First ever Tuna trip EPIC!! 2.5 Pacific Dawn Oct. 23-26

_o.c.g_

Nov 7, 2018
Ssf
Name
OSCAR GARCIA
Boat
OSCAR GARCIA
If this is Tuna fishing, i just became addicted. Day 1, kind if slow, a few bft caught in the am fly lining in the 40-50lbs range, but then a few big ones on the kite. Drove around most of the day looking, at this point, havent caught anything, i figured at least the food was bomb, we had blueberry pancakes, eggs, sausage, potatoes, croissants, and jerk chicken for lunch. When dinner was starting around 7pm, the capt. Rolled up on what looked like a decent school on the radar, he said drop the flat falls!!!! I had a 320 gram Glow striped nomad flat fall with 200lbs mono leader rigged to my phenix axis 40-100Lbs rod with a accurate bv-2 800N, 80lbs braid. Me being a rookie, i tied a bad connection knot to my crimped flat fall rig, so right on my first drip BOOM i got hit and it just took my lure right away!!! Crap!! I ran to my bag and tied a SD jam on to my pre rigged (crimped) 300g pink/green nomad glow flat fall, at this point everyone is hooking up, the deck hands are too busy to deal with a rook like me, they are gaffing fish that each required 4 of them because every fish being brought on board was in the 100-200lbs plus range!!! Even the cook had to run out and help gaff!!! So i tied my own rig as quick as I could, and sure enough, on my first drop, BOOM!!! Got on my first ever blue fin, i fought that thing for about 25-30 minutes before i got it in the boat, my arms where shaking, but there it was, in all its bloody glory, my 165lbs blue fin tuna. They where just coming in hot left and right, i took a break to soak in the massacre and talk smack with my new found friends. After about 30 minutes and a few shots of Remy Martin 1738, i dropped the same rig in the water, in the second drop BAM!!! Another one! Fought this one another 30 minutes!! And it felt bigger then the first, i finally got it to the rail, all 3 deckhands, the capt, and the cook where all ready to gaff it when SNAP! It was gone 🤦🏽‍♂️ I had only tied a single SD jam knot, it was strong enough to bring in one big one, but snapped on the second. The capt gave me some well deserved smack talkin 😂 and advised me to use a double sd jam knot from now on. That was it for me that night, a total of 27 100lbs plus tuna where brought on board in a couple hours ALL on glow flat falls. Epic!! Day 2, in the am we stopped and fished for YT and bonitos. I caught a handful of bonito on my spinning setup which was a blast, but all where released. I flew down from SF, and didnt expect to catch a fish that big, so i kept crunching processing and shipping costs in my head 😂. So ya, any other fish people didnt want where going back, that bft was mote then enough for me. Then we continued tk search for bft, live lining and flying the kite, on the day the kite was hot!!! 3 fish over 300lbs caught!! Then I heard my number called!!! Big fish on and i was the next lucky one to fight it!! Man what a fight, brought this one in on the boats big setup (international) in about 20 minutes! It ended up weighting 220lbs gilled and bled!!! Now that brought up my tab significantly, but at this point, i thought to myself, ill just buy a freezer box!! This trip went better then i could have ever hoped for, and set the standard so high, i will never forget my first ever off shore/multi day trip. Even met some cool cats on board, cant wait to be back in july!!!

oh ya, and we had to stop fishing sunday afternoon because no more fish fit in the fish box, so we just chilled the rest of the trip.

setups:

1. Phenix black diamond ML 10-30lbs
Accurate Bv2 400 40lbs braid
(Never saw any acction)

2. Phenix axis Heavy 25-60lbs
Shimano Talica ii 12 65lbs braid
(Fly lining all day with 40lbs floro leader, 1/0 circle hook)

3. Phenix AxisX Heavy 40-100lbs
Accurate Bv2 800N 80lbs multi coolor braid
(Flat fall rig, put in some serious work, have full faith in this setup with big fish)

4. Daiwa Proteus spinning Heavy 65-100lbs
Daiwa Saltiga 14000 80lbs maxcuatro braid
(Popper/surface iron rig, i cant cast a conventional very well, so i brought this along, didnt catch anything on lures but j tied 40lbs leader and a circle hook and caught a bunch of bonito on this setup, super fun)

(My flat fall being pulled from my tunas mouth)

Tuna Massacre

D7044065-0AC3-4A0E-B9DE-3E6EA7794AF7.jpeg3FDEAA31-F4AA-43DD-BB43-28B4DE2D8C04.jpeg

D74EC985-6D2A-4563-A858-9ADAF253542C.jpeg

A168A3F3-4EAE-488E-BA6A-8E5C5323A92F.jpeg

E149B130-39F7-4BC1-BA55-B4682B2E64D7.jpeg

D9148314-158D-4A63-B8C5-897ABAA79D33.jpeg

0DC5E899-AAC7-45F5-B94B-DC1F176730F8.jpeg

Last edited:

muletrain

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 9, 2006
san clemente
Name
mark
Boat
Carolina skiff for the bay / Hobie Mirage
Excellent first trip. You might not EVER have a trip like
that again. Take a moment to really let it sink in what you accomplished. I know friends that have fished out of San Diego boats for over 20 years and NEVER got into a bite like that. You were truly blessed with an EPIC TRIP

CONGRATULATIONS.

Thanks for sharing !!!

_o.c.g_

Nov 7, 2018
Ssf
Name
OSCAR GARCIA
Boat
OSCAR GARCIA
One hell of a first tuna trip people go their whole lives and never see a trip like that congrats
thats what people on board where telling me, the capt said that was one of the best flat fall bites he’s been apart of. It all happened so quick!

Reactions: grahams98

_o.c.g_

Nov 7, 2018
Ssf
Name
OSCAR GARCIA
Boat
OSCAR GARCIA
Good setups in your arsenal. I think it's safe to say you are hooked now.
Thanks! I am, im going back in july for a 4 dayer. 2 of these setups I already had so it just worked out. I bought the other 2 for this trip.

_o.c.g_

Nov 7, 2018
Ssf
Name
OSCAR GARCIA
Boat
OSCAR GARCIA
Excellent first trip. You might not EVER have a trip like
that again. Take a moment to really let it sink in what you accomplished. I know friends that have fished out of San Diego boats for over 20 years and NEVER got into a bite like that. You were truly blessed with an EPIC TRIP

CONGRATULATIONS.

Thanks for sharing !!!
thank you! I definitely heard that by some regulars on the boat that day, guys that had been fishing for many many years got their biggest bft this trip! They said enjoy it, but dont expect that to happen every trip, they all said it was something special! I have a bunch of videos of that night but cant upload them here, wish I could to show yall the true massacre this was. If theres a way let me know. Thanks!

Reactions: Jjt03

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
Congrats on such a great trip.

BTW, as an added bonus, you also took care of a lot of holiday gift shopping--I have yet to meet a fish eating family member or friend who doesn't happily accept packages of professionally sealed primo tuna steaks and roasts. :D

Reactions: _o.c.g_

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
Congrats! You have learned some VERY important lessons on this trip, and one that you may not have realized yet -- the bigger fish and better trips come in October, not July. I do July trips, too, and all months from Memorial Day on, but in forty years of keeping trip records it has never failed that the vast majority of sketchy trips have been in the summer months, and the epic trips have been always in the October/November period.

By all means, come fish next summer! But if money gets tight and you have to make choices, tough it out and wait until the most consistent bite of the year happens.

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
Southern California
Name
Alex
Boat
26'
I had only tied a single SD jam knot, it was strong enough to bring in one big one, but snapped on the second.
Are you saying you didn't retie after the first one that swallowed the jig and was chewing on the line? Because if so it wasn't the knot that broke off the second one. Insane trip dude

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
That is about the best you can do on a trip. Now you have to hope the next one is half as good. Did you put your rods on the plane or were they already in SD?

_o.c.g_

Nov 7, 2018
Ssf
Name
OSCAR GARCIA
Boat
OSCAR GARCIA
Congratulations on a good trip, however IMO the real reason you lost those fish is cause once you hooked up the fish saw your hat and said "Hell no!". Go Dodgers
haha, ya ya, congrats on that ws win 🤮😂

_o.c.g_

Nov 7, 2018
Ssf
Name
OSCAR GARCIA
Boat
OSCAR GARCIA
Congrats on such a great trip.

BTW, as an added bonus, you also took care of a lot of holiday gift shopping--I have yet to meet a fish eating family member or friend who doesn't happily accept packages of professionally sealed primo tuna steaks and roasts. :D
thanks! And thats actually a great idea, i will be giving away alot of it

_o.c.g_

Nov 7, 2018
Ssf
Name
OSCAR GARCIA
Boat
OSCAR GARCIA
Congrats! You have learned some VERY important lessons on this trip, and one that you may not have realized yet -- the bigger fish and better trips come in October, not July. I do July trips, too, and all months from Memorial Day on, but in forty years of keeping trip records it has never failed that the vast majority of sketchy trips have been in the summer months, and the epic trips have been always in the October/November period.

By all means, come fish next summer! But if money gets tight and you have to make choices, tough it out and wait until the most consistent bite of the year happens.
Thank you! Yea, i definitely learned a thing or 2 on this trip, i will keep that in mind, july is more of a birthday trip for me, i will definitely be going back in october/november, and if push comes to shove, the latter will be my only trip, but this time im for sure driving.

Reactions: surfgoose

_o.c.g_

Nov 7, 2018
Ssf
Name
OSCAR GARCIA
Boat
OSCAR GARCIA
Are you saying you didn't retie after the first one that swallowed the jig and was chewing on the line? Because if so it wasn't the knot that broke off the second one. Insane trip dude
ya.....I didnt retie.....the leader seemed fine, but now that you mention it, the first one had that flatfall superdeep down its throat, maybe it chewed the main line.....hmmmmm.

_o.c.g_

Nov 7, 2018
Ssf
Name
OSCAR GARCIA
Boat
OSCAR GARCIA
That is about the best you can do on a trip. Now you have to hope the next one is half as good. Did you put your rods on the plane or were they already in SD?
ya, i was told not to expect that every trip, but the bar was set pretty high. I flew via united, and transported the rods in a bazuka travel rod case. United is expensive to fo that, alaska is much cheaper to travel with over size rod tubes.

May 20, 2017
Huntington Beach
Name
Fish Monger
Boat
WFO
Guys pay big bucks to go on 16 to 22day trips and never get a tuna in the 200 pound class. Through all the negative bullshit the world is going through every so cal fishermen should be thankful for the past 5 yrs of the best bluefin bounty our coast has seen in hundred years. It's one of the only things that has kept me being optimistic and has given me a place to go and recharge the soul. Your first experience offshore fishing is hands down the most epic I've heard in my 53yrs. Congrats