I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Trim tabs to!
I already have a new Lenco switch and module, just have to find some actuators and plates at a good price.

So the aluminum backing plates for the bracket bedded in nicely and I got 5 layers of 1708 tabbed in and laid up on the inside of the transom. Some grinding and fairing and the transom is done. Next up is fairing the hull.

IMG_5595.jpg

IMG_5608.jpg

Reactions: Fishbones

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Progress, never perfection. Seats are done for the coolers. I'm not sure I have a career ahead of me as a seamster. I think I must've pulled more staples than I put in.

I did reshape the back cushion after seeing it mounted so It's perfectly symmetrical now.

IMG_5611.jpg
IMG_5612.jpg
IMG_5613.jpg
IMG_5614.jpg

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
That really look good, you continue to do some nice quality work.

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Missing the fiberglass itch yet?

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Missing the fiberglass itch yet?
Lol no. Thankfully I'm about 98% done with any grinding unless I find something on the hull. Just the bow seat to sew and a bunch of fairing left now. And the windshield, and the interior, and the primer and paint, and the rigging, and the T-top, aaaand....

I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton of stuff but the seats seemed like a monumental task and now they're mostly done so "check". I'm hoping I can find cushions for the cuddy without having to make them as well.

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Man this weather sucks for anything epoxy. We've been in the 50's and 60's for the past week and a half with a couple days in the 70's here and there but not getting much fairing done.

So I decided to get freaky with some teaky. Made the door and frame for the battery compartment hack and I think with the teak platform and the teak transom cap it's all going to tie in nicely. That compartment is cavernous and there will be plenty of room to house the wash down pump and whatever else goes in there.

I know some don't like teak, especially manufacturers these days because of the cost and upkeep but I'm old enough to still appreciate good wood and the craftsmanship behind it. I can't wait to see it all come together.

IMG_5677.jpg

IMG_5679.jpg

Fishbones

Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
Do yourself a favor and just oil it... you’ll be a slave to varnish if not...

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Do yourself a favor and just oil it... you’ll be a slave to varnish if not...
That's the plan. It really takes nothing to put a coat or two of oil on the teak every few months and I really prefer the finish to all the high gloss varnish and epoxy I've seen.

Reactions: Fishbones

216 Cabo

Nov 19, 2020
El Cajon
Name
Ken
Boat
216 Cabo
would love to check out you work in progress. Maybe I could come up with some good ideas for my 216 Cabo.

Fishbones

Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
Updates?

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Yeah it's bloody cold outside. Been in the 50's and 60's for a couple weeks now and it's not good for epoxy. I've got the transom done and ready for primer, and will hopefully get some weather to shoot it soon. I'm in Northeast Florida and we usually get a few weeks of colder weather in January.

The legs for the teak splashwell platform are done and in for powder coat. I've decided to glass in the center panel on the helm/console to flushmount electronics. I'll follow the slope on the front side of the console and then drop it down and blend it in like it was meant to be there. I'm also planning on making glass panels for the cuddy ceiling and the panel that covers the wiring which on my boat are rotten plywood with carpet. This is an old pic. All the holes are gone now except for the compass. Because I don't know yet what I'm powering with I thought it was best to be completely fresh except for the helm itself.

monitor panel.jpg

Otherwise I've been pretty busy with a new business venture. I went to see a friend a few months ago who owns a custom fabrication shop building custom towers and t-tops about helping me design and build a top for the Cabo. Well one thing lead to another and now I own a good part of the company. Guess I'll be getting a good deal on a custom top but it's taking all my time in the short term working out expanding the business. We do towers for some pretty good names and the product is phenomenal but we need a new location and more people to take it to the next level. Love designing and building beautiful things for beautiful boats. Some of the stuff we do...

Dark Water 2.jpg
Front Runner 1.jpg
Front runner 3.jpg

I'll post some pics of my progress later this week when I get a chance.

Fishbones

Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
Congrats on the new venture

Reactions: Lifeislarge

Dragon

It is what it is...
May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
Nice Lines, on the bending not just a bunch of straight sticks...Very Clean!

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Still too cold to do anything useful. 100 miles south and I’d be fine grrrrr. Got the bases for the teak splashwell deck back from powder coat so I’ll hopefully get that finished and out of the way this week. I’ve got rubber feet that go on the legs. The longer legs rest at the bottom of the splashwell and the short ones rest on the ledge on the back side of the livewells. Probably make more sense when I have the teak on them.

57BAB1D4-EA23-43FD-B2A8-F9EFB3F7E39F.jpeg
78B94C6D-94EA-427C-A4E2-81FA918EF488.jpeg

Reactions: One_Leg

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Platform is done other than routering out some slots for hand grips and a light sanding on the teak and some teak oil. Turned out great, nice and solid, and it's easily removable. Wifey will enjoy lounging on there, it'll make stepping over the transom off the bracket platform much easier and it will make a great casting deck.

IMG_5816.jpg
IMG_5817.jpg
IMG_5815.jpg
IMG_5814.jpg

Sf_Montauk_17

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 20, 2016
San Francisco
Name
Steven Ng
Boat
1977 Boston Whaler Montauk 17
When you are done can I drop my boat off with you for a few years to? I would love to apply some modifications for me. You are talented!

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
When you are done can I drop my boat off with you for a few years to? I would love to apply some modifications for me. You are talented!
Lol not sure I'm ready or willing to go pro just yet but I appreciate the thought. Finally got the boat up on stands so I can sand and fair the hull. With the gantry yanking the trailer was a piece of piss. Pulled the decals off this afternoon and man, it feels like shit just got real!!! I was actually pleasantly surprised at how easily those decals came off after 34 years.

Bottom is grazed pretty good with what looks like oyster bed rash so there'll be some scratch repairs necessary but nothing too serious. The goal is a sheet of glass but reality might be more like glass from the 1800's. Time will tell if I can get it right but I can't wait to find out.

IMG_5898.jpg
IMG_5899.jpg

Reactions: repo805

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
One thing at a time... One thing at a time...

Teak transom cap is shaped and just needs to be rounded over on the top edges.

IMG_5924.jpg
IMG_5925.jpg

Also mocked up my addition to the helm that'll house the 9 inch Simrad and maybe something else. I'm looking for a 7 inch to put in the spot where the gauges used to be.

IMG_5922.jpg

IMG_5923.jpg