First Boat Project-1987 Cabo 216

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Had some fun over the last couple of days and build a teak bow pulpit. That's it for the teak but I think it will be well balanced throughout the boat. I haven't decided whether or not to put the original stainless roller on the front or buy a new Lewmar or something else.

IMG_5960.jpg
IMG_5961.jpg
IMG_5962.jpg
IMG_5963.jpg

Errin

Snorkeler
Jun 22, 2015
Santa Barbara
Name
Errin
Boat
Cabo 216
Which one is that? I plan to glue in a piece of aluminum under the cap to make the mount nice and strong.
There are many manufactures who produce very similar products. I'm sure you can find the same roller for less but a quick Google search produces this:

Reactions: Lifeislarge

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
This fuggin sanding will never end. For a break I decided to make the inner window frames. My outer frames are still intact and will get a coat of paint but one of the inner frames had fallen apart so I took some starboard and routered out new frames.

IMG_5981.jpg
IMG_5982.jpg

Also made the mold for my Simrad box on the console. Got it all glassed in and will pop it tomorrow. Hopefully got all those angles right.

IMG_5983.jpg

Supposed to be 80 degrees tomorrow so will be back to fairing the hull and if all goes well, glassing in the new addition to the console.

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
So this worked out pretty good. Popped the mold first thing this morning and after some trimming it fell right into place. Glued it in and once that sets up I'll tab it with some CSM and fair it in. Now all I need is to find a Simrad NSS7 Evo2.

IMG_5987.jpg
IMG_5988.jpg
IMG_5989.jpg
IMG_5990.jpg

Reactions: Fishbones

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
You can fit a 12inch screen in the middle
Damn that fits perfectly in there but I already have a brand new 9 for that spot and the 7 is the only thing that'll fit on the port side and I don't want to use gauges if I don't have to. I'm also not willing to spend the $$$ for a 12 just to fill the space. Two things that bug me about boating, the cost of engines and the cost of electronics.

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Damn that fits perfectly in there but I already have a brand new 9 for that spot and the 7 is the only thing that'll fit on the port side and I don't want to use gauges if I don't have to. I'm also not willing to spend the $$$ for a 12 just to fill the space. Two things that bug me about boating, the cost of engines and the cost of electronics.
    What's another 2k on top of the 100k you've spent?

Reactions: Errin

Dan Salazar

Aug 23, 2014
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Dan Salazar
    Boat
    Rum Runner
    Had some fun over the last couple of days and build a teak bow pulpit. That's it for the teak but I think it will be well balanced throughout the boat. I haven't decided whether or not to put the original stainless roller on the front or buy a new Lewmar or something else.

View attachment 1252812View attachment 1252813View attachment 1252814View attachment 1252815

View attachment 1252812View attachment 1252813View attachment 1252814View attachment 1252815

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
    Jax Beach
    Name
    Erik Batsford
    Boat
    Cabo 216 Cuddycon
    Had some fun the last couple days on breaks from sanding and made the molds for the cabin ceiling trim and the cover panel for the electrical and helm. Both were old rotted out plywood and my wife hates carpet so fiberglass it is. There'll still be some carpet in there but not as much.

Popped the ceiling panel out of the mold this morning, trimmed it down and boom, we have a part. I ended up coring it with some 1/4" ply just because.

Tomorrow I'll laminate the panel for the back of the helm. Also got the addition to the console faired in and it looks like it was meant to be there. This has turned into a custom and I really didn't anticipate this level of dedication from myself.

IMG_6004.jpg

IMG_6005.jpg

IMG_6007.jpg

IMG_6008.jpg

IMG_6009.jpg

IMG_6012.jpg

IMG_5994.jpg

Reactions: Fishbones

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
    Jax Beach
    Name
    Erik Batsford
    Boat
    Cabo 216 Cuddycon
    Got the cabin panels loosely fitted today and installed the cover for the helm wiring on a piano hinge to make access to the back a lot easier. I'll pick up a Gemlux latch for it and with a bit of tweaking and tuning should be great. Really happy with the way these turned out. I'll be painting the inside of the helm white and installing a light in there so it'll be clean and easy to see if need be.

Also ground out all the old adhesive from the carpet in there and did some cleaning and fairing. Gotta have that new boat smell.

IMG_6027.jpg

IMG_6028.jpg

IMG_6029.jpg

IMG_6025.jpg

IMG_6026.jpg

Reactions: URN and Fishbones

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
    Jax Beach
    Name
    Erik Batsford
    Boat
    Cabo 216 Cuddycon
    Today felt like a major turning point. Started making holes instead of fixing them. Finally got the bracket fitted and all the holes drilled to mount it once everything is painted. Tomorrow I take it to be sand blasted so I can paint it. It's better than I imagined even with all the ugly.

IMG_6037.jpg

IMG_6039.jpg

IMG_6040.jpg

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
    Jax Beach
    Name
    Erik Batsford
    Boat
    Cabo 216 Cuddycon
    Got the guide coat on the hull sides and straight sanded from 36 to 100 grit. I am sincerely impressed at how straight this hull is after 34 years. Only a few nicks and scratches to fill at this point all the way up to the rub rail. Bottom pic is one pass with 36 grit. If all goes well I should be priming next week.

IMG_6078.jpg
    IMG_6079.jpg

dwaynesda

dwayne
    Apr 27, 2003
    santee
    Visit site
    Name
    dwayne
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    I was invited to take a factory tour of the Cabo factory in Corona. John was very proud of the product he was putting out. At the time , he was using state of the art glass and resin materials and laid the hulls by hand and made them way thicker than his competition. He refused to use a chopper gun to speed it up. It is amazing how many of these 30 year old hulls are still around and in top notch shape.

Reactions: Errin