounds like when you boat a Dodo on a jig and lay it on the deck and they go apeshit....Alot of times they beat down an iron pretty good. I've seen jigs break at the top and you only have the ring in which you tie onto....

19. Albacrazy

Albacrazy NUCKIN FUTS 4 2NA

Name:
    Drew
    Boat:
    18' Coleman
    Man the colorings on that fish are insane. Never seen one with the white markings on the anal fins like that. I've only seen those on Brookies

20. Gaji Lures

Gaji Lures Member

Name:
    Allan
    AWESOME Job Scott!!!!!

Having just moved from Hawaii 9 months ago, I recently posted a thread on the Fresh Water Fly Fishing forum... I have received advice from so many people too!

I am however, in a dilema as to what type of set up to purchase, that I am soo confused at the moment. 5-6 weight 6-7 weight set up etc.???

I too live in Meridian and don't really know wher to start... Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks for the great post Scott and thanks for doing your part in keeping our the areas around Boise, neat and clean!!!! Great dad to be teaching your youngster the ropes of future fishing and conservation!

Allan