wetdreams

Almost A Member
Jun 13, 2010
CA
Name
Claude
Boat
Outrage 280
Just got back from a 4 day on the Royal Star with my 7 year old. Let me first say that the Captain, Crew, Boat, and Tracy are second to none. I've been on the boat before and each time I'm more impressed.

Quick Recap because I got to get back to work:
Capt. decided to target the big BFT during the evenings and fish the yellowtail bite at the banks during the day. Long story short, it was a brilliant plan. We had a great shot at the bluefin in the evenings, if you were willing to work for them. Over the four days we had numerous cows, and plenty of 50lb. class fish. A few times I hooked up on the 50lb class and yelled out that it's just a small one. Who would have ever guessed I would ever write off a 50lb fish as small. My 7 year old also landed 5 fish over 45lbs. Here are some pics.
Highlight was my first cow @ 225lbs. taken on a Mak 16 and Calstar GFTR XH. Caught on a flat fall that I re-rigged with 200lb Flouro and new hooks (I think the re-rigging saved me). My 7 year old also got to crank on it some, but I was holding him down, so he doesn't go overboard...

Clode Cow Bluefin.jpg IMG_0414.jpg IMG_0399.jpg IMG_0323.jpg IMG_0528.jpg

Upvote 0

HAMBONES

May 28, 2013
Santa Cruz Ca
Name
Jason Hammond
Boat
Royal Star
Just got back from a 4 day on the Royal Star with my 7 year old. Let me first say that the Captain, Crew, Boat, and Tracy are second to none. I've been on the boat before and each time I'm more impressed.

Quick Recap because I got to get back to work:
Capt. decided to target the big BFT during the evenings and fish the yellowtail bite at the banks during the day. Long story short, it was a brilliant plan. We had a great shot at the bluefin in the evenings, if you were willing to work for them. Over the four days we had numerous cows, and plenty of 50lb. class fish. A few times I hooked up on the 50lb class and yelled out that it's just a small one. Who would have ever guessed I would ever write off a 50lb fish as small. My 7 year old also landed 5 fish over 45lbs. Here are some pics.
Highlight was my first cow @ 225lbs. taken on a Mak 16 and Calstar GFTR XH. Caught on a flat fall that I re-rigged with 200lb Flouro and new hooks (I think the re-rigging saved me). My 7 year old also got to crank on it some, but I was holding him down, so he doesn't go overboard...

View attachment 963849 View attachment 963850 View attachment 963851 View attachment 963852 View attachment 963853
Awesome good job dad

Reactions: wetdreams
Upvote 0

bajaandy

Condition One
Jun 13, 2008
Escondido
Name
Andy
Boat
Parker 2530 "WET-O's"
Super cool! For those of us who grew up fishing with our dads, and then became fathers ourselves and taught our sons and daughters to fish, we know how this will encourage your son to engage in a pastime that will bring him years of enjoyment (and frustration!), not to mention memories that will last a lifetime. Awesome trip!

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Hope this gets through....my home system is down, trying to do this through my phone which ive never done before.
This post straight rocks!! What a treasure of cool/killer pics of your boy gettn' it done.....congrats man....so badass!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Reactions: wetdreams
Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
Regarding your Thoreau quote...I'm pretty sure you got the thing (that was not fish) that you were after. Great job. Oh, and nice fish!

Reactions: Fish Asassin
Upvote 0

SCHeadhunter

May 22, 2006
san clemente
Name
Tom
Boat
Sold to the man with $$$
What a great post !

I love it. Take your kids fishing and yea it's expensive but if you are going to take them, put them on a great rig and get them BENDO.

Your son looks like he's having a blast and that's a great BFT that you caught.

"Hey Guys, I'm 7 and my dad and I are out catching cow BFT" . Friken AWESOME

Royal Star is a top tier boat and I'm glad you took your son out with them on a nice 24 passenger limited load style boat. Nice.

If i wasn't hooked into the boat I have been chartering for the last 20 years, I would fish with them. They have an excellent program for sure.

I started taking my sons on the PS when they where 8 and 10 respectively. My youngest really loves it and has become a very competent fisherman. He's now 26.

Upvote 0

sabalo1964

Dec 7, 2015
North america
Name
Sabalo
Boat
36 yellowfin
Love to see that- that's how you get your kids into fishing. Just like every other sport,baseball / football they have to start young if you want to get good at it. It also keeps them away from the bullshit in life. I was bringing my boy on live aboards in Cuba when he was 6. Now hes 14 and hes caught multiple cow tuna, many 800lb plus marlin, 60lb roosters and traveled several countries fishing with me. Some Dads and sons golf, we fish. They are both great father/son bonding sports.
Cheers and keep taking him.

Upvote 0

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
This is awesome! Way to go dad! These memories will last a life time.

I just gave my funeral speech last weekend....regarding my own dad...and of all the memories...all the things he taught me....taking me out fishing offshore on SD boats was the tops!

Well done and congratulations on a great trip!

Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    You have created a MONSTER FISHERMAN. Congratulations to you both for an outstanding trip and report.

Upvote 0