First Bow

PNWMatt2016

Sep 12, 2016
Bothell
Name
Matt Frazier
Boat
Need One!
Alright a**holes, I say that with as much BD love as my bloody heart can protrude. I'm getting into Bow Hunting, I need to put down some game next season and prove to my wife (yeah that's not going to happen) that time in the woods is well spent and come home with enough meat to finally make her smile! Who is a bow hunter here and what bow would you recommend for a first year guy like me. About to get fitted this week. Prep will be post season 2020 to next Sept! Should I look at a used package online (HuntWA Group, Craigslist, etc) or should I go for a lower level/but quality intro bow new from a retailer? Bear, Diamond, etc etc. Budget would need to be $500 or under for whole package (minus case).

Thanks All
Matt

koorbloh

Lion hunter
Jun 16, 2010
Monroe, WA
Name
Jeff
Boat
17' Smokercraft Osprey
I really enjoy archery in my yard. I can shoot 50 yards no problem--well, I have the space. I'm OK out to 40 and need to get better at 50. I got the Diamond Core a few years ago. I've only really started hunting with it seriously this year. I've found that the bow isn't limiting, BUT the things strapped to it are. I upgraded the rest, and I want to upgrade it again to a fall-away. I want to upgrade the stabilizer. The sight is fine. A new release has helped. Next upgrade for me is arrows and then proper paper tuning.

I told myself that a new bow is my "first archery deer" present, but I didn't get it done in September--so, we'll see how December goes.

PNWMatt2016

Sep 12, 2016
Bothell
Name
Matt Frazier
Boat
Need One!
Appreciate the advice and input! When I do get my bow, it would be great to find a spot and practice shooting (outside of a range). If you ever have the ability to share your space for some target practice, I'd love get some shots in. Be happy to bring some beers and lunch! I've been thinking of actually getting someones "first bow" setup with their upgrades and spend a little more money, than retail for a new introductory bow. A little use on it is fine by me... Get into some deep old woods and walk quietly and very slow. Or post up on a big cut for your first few hours and last few hours, while mid day you walk some trails.

koorbloh

Lion hunter
Jun 16, 2010
Monroe, WA
Name
Jeff
Boat
17' Smokercraft Osprey
I've got room, hell yeah. I can just setup my targets and tear down in a few minutes. I'd be happy to help you get started once you have a bow setup for your draw length. I'm no expert but I can show you what I do.

First thing though, find someone to help you fit the bow to your draw length, and get a decent release.

I've enjoyed the archery season. It's nice not having to dodge as many other hunters and having longer seasons.

Reactions: PNWMatt2016

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
Have you thought about a muzzle-loading season for Deer/Elk? Lot's of opportunities out there. I used to hunt them quite a bit. I have all the gear you need if your interested. At this point, I don't see myself getting back into it.......

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
You really can't go wrong with any well known model less than 10 year's old.

Definitely buy used make sure you are going to enjoy it before buying a new personalized set up.
Buying used you'll want to figure out your length of pull/ draw length, ideal draw weight, and arrow combination.
I'm shooting a bowtech right now.. It's a screamer and I can shoot heavy arrows accurately. But not all bows shoot the same or like the same arrow/ broadbead combination.

If your on Hunt wa buy someone's used set up and have it adjusted for you if necessary. Spend all off season shooting it, different distances, angles, etc .. shooting at targets is not the same as sealing the deal on an animal.

With that said bow hunting is awesome. Not as many idiots, liberal seasons at good times of the year, and way more enjoyable than the madness of rifle season.

SureThing

Dec 12, 2011
Enumclaw/wa
Name
Mark
Boat
22' Arima SureThing
The best thing you can do for yourself is to get set up at a quality pro shop that can size the equipment for you. You don’t need the fastest or most expensive equipment but you do need the bow to be set up right and fit you. The arrows need to Match your set up. Again I would go with mid range to start with. You should try drawing a few different bows in your price range. All the accessories can be upgraded as your skill /interest increases. The other thing you should try out prior to buying is the type of release. There are a lot of different ones out there they all have there advantages and disadvantages. Most of them boil down to personal preference. You have to try a few to figure that out. One that hooks on to a D loop is what I prefer for hunting consistency.
once you are set up you should look into joining a archery club/range. The guys out there will help you through any issues you will be working through. Typically during the winter most clubs will have a indoor shoot league. You will find the guys there will help you along. You can get good used equipment from them or they will show you how to tune and work on your set up.
lastly, late winter early spring the 3-D shoots start around the state. This is the best practice you can get from the real thing. You typically get to shoot at 30-40 life sized 3-d foam animals at un marked yardage in the woods. Best part is you don’t have to clean them or pack them out of the woods.

Reactions: PNWMatt2016

PNWMatt2016

Sep 12, 2016
Bothell
Name
Matt Frazier
Boat
Need One!
Thanks all. EJ, I've hunted muzzleload and enjoyed it, but I want to be in the woods during the heat of the elk rut come September. I love to call and getting as close as possible.

I appreciate the sound advice. I bought 3 package session for 1 on 1 intro to bow hunting at next step. I've had 2 sessions and love it so far. Im planning on heading down to Rock creek to get fitted. Im a member on HuntWA and all the guys speak really highly of that place. Ill probably end up purchasing a used package from someone on that sight. As you huys have said, I want to be comfortable and be able to shoot well and use the bow to the max... i don't need fancy right now! I was just watching release option videos today...only have tried the wrist wrap finger trigger...but i think I might dig a thumb release. Chocolate addiction looked right up my ally..but...need to try it!

I want to shoot some 3ds to understand shot placement and get away from red/white target blocks lol

Lead Head

Jul 5, 2016
Kitsap
Name
Drew
Boat
Broke Dick Deckhand
I would suggest buying the best you can afford. Archery talk forums is a great spot to pick up lightly used gear at half of retail. I currently shoot Prime, but I'll be in the market for a new bow next year. In my opinion the leaders of the pack right now are Bowtech and PSE. I would look at the Revolt or Revolt X followed by EVO NTN on the PSE side. These can be had used for $700-900. Definitely better to buy a used flagship model rather than a new lower end model in my opinion. Don't forget to calc the costs of accessories you're going to need as well.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have on setup, tuning and building of arrows as I'm knee deep in this stuff.