e2_sla

May 21, 2009
Renton, WA
Name
Erik Sweet
Boat
20' Woodlridge, Catch 27
Well,

i will get in line with Dex, and T-Ripper. I took my two older boys out this weekend on Saturday for their first ever duck hunt.

Garth is my oldest son and he loves to fish and hunt, and has been going with me for several years now. Sawyer is actually my biggest kid size wise, is my stepson, and is the middle boy.

So plans were laid as others, and we picked a spot that I have hunted, not always tons of birds early, but I know the area, Garth has been there, and its close to home with tough economy on fuel costs etc.

So weekend started last monday with pulling the decoys out of the storage container (with five kids the better half and I all of us fish and hunt we have a 20' storage container with shelves both sides that is only, fishing, hunting, camping boat, and food storage!) Got out the lead melting gear, and Sawyer and I made up weights for decoys that needed them, and retied all the gear.

Friday rolls around, and four kids help me get out all the gear, waders, jackets, shotguns, ammo, decoys, dog gear etc.

430am Saturday morning, and the boys are out of bed first crack, in their gear, and standing at the door in about 10 minutes. Off we go, fresh coffee from Reeta, load the dog, and we are off. Youth Weekend 2010.

What i have to say i loved the most, is that the boys got 100% of my attention, we talked how to jump shoot a pond, two hunters, who shoots left, who shoots right, all the safety from hunters ed etc.

Anyway, we set up first light, and 10 minutes into it a we have a solo drop in, and they boys are watching the decoys and im saying, here he comes, he commits, wings drop, feet down, and i ask? Hey whos shooting? Umm they didnt even see it!!! Garth jumps, and shoots twice... MISS~~

We sit another 45 minutes, birds flying south of the road, not into us, so we pack and move locations.

First pond we get two eight or ten mallards sitting, we briefly talk over how, who shots which side, and they boys go at it.... Birds UP!!!.. fours shots, dog around the corner...... MISS, MISS, MISS, MISS??? Ok, boys are stoked they got to shoot, bummed they missed.

We set decoys into the pond, walk to far side, have not even sat down, and two hens drop in and land on the water...... OK, same routine, whos shooting left, whos shooting right, and three shots later. each boy bagged a hen!!!

They were absolutely ecstatic, stoked, high fives around, and my lab who has only hunted pheasant and uplands, hits the pond, gets to the first hen, and they refuses to fetch!!!! WTF???

Anyway, boys had a great first trip, each nailed a bird, and we were home for other requirements for the afternoon.

Great to see Dex and T-Ripper getting they boys and grandson out as well!!! This is what we need more of....

Happy hunting this fall fellas!!!!!

60450_1552622089929_1066466185_1524666_3012241_n.jpg

Upvote 0

Hewes OP

Night Crawlers & Powerbait Baby!!
Apr 2, 2010
Arlington, WA
Name
Geoff
Boat
Hewes OceanPro "TIN-ASS-CITY" & Starcraft 1648 Mod V for the ducks
Three of the four things that matter most in life. Family, Friends, and Hunting. fishing is the fourth thing seeing how this is on a fishing forum I guess we can let it slide. Nice Work!!

Upvote 0
C

Cap'n Poon

Excellent report!!! will always remember being out on those youth hunts with my pops! keep up the good work!

Upvote 0

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
I hope the "kids" left some ducks for the "Big Kids" to shoot-at in a couple weeks... Sheish!

These reports today are AWESOME! Way to go Dad's and "Grand"Dads!

Upvote 0

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
Parents who take thier kids hunting and fishing totally KICK ASS in my book!!!

:hali_olutta:

Upvote 0

Salmonmoocher

"Holding My Own Rod"
Sep 9, 2009
Puyallup, WA - USA
Name
Billy Bob
Boat
27' Grady White "Main Break Too", 17' Seaswirl CC "Salmonmoocher"
E Gads, them Boys bagged em some Gadwalls. Got to love the smiles on their faces. Great job Dad getting the boys out and spending quallity time. They never forget!
BB

Upvote 0

e2_sla

May 21, 2009
Renton, WA
Name
Erik Sweet
Boat
20' Woodlridge, Catch 27
Yes I did check the wings, they ARE gadwalls. We did see some males as well several large groups of them flying up there. Cant wait for the real opener, except we gunna be deer hunting for the week, so will get to the waterfowl the following weekend.

Upvote 0