First Boat Project-1987 Cabo 216

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Finally got four layers of 1700 down on the transom. Going to need to get some 1708 to build thickness but it'll be strong. Feels like progress.

IMG_5454.jpg

Reactions: Fishbones

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Busted out a little mold today to make a lid to go over the bait catch which is open on my boat. Don't like having a hole where people will be walking, sitting, lounging naked...

IMG_5469.jpg
IMG_5470.jpg
IMG_5471.jpg

rdrrm8e

Fucking Stan
Nov 19, 2003
Anaheim
bdoutdoors.com
Name
chuck
Boat
No
Howdy y'all. I bought my first boat this week after living at the beach in NE Florida for 11 years. I've always had access to OPB's and was hesitant to buy one until now. And it's a doozy. Not sure why I always end up with weird stuff but having looked at boats and Googling the heck out of every model that caught my eye (and lurking on here) I saw this one come up and went for it. It's a 1987 Cabo 216 Cuddycon. I always liked the idea of a CC but with a wife who's reticent about boating and young grand children I figured a small cuddy was the way to go.

These boats seem to have a good reputation on the West Coast and have a lot of space to get around the console. I like the 110 gallon tank for going offshore and the rear deck space is ample with plenty of storage and baitwells. Boat came with a running 94 Evinrude 200, hydraulic steering and a Si-Tex SP-70 auto-pilot. I don't know how any of this works. I was a mechanic for the first 10 years of my work life and have done a bunch of carpentry so at least I'm tooled up and have some idea of how to use them.

This week I managed to bring it home on shoddy tires, build a sturdy gantry, and remove the middle console and fuel tank. Boat needs to be rewired so I'll try to tackle that while the new tank is being built. The wiring at the helm is a mess and all the switches and gauges need to be replaced. Most of everything below deck needs to be replaced. But it should clean up nicely and be a good boat to learn some stuff on.

user_online.gif

View attachment 1073463 View attachment 1073464 View attachment 1073465 View attachment 1073466
You probably know this but you keep saying "90's" and "Tees". You want to use sweeps for your wiring routes.

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
You probably know this but you keep saying "90's" and "Tees". You want to use sweeps for your wiring routes.
Not sure when I said that but I can assure you that I've learned a lot in the last year. Probably spent enough time studying wiring how to's to earn a college credit. This whole experience has been amazing and if I never build another boat, at least I'll speak boat fluently.

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Popped the mold on my lid this morning and I'm pretty happy with the results. Made sure I had enough material in the mold to cut out the lid, and a flange to glue in to support it. Both fit beautifully after some adjustments.

Used my router with a cutting wheel to get a nice flush cut on both the lid and the flange. Used an angled bit to get the slope on the lid right as well. Love my router and that lift table is awesome.

Keeping in mind that it's all going to be painted I wasn't too concerned about the final finish on the lid but it came out better than expected. A little final sanding and fairing and we're off to the races.

Still have to grind out the recesses in the frame for the hinges but there's plenty of material there and it sits on another flange so all good there. With non-skid it'll look like it came from the factory.

It's a small win but a fun little side project and for me, the devil is always in the details.

IMG_5473.jpg
IMG_5474.jpg
IMG_5475.jpg
IMG_5476.jpg
IMG_5477.jpg
IMG_5479.jpg
IMG_5481.jpg
IMG_5478.jpg

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Went and picked up some teak this morning and mocked up my removable splashwell platform. There's four drains going into it so enclosing it to make storage wasn't going to work. I think this will be an awesome addition for lounging, casting, or even a large cooler if the stern can handle the weight. Next I'll weld up the frames and finish the planks with nonskid.

IMG_5497.jpg

IMG_5498.jpg

IMG_5500.jpg

rustman

• Aug 4, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Name
    Rusty
    Boat
    1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
    Went and picked up some teak this morning and mocked up my removable splashwell platform. There's four drains going into it so enclosing it to make storage wasn't going to work. I think this will be an awesome addition for lounging, casting, or even a large cooler if the stern can handle the weight. Next I'll weld up the frames and finish the planks with nonskid.
    I find the splash well a great area to bleed fish after I have spiked them. When the bleed out in the splash well it cleans itself and I have no blood on the deck. I have had (3) 50 LB tuna inside the well at once while they bled out.
    View attachment 1222605

View attachment 1222606

View attachment 1222607

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
    Jax Beach
    Name
    Erik Batsford
    Boat
    Cabo 216 Cuddycon
    I can still do that. The whole thing is designed to be easily removable and only weighs maybe 30lbs. This boat has to be multi purpose as I have a wife and grand kids to contend with. We have a lot of good sandbars and the intracoastal to cruise on so I feel like I’m getting the best of both worlds with this boat. Leaving the Splashwell open just seemed like a whole lot of wasted space. And for $60 all in and some time it’s not like it’s a major project.

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
    Nov 7, 2005
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
    That would be an easy way to get back on board the boat from the swimstep also

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
    Jax Beach
    Name
    Erik Batsford
    Boat
    Cabo 216 Cuddycon
    That would be an easy way to get back on board the boat from the swimstep also
    Definitely. Having climbed over the splashwell umpty-nine times since enclosing the transom I can see it being a hazard if left open. Having the extra teak there will also add to the overall character of the boat. There's been a departure from it in the last decade or so but I still dig it.

The door to the new storage where the battery box used to be will be matching teak as well so it ties it all together. Photoshopped rendition and not actual size but you get the jist. Those blobs on either side will be Lumitec courtesy lights. lol feathering repairs always makes them look so much worse than they were.

IMG_5502.JPG

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
    Jax Beach
    Name
    Erik Batsford
    Boat
    Cabo 216 Cuddycon
    Getting some fairing done on the transom. I think I’m going to cap it off with a nicely blended piece of teak.

3471A562-EBC6-40A2-9E3B-CE358C5C8DC6.jpeg

Love that I’ve been able to find some stuff to keep certain things original. Perko sleeves and lips for the seating console rod holders. Also ordered all my hose for the boat this week.

72F315B4-AB58-446D-9253-1585AFC24D9F.jpeg

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
    Jax Beach
    Name
    Erik Batsford
    Boat
    Cabo 216 Cuddycon
    Got my final skim coat on the outside of the transom and bedded in 2" aluminum flat bar to the inside of the splashwell to brace the bracket. Hopefully get all that glassed in and faired by the end of the week then it's time to do some priming topside and fair the hull. I'll finally have to get it off the trailer and on stands. Plan on hanging it to paint the bottom.

Got another big box of goodies today. All the plumbing and fuel hoses. Starting to see a flicker of light at the end of the tunnel.

IMG_5563.jpg

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
    Jax Beach
    Name
    Erik Batsford
    Boat
    Cabo 216 Cuddycon
    Okay so maybe it wasn't my final skim coat. Fairing is not one of my strong suits. I always end up putting too much compound on, in mostly the wrong places, and sanding it all off again. I am getting better with all the practice I've had on this transom. It's almost perfectly flat which seems kind of important when attaching a big bracket that needs to be sealed.

I ended up buying an 8 foot piece of square aluminum tubing to use as a straight edge across the transom. So far it's worked out great. I also experimented with using graphite powder to see the dings and sanding marks. Maybe someone can chime in on the potential pitfalls of doing this. Made sure I cleaned it off as well as I could before adding more fairing compound. The line for the angle on the transom is straight though and if it takes me 6 rounds of compound and sanding to make it like a sheet of glass then so be it.

On the inside of the splashwell I've got 2" aluminum flatbar bedded in to back brace the bracket mounts. That'll all be tabbed in with the addition to the transom and covered with a few layers of 1700 and 1708 so the transom and bracket should be solid. Once the transom is faired inside and out it's time to get her off the trailer and fair the hull. I'm finding muscles I didn't know existed using the damn flat board but it's honest work so I won't complain too loudly.

IMG_5590.jpg
    IMG_5587.jpg

Reactions: agarcia and SD2600

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
    Nov 7, 2005
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
    Add a little coloring agent, I’ve heard colored chalk works too

Reactions: Lifeislarge

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
    Jax Beach
    Name
    Erik Batsford
    Boat
    Cabo 216 Cuddycon
    I tried the blue chalk in from a chalk line and it worked kinda too but was really blue and I wasn't thrilled with the outcome. The powdered graphite worked really well to show the low spots and the scratches but it too is messy. Might try denatured alcohol with dye in it next.

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
    Jax Beach
    Name
    Erik Batsford
    Boat
    Cabo 216 Cuddycon
    The weather here turned frigid overnight so there was no working outside today. Instead, I figured it was time to learn how to sew upholstery. This is the beginnings of the seat back for the cooler seats.

IMG_5597.jpg

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
    Jax Beach
    Name
    Erik Batsford
    Boat
    Cabo 216 Cuddycon
    Well level one of upholstery school is complete. I think it turned out pretty good for my first shot at this. Not nearly as lumpy or uneven in person as it appears in the pics. The 3/8ths Starboard backer is held in place by stainless T nuts and screws. Main thing is that it covers the bin in the seating console perfectly and is rigid enough to be used as a shelf when open.

IMG_5603.jpg
    IMG_5604.jpg
    IMG_5602.jpg

Reactions: repo805

Sf_Montauk_17

Aug 20, 2016
    San Francisco
    Name
    Steven Ng
    Boat
    1977 Boston Whaler Montauk 17
    You are a gifted person. I look forward to all the future updates...As far as the repower goes, I'd rather have the extra power on reserve as well.. Your theory sounds correct to me. It's like 4wd vs 2wd...

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
    Jax Beach
    Name
    Erik Batsford
    Boat
    Cabo 216 Cuddycon
    You are a gifted person. I look forward to all the future updates...As far as the repower goes, I'd rather have the extra power on reserve as well.. Your theory sounds correct to me. It's like 4wd vs 2wd...
    Lol more likely stubborn and cheap but I like the way "gifted" sounds :D

Still a ways away from having to make a decision on the repower but will first have to put 600 lbs on the bracket and see how she sits in the water. I have an old HPDI 200 on a rack in the shop that I can hang just to see what it looks like but those are still 100 pounds lighter than a 4 stroke. Probably easier to fill a 55 gallon drum with water and strap it down.